Why does Manjaro freeze and Windows doesn't?

I am using a toshiba A305-S6872 with dual boot Windows 10 / Manjaro plasma as of 30/Sep2023. Before I only used Linux Mint and I started having freezes and restarts very frequently since April 2023. I tried all the distributions based on Ubuntu-demian and I continued to have the same problems mentioned. However, in Windows I don’t have those problems and in Manjaro I still have freezes but not as frequent. What could be causing this problem?

Maybe include system info such as inxi -Fazy

One thing you can try is installing a different kernel. Depending on the hardware, sometimes newer LTS or stable kernels may solve the issue.

In lieu of some “helpful” person taking you on a 100+ post ride in this thread asking questions one by one like it’s a instant messenger and not asking for a single log in the process (you know who you are)…

Logs or it didn’t happen.

Hint: This link is contained in the link above:

OK in the next occurrence of the freezing problem I will give you more details. Thanks for your attention and greetings.

My comment is hypothesising over the fact that hardware is extensively tested for and with Windows - and supporting the same hardware with Linux support is added as an afterthought.

It is a hypothesis that Windows kernel - due to the personal computer dominans - it may have more workarounds for hardware problems than Linux.

We had a saying 20 years ago

Linux doesn’t break hardware - it expose flaws in the hardware

When such flaws are discovered while using Linux - the hwid and a quirk for that hardware may be added the kernel source … or not :man_shrugging: - in any case try the latest stable or perhaps build the mainline kernel yourself.

Linux can afford to not support quirky exotic hardware - Windows cannot - why - because the device came with Windows installed - and this is likely the cause of the Windows Certification stamp you see on certain hardware.

3 Likes

I appreciate your comments and let me tell you that my laptop is from 2008 and for that reason the newer Linux distros bring out those flaws. At the moment I am not going to buy a new laptop until I investigate which would be the most suitable for using Linux distributions. If you have any suggestions as to what type of laptop would be the most suitable, I accept suggestions. Greetings from Querétaro Mexico.

I am new to this forum and thanks for the comments, I will take them into account. Greetings

Have a look here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Category:Laptops

https://www.linlap.com/doku.php

How about…

We can’t help without more information.

Then you might be better off installing an older LTS kernel like 5.15, 5.4 or 4.19.

Does not compute.

Thanks for this info. Greetings

There are now several manufacturers of Linux Focused computers, System 76 is near your part of the World, they might be worth while investigating.

There are several others you can find with a quick search.

Ok, thanks for this info. Greetings

1 Like

Indeed. They are very near my part of the world and I’ve bought two laptops from them.

1 Like

I had also freeze’s or system restarts when i first used Manjaro, but only if i do demanding stuff like Video Encoding but my system was fully stable in Windows…

After a few month, i decided to downclock my OC CPU inside Linux, instead 4700Mhz for Windows i used 4500 Mhz with Linux and archived a stable CPU/System here now.

So from my perspective, i think that Linux rely alot more on stable Hardware… how you archive this goal is another story for your system.

But here my few points:

-Check your Temps

-Raise Vcore a little for your CPU or Reduce Mhz a little.

If this not helping, maybe try the same for your RAM’s.

I also use a Linux Laptop from Tuxedo… they are expensive, but they working and you can choose for individual hardware modules, like differend RAM’s/SSD’s/CPU Types.

Never had to downclock anything for stable operation.
(Though did have to disable certain cstates with the infamous Bay Trail processors)
Speculation is just that until we have some info.

I tried to downgrade from kernel 655 to 510 and the action failed. Annex the process in the kconsole.

   ~  uname                                                                                   ✔ 
Linux
    ~  uname -a                                                                                ✔ 
Linux viktor-satellitea305 6.5.5-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Sep 23 12:48:15 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    ~  sudo pacman -S linux510                                                                 ✔ 
[sudo] contraseña para viktor: 
advertencia: linux510-5.10.197-1 está actualizado -- reinstalándolo
resolviendo dependencias...
buscando conflictos entre paquetes...

