Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Je pense que ton collègue appréciera que tout fonctionne dès l’install, d’avoir les programmes bien à jour, le petit bouton “Installer des logiciels” bien visible sur la barre et aussi l’esthétique de KDE. Il faut malheureusement un côté “séduction” et confort pour que les gens accrochent et c’est compréhensible. Si on leur parle lignes de commande et config manuelle dès le départ, ça les braque…

Merci à toi aussi :upside_down_face:

Hello,

My name is Kristiyan, i recently installed Manjaro Linux as my main OS. Go easy on me, i just ditched Windows, and i am learning Linux, step by step. I distrohopped few times, with Distros in following order, exact order: Ubuntu → POP! OS → Linux Mint → Manjaro.
I use Manjaro Linux on following hardware and i still have difficulties to find my bearings, and figure out things with Manjaro, but i believe it will not be for long.

My hardware is:

Lenovo ThinkStation D20 Productiom workstation

Chipset:
Intel X58, based on IOH 5520 and ICH 10

CPU:
Dual Intel Xeon X5690

RAM:
96 gb DDR3 1333, Registered ECC Multibit error correcting ram, 48 gb per CPU

GPU:
Nvidia Quadro P2200,

Sound:
EVGA NU Audio Pro

Monitor:
Dual monitors Dell Ultra Sharp 2410 D, connected Via display ports to the Quadro P2200.

2 Likes

Hello all.

I’m new here. I’ve used Ubuntu flavors in the past but gave up on Linux some years ago (mainly due to GPU issues) and trying to jump back after 12+ years.

Just got Manjaro (Gnome) installed.

What I liked so far…

• Booting experience. No flickering, just seamless.
  • Best out-of-the-box GPU setup. I even have hybrid mode (Intel + Nvidia) working without having to tinker anything.
  • Fast, fluid and responsive.
  • Pamac + AUR
  • Wiki

What needed some tinkering…

• Playback of YouTube HD files wasn’t smooth in Firefox and Chromium. Fixed it with h264ify add-on - enables hardware acceleration.
  • Choppy playback in Totem and sometimes led to black-screen. Replaced it with VLC.
  • No sound out-of-the-box. Patched kernel-line in Grub with “snd_intel_dspcfg.dsp_driver=1”

What I miss…

• Fractional display scaling. 175% would be the right for my display. But for now setting it at 200% and a font scaling of 0.9 in Gnome-Tweaks makes everything looks nice and proportionate.
    So far got everything working. Thanks for a wonderful distribution.
1 Like

Hello everybody,
I’m happy to join this community. Hoping that manjaro becomes always better!

1 Like

Greetings all! I am fairly “new” to Linux, but I count some years now and I never looked back moved onto to take interrrest in Arch Linux hereunder Manjaro and then Garuda.
Perhaps a littlw crush on KDE Plasma versions. I help people on a regular basic with their “Broken” computers and allways spread the word and share and the love - LINUX 4 LIFE <3

I’ll try an check in here and read when I need a good read or a tip.

Feel free to say hi.

Troy

1 Like

considering that Manjaro is fully customizable distro, based of Linux Arch, which is also fully customizable, i am sure that the the Open source society puts a lot of effort to improve Arch, and Arch derivatives like Manjaro or Arco.

Greetings - and THANK YOU for being here.

Sounds like my $PATH to Manjaro is similar to many others…

Now a geezer, I’ve been delving into computers since the first IBM-PC (128k single floppy), but it was punch cards and analog computers before that (1970s).

Dipped into Ubuntu a few years ago on a sluggish netbook, got discouraged. Tried again more recently with better gear, not bad. But I soon found Ubuntu to be somewhat uninspiring.

Recently I stumbled upon Arch-based Manjaro. For some reason I’m now getting hooked again on making the Linux transition.

Have already resurrected an old Dell tower (original Win10), a MiniMac (circa 2011), and an Acer Netbook (still leaks oil), I’m toying with converting more household gear - or perhaps building a well-stocked platform from scratch.

Bottom line: The more time I spend under the hood with the CLI, the more fun I’m having.

Thanks again to this community for being here … and providing so much help to us noobs. :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Hello guys my name is Gustafari and I am from Brazil.

I really love this operating system and I hope to make a donation soon.

Bye, thank you all.

