Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Hello,

I haven’t actually installed Manjaro yet, I plan to this weekend, but wanted to do my due diligence before taking the plunge. I’m actually only in my second week of Linux use after making decision to leave Apple Ecosystem after 16 years of devotion and investment. What pushed me were the events following the actions of “Big Tech” after January the 6th. My enthusiasm toward Apple had been waning since Tim Cook took the helm but I wanted to take my time on deciding on a new direction. I apologize if my positions bother others but I promise not to make them an issue. Long story short I left Microsoft/Windows behind in 2004 and will NEVER go back, to use Apple. The “Walled garden” didn’t bother me too much early on but has become IMHO tyrannical and so I found Linux. At present I’m running Fedora 33/KDE and love it, I intended from the start to learn in Fedora and then Migrate into the Arch world over time. Unfortunately I found out that Microsoft is a partner to RedHat and so I’m pushing up my timeline and going ahead with a move to Manjaro/KDE. I built a whole new machine a month ago just for my move to Linux as my Mac Mini was getting long in the tooth and it is awesome. Sorry I rambled, but I look forward to joining the community and learning/contributing as much as I can.

Chip

8 Likes

You definitely need to read this to get your :joy: back:

Title says Windows but change “Windows” to a fruity company whenever you read the word for the world you left behind 16 years ago…

:wink: :green_apple:

4 Likes

HELLO

I started my computer experience as a kid with the D -os. After that (I think in '95), the W -os, many different versions, I :heart:ed them. Then I started using Linux on a netbook. I used the Z -os, the L -os, the M -os (not this one). Later I had to switch os on my main pc and had to say goodby to the trusted W -os (7), because the next version was not to my liking (I use it at work :weary:). I heard great things about the A -os and the :running_man:-os type in general. After some reading I decided to stick with this M -os (in 2019) and am a happy user since.

EDIT: M -os is not the one from that fruit that comes from a certain tree, but if you are a believer, you could think so, I don’t mind. Also, I said os where distro would possibly be a better naming (is W -os an os or distro :face_with_monocle: ?).

4 Likes

Hey guys, I’ve been using Ubuntu and it’s variants for a while. Decided to make the switch and love it so far even though it feels like I have no idea what I’m doing. You’ll probably see me around here pretty often because of that :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it very much. I think it may be a bit easier for me going forward as I’ve been a computer outlaw from the get. My first computer(age 12) in 1982 was a Texas Instruments Ti 99/4a and I got it just as they were discontinuing production, so my world was already shrinking from the start. Taught myself to program in Basic and Extended Basic, but grew bored being what seemed to be, the last man on the island.

In High school I switched to Commodore 64, never learned any programing on it, but hacked several games to trade with friends. Loved “Raid over Bungling Bay” & “Raid over Moscow”.

After High school I bought a PC with Windows 3 and immdeiately ditched Windows and learned to manuever in DOS, which I loved. Since then I never liked Windows but just tolerated it until Millenium(Sucked loud). I struggled on till 2004 where I switched to Mac/Apple because they just work and that was enough for me.

I day trade now and so reliability is a must, but I won’t tolerate enfringing on my free speech, so Tim Cook sealed the deal for my Apple final goodbye. I now have a new machine that I built from scratch, Fractal Node 304, MSI Mini-ITX w/WiFi and Bluetooth, Intel i5, 32 RAM, dual 2 TB HDD. Ran perfect from first power up.

3 Likes

Imagine me switching from windows doing stupid things :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hello, recent Manjaro user here from last year. I’ve been using second-hand low-ends for the past two decades jumping on different distros from Ubuntu, Linux Mint and now, Manjaro.

I’m currently using an ASUS FX505DT-HN657T which almost works flawlessly.

5 Likes

Hi. I’ve been using Ubuntu for the last few years and decided to try something different. I’ve learned a ton in just the last week installing things I need. I’ve compiled things from git, and learned a bunch of new commands.

I’ve always had kernel issues relating to the i915 driver, and installing a new OS has reminded me of that, so I think it’s time for me to learn to do proper kernel bug reports to help the community (and myself).

Excited to be here!

5 Likes

Hi :wave: i am a student of software… from egypt i use manjaro from 1 year

4 Likes

hi all
just starting out ( again ) with Linux , Ubuntu mate 18.04 . had 16.04 a few years back but never played with it did have manjaro installed on a lenovo LP but HD crashed so UM 18.04 went on new one . looking to install manjaro on another computer when it’s running but for now i have KDE on pine phone . i will be asking a lot of questions on this distro and others (as i play around ) .I’m a novice when it comes to anything computer wise so please go easy on me if i ask 2 or 3 time about the same thing. thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hi all

I’ve used Ubuntu & Mint in the past due to disliking MS & Apple out of principle.

I installed Manjaro on my Lenovo Yoga laptop and have found it vastly superior to the aforementioned distros. Things work better. It’s cleaner. I love it.

7 Likes

My name is DOsbon

I spot a spelling mistake either in your chosen name or your post.

2 Likes

Hello.
New manjaro user. I’ve used linux mint for about a year, and wanted to try something different. I just added manjaro, to my system alongside linux mint, and windows 10. But hope to replace it all with arch once I become familiar with manjaro.

4 Likes

Hello I am a Brazilian user who has been using manjaro since 2012, my name is Paulo Corrêa and I have a very bad English

Creto in the area

2 Likes

Hi people!

I’ve been using linux as my main driver for 10 years. It all started with me getting fed up by Microsoft and how they do things. I started looking elsewhere after finding my laptops getting slower sooner than i wished for and found a new and much longer life with Linux Mint. I had no interest in technology at the time and I found windows to be too “hard”. It complained all the time and kept nagging at me. I just needed windows to shut up and stop complaining and Im so happy I found peace with Linux. Its funny how Linux can be so complex and demanding and yet so easy and forgiving. It’s all up to you… Well most of the time at least.

I started getting some interest in technology after buying the Nintendo Switch in 2017 at launch. Since then I have opened the command line a couple of times wanting to learn but never found the mental peace to actually sit down and just play around with it.

And finally about a month ago something happened within me and I decided to actually learn. I sat down, switched from Linux Mint Mate to Manjaro KDE and looked up ryantutorials and the Linux command line, the book by William Shotts. Since then I have been playing around a bit, learning the basics.

Besides of hating on windows, why do I use Linux?

• freedom of choice
  • Open source
  • community
  • security and privacy
6 Likes

Hi, i have been roaming around in this forum, registered, but never actually used this forum much,
Now that i switched some of my systems from arch to manjaro, im going to be around more.

3 Likes

You should change your avatar to something more visually pleasing then!

:grin: :wink:

P.S. I would post the Feyenoord kid too, but most people wouldn’t find it as hilarious as you and me and they would probably take offence.

1 Like

Hello all! I have been using Linux for 20 years: Mandrake → Mandriva → Mageia. But in December 2020 I decided to leave ship, be a traitor and try out Manjaro, and it has been a pleasant experience! The newest Krita, Blender, and Inkscape in the official archive, and rare things like Natron and gcs (GURPS character sheets) in AUG.

I have had black screen, Nvidia flu etc. but have come through thanks to this forum. So me and my family are going to stay in the Manjaro village.

I am a Free Culture artist and creates all my works on open source software.

8 Likes

Hello and welcome!

I’m aiming to do the same as far as creating in strictly open source… what sort of artist are you?

2 Likes