Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Hello guys,
I’ve been using Linux as my main OS for work for as long as I can remember. Dual Boot Windows mostly for gaming and Mac OS for iOS development (early in the days though, nowadays with react native & expo I develop iOS apps mostly on Linux).
I tried many distros, but I was always coming back to Ubuntu, as it was simple and everything would work out of the box.
However, after being an Ubuntu user for some years now, I got tired of being stuck with old packages, old kernels, old versions and always having to update my OS to newer versions to get the good stuff. (which would most of the time result in a total wipe and reinstall of the newest version … because, have you ever tried the automatic Ubuntu system upgrade? :confused:)
So now with 2020 coming to an end, I started looking around for a new distro, and Manjaro with it’s rolling release caught my attention. I used Arch Linux a few years ago for a few days until I messed up with some updates and got a kernel panic :sweat_smile:.
But this time I switched with the intention to not switch again for some time, hopefully.
So here I am, everything is setup, everything is working as expected, my work env is setup and I am ready for action. :sunglasses:
This forum is really cool by the way. I hope I can be of some help and that I won’t ask the same questions for the 1000th time :stuck_out_tongue:
:v:

33 Likes

Hello everyone, long time Ubuntu user (almost 15 years!) and part-time Pardus user here (was sad when it was discontinued!). I made the jump to Manjaro in 2020 as I needed the latest kernel for my new laptop and there were some months before it was available in Ubuntu. I don’t regret the jump, I’m really impressed with the rolling release model that Manjaro has. I regret not jumping across the fence sooner :slight_smile:

Grüße aus Deutschland!

21 Likes

Hi,

I use Manjaro as my first Linux on a regular basis and I am slowly beginning to like the terminal after every black screen I encounter. :wink: Heck I even learned how to chroot! :smiley: THIS IS CHROOT!

I am from Austria by the way and I am happy to be around here.

Ratatosk is the name of the squirrel, which lives in the worldtree yggdrassil from the germanic mythology.

So then Ratatösk.

20 Likes

Hey guys,
I’m originally from sunny Colombia, currently living in the Great white snow-covered North (Hint: I don’t mean Russia). :slight_smile:

I’m a long time Windows user (back in the day, Windows 3.1 was out there) and an average Linux user (mostly on RH-based distros).

I wound up giving a shot to Manjaro/Arch after getting fed up with MS and CentOS last year (for several personal reasons) and driven by Manjaro’s positive reviews on Distrowatch. I’m using Manjaro on my personal laptop and Arch as a QEMU/KVM guest. So far, I’m loving both of them!

I’m looking forward to participating in the forums when I get a chance going forward :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’m new too only 1 month

4 Likes

1 month new and you can already use a computer?! Duuude! That’s awesome!

7 Likes

Hello Everyone!

I am a new Linux user. I have been using Mac OS for as long as i can remember but after my macbook failed a month ago, I decided to make the switch to windows with an interest in dual booting with Linux. 36+ youtube videos later and I am now here making this post haha. Looking forward to using Manjaro for a long time and learning more about Linux and its amazing community! I hope everyone has had a good start to their year.

greetings from USA!

18 Likes

Hello everyone! This is Firestar from Guangzhou, China!(Am I the first Chinese in this page and the 2020 Introduce yourself page?) I started using Manjaro last summer, and I have written my own installing tips.

The name Firestar comes from Erin Hunter’s Warriors. I use the same name in the old forum. I am not an native-English speaker, in fact I speak mainly Mandarin and a bit Cantonese (which is even worse than English lol).

I am a student studying astronomy (in Peking University) which relies deeply on *nix systems and as I do not want to buy an expensive MacBook, I choose Manjaro Linux. Another reason is that Manjaro provide better security, privacy and more choice.

Although open source custom and *nix systems (as daily-used OS instead of Windows) is not very popular in China for some historical reasons, I appreciate your contributions to Manjaro. Thanks to the Manjaro team and Community!

22 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have been a Linux user for approximately 10 years now and have mainly switched between Ubuntu and Fedora. I decided to try Manjaro after hearing good things about it and Arch from several places and so far (couple of months) I am really impressed.

