Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

I guess so, but for now we’ll settle for beer…

4 Likes

Seeing as I don’t drink and don’t like Apple, this is more than acceptable.

Hello! New user to linux and Manjaro but learning quick. Cyber Security and Computer Forensics Major

3 Likes

Hello. I am about one year in to Linux. Just started using Manjaro and I really like it. Nice to meet everyone and I hope to participate soon.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have been using Linux for several years. For work I am using CentOS and FreeBSD and home as primary OS I was using Mint.

I have been using Manjaro (GNOME) as my primary operating system (@home) for the last few months and I am loving it.

It is fascinating how this OS is fast, stable and “light” on the disk :slight_smile:

It was a challenge for me to change from bash to zsh, but after a few weeks everything was ok. :heart_eyes:

I hope that the number of native applications will increase soon and we will not have to use AUR.

BR,
Martin

5 Likes

The AUR is still 100 times better than snaps, flatpacks and all that other ■■■■ erm… all those other inferior technologies

:wink:

2 Likes

Hi folk,

I’m a ‘hardcore’ windows user, for 15 years I always take a look at old and new Linux distros and I saw the progress. Since 2017ish I used Linux more frequently, but I finally want to switch to Linux as my main OS. Because I like Arch and I’m not pro enough to maintain it, I use Manjaro :wink: and I love it.

Because of proprietary software, like Photoshop, Inventor, Games, etc., I won’t probably never be able to switch completely to Linux, except good open-source software alternatives comes out. If not, my hope is that enough companies or people will switch to Linux, so that big software companies like Adobe, Autodesk or Ubisoft will add Linux support to there products.

4 Likes

Surely to an extent… But as regular users, most of us would need an abundance of regular apps!.. Snap is crap as you very well stated; DEB and RPM are “outdated” as one can understand… But Flatpack actually works quite well for the purpose and it is quickly improving month after month… Problem? Canonical insists it’s better to have their own e-pollution crap than to pay a little IBM’s “tithe” for Flatpack to be integrated the way they want it for their business…

Linux on desktops runs on some 2% of the machines… It will to be difficult to have more grade A apps running on it if we don’t have a way for developers to cover all those machines at once!.. Google inclusion of Flatpack on the Chromebooks is sort of helping a bit. We now have Zoom, Skype and others as a Flatpack package… But some of us need far more!.. If Canonical has abandoned that crappy thing that is Snap, I’d bet we would enjoy far more grade A packages on Linux in a very short time frame. From Google Chrome to MS Edge to even games… Infinite possibilities!..

Is Flatpack perfect? No! Neither the AUR!.. While I like the way the AUR permits me to handle pretty much everything else I want, I sort of dislike the update time it requires, at least on such a not so new system… To let alone that only Ach and Arch based distro’s can enjoy it… Flatpack should to become a de facto possible compromise for the Linux ecosystem to grow up. Let it to deal with the user land apps one might to need and let the distro’s maintainers to concentrate themselves on the “behind the scene” ways the Linux OS “magically” works to provide us the beauty it already provides, opening it to a bright future!.. Oh, my!.. But for now that is just a dream…

Have a nice day!..

1 Like

Isn’t this just the beauty of linux ? Choice, you can choose any desktop you want and customise it as much as you want heck you don’t even need a desktop. You can use flatpak, snap, app image, aur or official apps. For me there’s no right or wrong you use whatever works best for you.

2 Likes

Windows user.
Tried Ubuntu. Felt slow.
Trying Manjaro KDE Plasma.
There are humps everywhere… still going…

Really surprised by AUR.
Love this community :heart:.

5 Likes

Surely, it is!.. But that isn’t my point. My point is that in this case; user land apps distribution fragmentation is not good… It is a challenge!.. To not say a disadvantage!.. I understand the need for different ways of handling the “behind the scenes” part of the OS. In some ways Linux is and will ever to be so secure than it is because different teams will make it work from different ways… But at the user land app availability we are talking on another subject. No unified way to capture the audience, no packages distributed!.. Companies are not here for charity, they need profitability at very least!.. And a controlled workflow to cope with calls from customers… And to say the least, IMHO, Flatpack while not perfect is becoming the de facto best compromise solution for the user land app distribution. IBM’s financial support for that project is not occasional here…

Have a nice day!..

1 Like

Hi there,

New here. TL;DR: I’ve been using Manjaro for a year now.

Long version now.
I’ve been using Linux for 16 years and exclusively (only at home unfortunately) for 13 years, so I’m no beginner.

I’ve tried a few distros early on (Fedora, Mandriva, Suse, Slitaz, Zen Linux) and even OpenSolaris but quickly settled with Ubuntu and then the years passed and last year I just wanted to broaden my views with Manjaro, but ended up using it on my laptop over Ubuntu almost all the time. I even managed a 4 months uptime once (I’ve had longer uptimes in Ubuntu though).

