Why is Pulseaudio the default over Pipewire?

I installed Manjaro on a new laptop and had a problem with bluetooth audio earbuds and right codec for high quality. I got the LDAC codec working simply by removing Pulseaudio and then installing pipewire-pulseaudio (and pipewire-jack). I just wonder why this is not the default. Afaik pipewire is better, is working, and is like pro AAA wonder suitable for serious audio work. Also it fix bluetooth hifi audio, for my dear shiny pro Huawei freebuds.

Shouldn’t this pipewire feature be default and the greatness promoted with with a huge fanfare?

Also, why keep Pulseaudio when it doesn’t work?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I am exclusively running PulseAudio here on my system, and it works well enough for me.

Bluetooth issues are a different thing and have nothing to do with either PulseAudio or Pipewire.

That is true in most cases, but Pipewire is generally considered to be better and more modernized. Is there a specific reason for keeping Pulse as the default besides “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”?

The fact that this:arrow_down:

… is not true. Pipewire is still not considered mature enough, and too many people here at the forum are reporting problems with it.

Also, Manjaro follows Arch in most things, and I think Arch is also still defaulting to PulseAudio.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Doesn’t Arch default to no sound server?

I don’t know. I’m only running Manjaro here. :wink:

1 Like

That’s the wrong way to do this and will possibly remove other necessary packages. The correct way is just to install manjaro-pipewire, which will ask to replace any conflicting packages.

Also, Arch still installs pulse audio by default if you install any package that depends on it. You have to specify pipewire-pulse if you want it instead.

1 Like

see this

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I am exclusively running PulseAudio here on my system, and it works well enough for me.

I don’t know why either, but it didn’t work with PulseAudio and I did get the LDAC codec to work simply by installing Pipewire. The hifi audio option just gave no audio at all with PulseAudio. LDAC can do 990 kbps at 24 bit/96 kHz, I guess Pipewire can handle that but PulseAudio can not. Anyway I did not get a it-just–works experience with PA, and got the Pipewire solution from others on net with same problem.

Pipewire is still not considered mature enough, and too many people here at the forum are reporting problems with it.

Not sure who is considering this or what ‘too many reports about problems’ means. My case is at least one for Pipewire as a solution. There are serious problems/limitations with PulseAudio and difficulties with Jack-Pulseaudio bridge. I mean the pulse and jack combo, for using for example Ardour for audio work, is a huge mess. I am sure a lot have been reporting problems with that as well, and I am sure a lot just left because the platform was not mature enough for audio work.

I see Fedora considers Pipewire mature enough since 2021, Ubuntu since autumn 2022, and Debian 12 will go with Pipewire (summer 2023 I think).

That’s the wrong way to do this and will possibly remove other necessary packages. The correct way is just to install manjaro-pipewire, which will ask to replace any conflicting packages.

Also, Arch still installs pulse audio by default if you install any package that depends on it. You have to specify pipewire-pulse if you want it instead.

Thanks. Eh I installed that manjaro-pipewire now and hope I am ok.
About that dependency thing I hope it will be clear for me if/when that happens. For me it sounds like a bug, as the service already is handled by pipewire-pulseaudio and no package should have pulseaudio package as dependency.

You might want to remind the developers at Mozilla about that then. Last I checked, Firefox requires PulseAudio nowadays — or at least, if you’re going to be listening to sound through Firefox, such as from YouTube.

may i ask, could you have a look at my forum posting?

i have a problem with Audacious and Pulse Audio on a standard installation:

if you have any ideas how to solve my problem, then please respond to me there.
Big Thanks!

This is where provides comes in: pipewire-pulseaudio pretends to be pulseaudio.

1 Like

Manjaro i3wm only has ALSA by default so there is no one default audio server for all Manjaro ISOs

Manjaro users can switch between audio servers simply by installing metapackages so the default is not important. More important is that all users should have a free choice to use whatever packages suit their needs and other users should not be suggesting one solution only.

PipeWire replacement for JACK has been tested and found wanting by pro-users (Unfa never published the benchmarks for pipewire-jack)
For some pro-audio use-cases JACK is still the better option, but for some use-cases the optimal solution for low latency and and fidelity is no sound servers.
Ardour developers/community usually recommend using just ALSA

The limitation is probably from using a high latency, non-persistent Bluetooth device with JACK set for small buffer sizes and realtime scheduling used for pro-audio devices.
Documentation for bluez-alsa explains this better than PulseAudio
Using BlueALSA with the JACK Audio Connection Kit · arkq/bluez-alsa Wiki · GitHub

PipeWire users are not yet capable of resolving issues with PipeWire and ALSA
PulseAudio was not very good when I first started using it on Manjaro 8 years ago, and not very well known by the community. It took about 2 years for forum discussions to get PulseAudio up to “100th monkey” level

ALSA support was reinstated by Arch in 2019 - implementation of --enable-alsa in Firefox | Arch Linux Forums
Firefox page about:buildconfig shows 2 audio options: --enable-alsa --enable-jack
Firefox - Get ALSA working back | ArchWiki

1 Like