See you out there!
//Knalmas

12 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’ve been a computer guy my entire adult life and have only played around with Linux here and there. I flip flop between Windows and MacOS for work/play but have recently decided for work that I want to switch to Linux, and Manjaro seems like a solid distro for me. After reading a bunch about Arch, the concepts behind the OS seem cool, but I like that a significant amount of the config is done prior with Manjaro.

I’m currently testing things out in Virtual Box on Windows 10 while waiting for new parts. Once those come in, the plan is to rebuild and dual boot Manjaro and Windows. I know I have a lot to learn but I am eager and ready to put in the time.

I look forward to becoming an active community member!

11 Likes

Well… not much new to say about myself that others haven’t said above. I’m migrating from Ubuntu, which has served me well after leaving Windows some years ago. I feel like I’m just now starting to get serious about linux after being thrust into some sysadmin-like roles, and I have a lot of catching-up to do.

I am looking forward to hanging around not only the Manjaro forums here but in some linux forums in general, so if anyone out there would like to make a recommendation for some good ones I’m all ears.

Thanks, hi and look forward to engaging after years of lurking and Googling :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:
Dual-booting will work fine. I recently made a dual-boot machine Windows 10 / Manjaro awesome Edition with two seperate HDDs (or SSDs for that matter :D)
Works like a charm. But beware that you use easybcd on Windows 10, so Windows is the priority/primary OS and you use Windows to choose between Windows and Linux. I tried the other way round before that wasn’t a really good idea.

3 Likes

Long time linux user here, I’ve been around linux since Mandrake Linux forked from Redhat. I’ve been using Kubuntu until last week. Manjaro has become my go-to distro since i installed it. It is by far the easiest distro to get all the programs i use installed on, and with their broken ppa system almost impossible to set up a rolling distro on. Kubuntu is getting harder to keep things configured. My graphics card and printer worked out of the box and if something isn’t available on the repos, Aur repos certainly has them. Thanks guys for a wonderful linux experience. I have been promoting on the linux user group on Gab.

8 Likes

Yup, I was loving Mint - but the ppa’s drive you nuts, then you come to Manjaro and all is wonderful.

2 Likes

Love mint myself and recommend it to any windows user coming over. But agree 100% manjaro/arch package management and the aur is much much better

5 Likes

Hello all!

I’m a System Engineer living in South Wales, UK. I’ve been a Mac user for around 20 years, was a certified Solaris administrator once upon a time, and have been using FreeBSD extensively for the last six years.

While much of my work life has centred around RHEL/CentOS, I’ve never really had much Linux at home.
When my 2011 iMac was not keeping up with my audio editing requirements I decided it was time for an upgrade, and my wallet couldn’t quite stomach another Mac just yet. So in 2020 I built a new computer and installed Ubuntu! And while things were “OK”, it felt clunky - some snap applications seemed to work for a bit then need reinstalling, the ZFS auto-snapshot feature did my head in, and the system just looked very busy even when I wasn’t - a stark contrast to my macOS and FreeBSD machines.

Within a couple of weeks I’d wiped Ubuntu away and installed Manjaro! And aside from a couple of times the kernel upgraded and graphics drivers broke I’ve been really happy - I’ve been particularly amazed my ZFS on root setup hasn’t broken!

I’ve found packages on Manjaro to be both plentiful and fresh. Something lots of other distributions seem to struggle with. There are some gaps, but I’m hoping my experience as a FreeBSD Ports maintainer might come in handy to contribute to the AUR and plug some of the gaps!

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

12 Likes

I didn’t know how much I disliked the PPAs 'till I disn’t have to deal with 'em anymore.

5 Likes

Hello Everyone!

I’m currently a student learning how to use linux after my windows decided to suddenly vanish into thin air one morning. I’ve been using PopOS before, and after my hard drive broke, decided to take the chance to try Manjaro.
Any recommendations for where, how, or why to learn more about using Manjaro(or linux) i’ll gladly accept!

3 Likes

My recommendation: experience! There’s no teacher like it!

5 Likes

I guess i’ll be using Manjaro for a while then ~