I have a dual boot Ubuntu/Manjaro on both desktop and laptop and use Gnome as much as Budgie for DE. I’m growing more and more dissatisfied with and disappointed by the Gnome mindset and their total denial of user feedback and options (big downgrade coming from Unity). Which is why I’ve been using the more open and flexible Budgie as much as I can in the last year, although it’s not as mature as Gnome (more recent, smaller team). Eventually I’m hoping to get rid of Gnome and stick to Budgie or even Lomiri (there’s a test version on Manjaro).

I registered here as much to be helped as to help.

Cheers.

3 Likes

That’s the beauty of Linux: actual, real choice.

4 Likes

This is surely impossible - but there are good core apps. AUR is too vast to be managed in the same way… but it’s vastly superior (in most cases) to adding PPA’s and finding out they’re too old and mess up your system.

3 Likes

@Fabby thats right. AUR is better :slight_smile:
Thats why I fall in love in Manjaro :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look into wine

:+1:

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

My real name is not connor, but as it turns out that name is rather unspeakable for people outside of northern europe. So, please call me connor :).

I am new here, but as it turns out, already a “long time user” of Linux (Historical order of private preference, starting ~2005: Debian, Arch, Manjaro, since ~2017 already).
I also layed hand on … some … other distributions besides thatfor one reason or the other over the years but personally really enjoy Manjaro the most for my private usage. The same applies to KDE / Plasma as my Desktop environment.

So as I am a “heavy user”, I think I am due to contribute also. Reaching out always seems a good thing to do :slight_smile: .

Now that I am writing my introducion here, I have one introductory thought I would like to share regarding “OS / Desktopmanager / Tool” Preference. I am really not passionate about why someone is personally prefering X over Y - If you have a preference to get your stuff done, that’s totally fine with me. If you want me to participate in a “x is better than y” discussion, that’s something I would like to discuss on a technical perspective, rather than a personal preference level. Diversity is good, respect also. In my opinion, that’s part of the “Open” in Open source ;).

Coming in here and reading thinks here like “Flatpack is professionally well supportable” are something I do not disagree with, but: Arch and manjaro do provide technical foundations to package management that are simple and elegant, technically speaking. There does not need to be a “business case” in an open source solution, because an open source solution can simply be applied by everyone, free of charge. Normally making money with open source works, when the problem it solves provides a good solution, backed by professionals knowing how that solution can professionally be used and supported.

So, for my private purposes the way arch package management handles rolling updates is quite robust. Looking at solutions like flatpack and snap - I think there is no need using that in Manjaro in the first place… If it’s not packaged already, usually there is a well maintained AUR package build set available instead that can quickly be built on my machine - which is no drawback IMO.
Also pamac is a really nice tool for managing both software sources, and, if you prefer that, also snap and flatpack “userland” packages in addition.
That’s why I’m here, using Manjaro :sunglasses:

So I hope I am not walzing in too heavy here, also I hope to be able to contribute anything meaningful.

6 Likes

Hi all.

Currently running Manjaro since a couple of days and liking it so far. I’ve been a big Arch user before, who wants a bit more stability now. My primary OS history so far:

• pre 1998: Microsoft stuff
  • 1998-2000: Slackware
  • 2000-2004 or so: Debian testing/unstable (also tried out a lot of other stuff, including Crux)
  • 2004-2010: Arch (also tried out Ubuntu during this time. By this time, Arch became my favorite Linux distro to use)
  • 2010-2016: Windows (this was mostly due to business and gaming reasons. Thankfully it’s not necessary anymore)
  • 2016-2021: Arch
  • 2021+: Manjaro

I’m still extremely new to Manjaro as I just started out with the rc1 of 21.0. However it already seems that it fulfills the promise of an even more pleasant and more stable (but not outdated) Arch. Which is great. I also like Manjaro’s XFCE desktop configuration. I’ve used LXDE in the past (and some random window managers and panels before that), now with Manjaro I settled with the XFCE variant and it’s a nice, lightweight desktop that offers everything I need in a nice package.

5 Likes

Hi all,
Been a Linux user since about 2001 (blimey 20 years, where does time go!!) mainly on Ubuntu but before that Fedora and Suse, with some Solaris thrown in.
Been using Manjaro since February and really like it. Next decision for me is to put it on my main machine, as I’ve never really used a rollling release in anger.
Great support from people, so thank you very much for that. Onwards and upwards :slight_smile:
Regards
K

5 Likes

Hi MLF members, i’m a new linux user. I’ve choose Manjaro because i use a raspberry pi. I don’t regret my choice, i really enjoy the arch linux community. Documentations are easy to find, well explained and there is this forum where i find good answers and kind peoples .
So here i’ m, by the way sorry for my bad english i’m french (sorry for that too lol).
Regards

7 Likes