Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Hello everyone! How are you? Hoping you all are having a nice day…

I’ve been using manjaro for like two months and decided to use only it in my PC. I think if I interact here with the community, I’ll learn more and more about Linux world and this distro.

I am a junior Linux Support Analyst at a Cloud Hosting company in Brazil, and Linux have been in all my days since I started working there. Since then, I’ve been trying to find a good distro “out of the box” to use, when I saw Manjaro. Today I’m using KDE as my desktop environment, but I used GNOME too. Kinda like both.

So let’s teach and learn something everyday…

Cheers.

7 Likes

CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-4980HQ (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 2315/800/4000 MHz
Kernel: 5.15.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 7m Mem: 2178.3/15881.6 MiB (13.7%) Storage: 931.84 GiB (2.2% used)
Procs: 288 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.08

I have been using Manjaro for about six months now, I have been bouncing between different Arch based distros and have even tried my hand at Arch for a while. I am currently running Manjaro on my Mid 2015 MacBook Pro in a dual boot configuration. I really am doing this as a test case because I’m sure Apple will EOL my MacBook Pro soon and I will be replacing masOS entirely. I am running on the unstable branch to run more like Arch and to help test the packages. I have been running very well so far.

Thank you Manjaro Developers!!

4 Likes

Just a side note to you - it is generally regarded as a good idea to keep macos on such a device … even if you rarely/never boot it … in this way you ensure the continued ability to recieve things like firmware updates (whether apple provides them or for how long is another case…)

1 Like

I have kept macOS for now and will as long as Apple continues to support my laptop. But when they stop updating with security updates or other critical patches I will not want to expose myself to an unsupported OS. Besides I think Manjaro is a better OS anyway.

Hello David here from Las Vegas, NV – kinda tech savvy and you know right now this is just a hobby for me. I joined the forum because just constructed a PI4B 8gb in DeskPi. Need to know how to mod it all and get it flying right.

4 Likes

Hi!
I used to be a windows user until… yeah you know what happened (windows 11 sucks lmao)
and now i’m a manjaro/arch user.
Currently my MIC STILL ISNT WORKING
AAAAAAAAAAAA
but i think i’ll fix it soon!
(once i do ill finally be a full time linux user)

3 Likes

Howdy everyone!
I’ve been using Manjaro for a few months now and it has been a wonderful experience. I have experience with Debian in the past, this is my first experience with an Arch based distribution. Thanks to the Manjaro team for making a truly polished product.

With Windows 11 around the corner, I’m working very hard to advocate for the Linux community, and do some outreach to our windows friends. Manjaro will probably be my top recommendation, closely followed by Pop OS and Linux Mint.

Again, thanks to all the people who have contributed, your efforts have clearly payed off.

5 Likes

A long time windows user. Decided to try out Linux a few days ago, Manjaro was my first choice. I am enjoying using it very much. I am a csgo player, so it would be great if I manage to run it without any problems hopefully.

4 Likes

With STEAM, it works with Proton, IIRC. I’m not a gamer, though, so I might be wrong.

1 Like

I just checked on my steam account… great news it looks like it runs on Linux with Proton!
csgo

3 Likes

Pretty sure that steam icon is “SteamOS” which equates to “Linux”
Half-life/Counterstrike has always been linux compatible as far as I remember.
Its the ones with just the windoze icon that you need proton for :wink:

2 Likes

Hey Guys. Back from a short trip to Ubuntu. I just missed the snazziness and the polish of Manjaro.

3 Likes

Hi All. I dislike Microsoft because its closed source. I have been using Manjaro on my desktop for about 6 months, prior I used Ubuntu but I feel its too bloated. I really want to give back to the community but right now I am strapped for time. After December my schedule will open up and I hope to help.

4 Likes

It actually didnt launch with proton 6

Hello all!
I have been using Linux for quite a few years but I am not a very technical person. I just simply ‘use’ and ‘experiment’ with Linux distros. I am comfortable enough it with Linux, and my ability to re-install distros, that I have several distros on my desktop.
I am not just using Linux as my only OS, but I also use it as a learning tool to try to keep my mind active during my retirement.
Once I am finished getting all these distros set up and working correctly, I will move on to studying bash as well as a bit of Python.

2 Likes

Hi. I’ve been using Linux for a long time. The last years I use Manjaro and I am very happy with this. Ubuntu is also fine with me, but Manjaro is faster, more up to date, and semi rolling release. In the mean time I also used MacOs a long time and there are enough similarities.
Hope to stay with Manjaro the coming years. I intend to try out Fedora Kiniote for fun, but will stick with Manjaro as our main workstation.
Hope to learn a lot and help out where I can. Oh by the way… I am from the Netherlands with a weak spot for South Africa :grinning:

8 Likes

hello friends, I’ve been using manjaro for about 6-9 months.

2 Likes

Greetings!

Long time linux user (recent years ubuntu, previously fedora and mint, always mostly redhat servers though) as daily driven work machine for development. Also using mac (home studio) and windows (seems I’m all the relatives/friends window support - any one else got this problem? :upside_down_face:). Thought it was time to do some distro hopping to shake things up and decided to go green with Manjaro yesterday! No big issues so far except git cloning with ssh from our bitbucket server but that problem lead me straight to this forum and found an easy fix. Of course I signed up to this forum straight away! :kissing_heart:

Really enjoy my hopping thus far! :heart_eyes: Think I got most of my tools setup for java enterprise/spring backbone development, docker, different java versions for different projects and some other graphic tools and stuff used for creating presentations, documentation, metrics/reports and such. I took less than half a day! Yay! No issues at all with driving multiple monitors on my old hp machine or any other hardware. Nice! Back to work… :computer: :keyboard:

Best regards from Sweden!

7 Likes

Hello Everyone!

I am new to Linux and Manjaro, I am on day one of my Linux journeys. I have used windows desktop environments for about 25 years. My knowledge of windows is very basic to just simple web browsing and light gaming. I recently in the past few months have been getting more into the IT field and learning about Raspberry Pi. I got here to the Linux community from Linus Tech Tips and Level1techs with Wendell. Much of what they talk about is still way over my head. I decided to make the dive into Linux today because windows 11 performance felt like a step backward in terms of usability and the heavy tracking telemetry. My goal is to learn more about Linux and help other people with things I learn since I am not a computer guru and I am a slow learner, and can be helpful to others that may not be as quick of a learner.

4 Likes

Hello from Florida, loving Manjaro!

3 Likes