Paquetes (1) linux510-5.10.197-1

Tamaño total de la instalación:  80.04 MiB
Tamaño neto tras actualizar:      0.00 MiB

:: ¿Continuar con la instalación? [S/n] S
(1/1) comprobando las claves del depósito                     [##################################] 100%
(1/1) verificando la integridad de los paquetes               [##################################] 100%
(1/1) cargando los archivos de los paquetes                   [##################################] 100%
(1/1) comprobando conflictos entre archivos                   [##################################] 100%
(1/1) comprobando el espacio disponible en el disco           [##################################] 100%
:: Ejecutando los «hooks» de preinstalación...
(1/1) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
:: Procesando los cambios de los paquetes...
(1/1) reinstalando linux510                                   [##################################] 100%
:: Ejecutando los «hooks» de posinstalación...
(1/5) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/5) Updating module dependencies...
(3/5) Updating linux initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset: 'default'
==> Using default configuration file: '/etc/mkinitcpio.conf'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 -g /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img --microcode /boot/intel-ucode.img
==> Starting build: '5.10.197-1-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img'
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset: 'fallback'
==> Using default configuration file: '/etc/mkinitcpio.conf'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 -g /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect --microcode /boot/intel-ucode.img
==> Starting build: '5.10.197-1-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'wd719x'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'aic94xx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla2xxx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qed'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla1280'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'bfa'
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img'
==> Image generation successful
(4/5) Refreshing PackageKit...
(5/5) Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Generando un fichero de configuración de grub...
Encontrado tema: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Encontrada imagen de linux: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5-x86_64
Encontrada imagen de memoria inicial: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.5-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.5-x86_64-fallback.img
Encontrada imagen de linux: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Encontrada imagen de memoria inicial: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Encontrada imagen de linux: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64
Encontrada imagen de memoria inicial: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img
Aviso: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Encontrado Windows 10 en /dev/sda2
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Root filesystem isn't btrfs
If you think an error has occurred, please file a bug report at "https://github.com/Antynea/grub-btrfs"
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
Found memtest86+ EFI image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.efi
hecho
    ~                                                                               ✔  1m 20s 

12:15:58 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:15:55 systemd: Started Hostname Service.
12:15:55 dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
12:15:55 systemd: Starting Hostname Service...
12:15:55 dbus-daemon: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service' requested by ':1.103' (uid=1000 pid=2879 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-logs --gapplication-service")
12:15:55 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:13:03 gnome-logs: Error retrieving the sender timestamps: No se puede asignar la dirección solicitada
12:12:36 systemd: systemd-hostnamed.service: Deactivated successfully.
12:12:13 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:12:06 systemd: Started Hostname Service.
12:12:06 dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
12:12:06 systemd: Starting Hostname Service...
12:12:06 dbus-daemon: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service' requested by ':1.101' (uid=1000 pid=2879 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-logs --gapplication-service")
12:11:28 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:09:43 systemd: packagekit.service: Deactivated successfully.
12:09:43 packagekitd: daemon quit
12:09:37 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:08:40 xdg-desktop-por: xdp-kde-settings: Namespace  "org.gnome.desktop.a11y.interface"  is not supported
12:08:40 dbus-daemon: [session uid=1000 pid=480] Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.Logs'
12:08:31 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:07:39 pamac-manager: gdk_window_set_cursor: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
12:07:39 systemd: Started Pamac Daemon.
12:07:39 dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.manjaro.pamac.daemon'
12:07:39 systemd: Starting Pamac Daemon...
12:07:39 dbus-daemon: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.manjaro.pamac.daemon' unit='pamac-daemon.service' requested by ':1.99' (uid=1000 pid=2827 comm="/usr/bin/pamac-manager --gapplication-service")
12:07:36 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:07:34 plasmashell: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.taskmanager/contents/ui/Task.qml:286: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString
12:07:34 dbus-daemon: [session uid=1000 pid=480] Activating service name='org.manjaro.pamac.manager' requested by ':1.17' (uid=1000 pid=605 comm="/usr/bin/plasmashell --no-respawn")
12:06:02 plasmashell: file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
12:05:52 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:05:28 plasmashell: file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
12:05:20 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:05:19 systemd: Started KRunner provider for baloo file indexer.
12:05:19 dbus-daemon: [session uid=1000 pid=480] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.runners.baloo'
12:05:18 systemd: Starting KRunner provider for baloo file indexer...
12:05:18 dbus-daemon: [session uid=1000 pid=480] Activating via systemd: service name='org.kde.runners.baloo' unit='plasma-baloorunner.service' requested by ':1.17' (uid=1000 pid=605 comm="/usr/bin/plasmashell --no-respawn")
12:05:18 plasmashell: Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
12:04:52 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:04:43 pamac-tray-plas: updates_checker.vala:101: 0 updates found
12:04:40 kded5: QDBusAbstractAdaptor: Cannot relay signal KDEDModule::moduleDeleted(KDEDModule*): Pointers are not supported: KDEDModule*
12:04:38 sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
12:04:38 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)
12:04:38 systemd: Started PackageKit Daemon.
12:04:38 dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit'
12:04:38 systemd: Reached target Network is Online.
12:04:38 packagekitd: daemon start
12:04:38 systemd: Starting PackageKit Daemon...
12:04:38 dbus-daemon: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' unit='packagekit.service' requested by ':1.96' (uid=0 pid=2770 comm="gdbus call --system --timeout 30 --dest org.freede")
12:04:14 sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by viktor(uid=1000)
12:04:09 dbus-daemon: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found.
12:04:03 kernel: ACPI Warning: Time parameter 255 us > 100 us violating ACPI spec, please fix the firmware. (20230331/exsystem-141)