2 Likes

Hi Y’all,
Thank you for this new experience. I’m a newbie and wanting to learn about OS and Linux. I’ve started with Ubuntu then Mint. I want to explore more about Manjaro. I think it will be good to learn more.
Many thanks in advance for the help. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Kind Regards,
Kh8tz

3 Likes

I dabbled in Suse Linux about 10 years ago and have now decided to go linux again with my new laptop - a slimbook with Manjaro which I’ve had for 2 days. Thanks to the forum I already managed to solve a few issues by using the terminal. So far so good, thanks to all who contribute to the forum! Greetings from southern Portugal

2 Likes

Hello.

I’ve been using Manjaro for a while, maybe around 4 weeks. It’s been alright. I just joined here to ask for help in case I wasn’t able to find any solutions on this forum or on internet.

That’s all. Thank you all.

3 Likes

Hello

i am using windows and linux back and forth since 5 years ago (but mostly using windows because of game and ms office), and i always consider my self as a noob at linux. I decide to change to linux completely due to LTT influence, and i decide using Manjaro because its my last distro i used without any major problem (beside gaming back then) and linus from LTT use it…

I joined the forum because this forum helped me a lot when i having problem, this forum always come first on google and it really did solved my problem… and here i am now…

that all for me, i looking forward for your guidance.
thank you

2 Likes

Hello from Virginia

Used linux back in the Red Hat 5.0/5.1 days in college and then Mandrake for a while. Been away until I needed to refurbish some old laptops so I distro hopped for a while and bought a System 76 laptop, which is nice but Pop OS has been giving me trouble. Installed Arch, by the way ™ and then eventually moved over to Manjaro. Been VERY happy with it and am interested in helping out in the forums so that people can more easily pick it up and have it be their favorite distro too.

6 Likes

Hello. I’m just born here. I’m new to Manjaro. I’m also a beginner of Common Lisp which is the language I’m going to program in. I will use Emacs as my programming environment which I’m also a beginner of.
KDE will be my desktop.

2 Likes

Hi!

Name is Shreyas

Been using Ubuntu for 4 years (got used to sudo apt install)

Just switched to Manjaro for a new experience :smiley:

Greetings from India!!

2 Likes

Hi Folks !

Retired system/network admin here, my experience goes back to the mid-80 really, but it was ~'93 that I started running Internet based services at work. Mostly that was on Sun/Solaris, but subsequently mostly using FreeBSD. I have dabbled a bit with Linux on and off, mostly Slackware. After I left the IT sector around 2010, I’ve mostly just been using Windows desktop systems, with FreeNAS as the server.

However as time went by it became increasingly obvious that Microsoft can longer offer a solid well-supported desktop OS, the world of Windows 10 has become increasingly nightmarish. It was time to get out, and find a more private, secure and stable desktop OS.

TBH, I was never really a fan of Linux for various reasons. However as my time is now more precious than it used to be, I was looking for a fast-track solution to get up and running. A Youtuber well known for his tiling WM ricing scripts (I shall not mention his name here as I’m advised his politics are a bit unpopular), says ‘Use Manjaro !’.

So, I’ve just re-entered the world of GNU/Linux after a very long interval, by installing Manjaro-KDE on a 9-year old Thinkpad.

I have to say I was absolutely blown-away by how quick and smooth the installation was, and the refinement of the UI ! It has exceeded my expectations 200% !

Andy
PS. Apologies for the long post !

8 Likes

Hi there,
Started to use Manjaro on my workstation laptop replacing the old Linux Mint / Windows Dualboot config.
Currently traversing from the life sciences to the computer sciences.

Looking forward talking to you!
cya

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
I am from Italy and I started using Manjaro as my daily driver a couple years ago when I got fed up of windows, it has been fun and I’ve learned a lot thanks to this community

Cya

4 Likes

I potentially have about 120 computers in stock that will run Manjaro in a few days

Is a good news and a good choice !

2 Likes

Greetings! While i have yet to attempt a linux install I have landed here from my choice of manjaro for my introduction. I have no plans on keeping windows for any reason on an HP laptop, and I am looking forward to something new while I wait on my next load. I try to be as self sufficient as possible, but also believe the only foolish question remains unasked. I welcome any advice(and definitions or expansions on acryonyms) offered, and am currently browsing topics in a haphazard manner until I swing home and gather my hardware.

3 Likes