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

Thank you for your comments. I will try your suggestions. Greetings

This is not a downgrade of a package … this is simply installing another kernel.
It also … was reinstalling as you already have it installed.
It also didnt fail.

Thats also not how we generally handle kernels.
Manjaro Settings Manager (GUI) or mhwd-kernel (terminal).

In whatever case … you already have 5.10 installed … you just need to select it from Grub during boot.

I suppose this is a log.

From what?

Also … please format your code/output.

PS.
You still have not provided an inxi -Fazy … this will give us basic system information.
Maybe you dont have any SWAP along with low RAM …

Or this for example … could be compared to your BIOS … you might have an update.

This points to hardware issues, examples include but not limited to

• disk is showing signs of age
  • CPU socket connection
  • RAM socket connection
  • dust has accumulated inside and needs a cleaning?
  • overheating due to lack of cooling
  • lack of swap

It could be really anything - and I am not convinced it is software related.

I know this is not what you want to hear … sorry :man_shrugging:

I can accept that.

As you have completely neglected comment #2’s request to provide extended system information I issued a search for the system in question.

According to a cnet review - it was born with Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit and 3GB RAM and the - now legacy - Intel Core T5800.

The fact that it only has 3GB RAM - the infamaous RAM barrier - indicates it was build for 32-bit OS.

This makes me suggest you try mx linux - yes I read you have tried the whole Ubuntu-demian (is that really a thing?) family - but mx linux provides a 32-bit version - which I personally think will work better with the legacy CPU than Manjaro with and latest and greatest kernel.

Another option is the Archlinux 32 project.

Memory
3072MB (max capacity 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 in 2 slots)
Graphics
Mobile Intel® Graphics Media 4500MHD with 128MB-
1294MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Why does Manjaro freeze and Windows doesn’t?

Because running 2023’s 64-bit Manjaro with graphically/ram demanding plasma cannot possibly run as well on those specs as 32-bit Win10 SP1.

However, not all’s bad, these devices do have advantages, especially brilliant documentation and great accessibility for hardware upgrades Toshiba A300-ST4505 A305-S6833 A305-S6872 User Manual . Since you know that it runs well on Win there is little to worry about hardware functionality.

If you want to run 64-bit Manjaro, and it definitely can, there are some changes that will make this a usable machine:

• check in your bios if there’s a way to limit the ram for the graphics to max 256-512MB
  • open the back (see manual) and clean the machine
  • if yours has 3GB ram get a used 2GB PC6400 DDR2 ram stick and swap it for the 1GB one (5$ used, 5min, see manual)
  • swap the (dangerously) old spinner drive for a ssd (15-20$, 10min, see manual)
  • install Manjaro minimal Xfce or mate edition with min 8GB swap partition
  • use the default theme and limit any desktop effects to the absolute minimum
  • keep installed software and panel items to a minimum, use only one major app at the time, don’t open more than 5 browser tabs