Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Hi to all!
I’m a linux user since 2004 and I’m an archlinux user since 2015.
I have always used KDE (I do not like GNOME at all sorry).
I’ve just bought a 2 in 1 lenovo miix 720 which I would like to use mostly in tablet mode and I’m wondering if its better to install manjaro instead of archlinux.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I am coming from MacOS (mainly productivity) and Windows (mainly gaming)
And from time to time I take a look into different LinuxDistributions. (First one was Suse 1998 and last one was LinuxMint 2020)
And today I started with Manjaro KDE Plasma and what should I say? Its absolutley mindblowing!
I hope I can “merged” both machines/ “workflows” into this incredible OS.

Glad to be here!

Greetz from a sailing city, Germany :blush:

6 Likes

Hello Everyone.

I’m a Linux beginner but have been trying different distros over the years, Manjaro Gnome is the first i really love and use it as my main OS. It’s fast, stable and nice looking. I still need Windows for Audio Production. Hopefully this will change some day.

4 Likes

Hi 2 all,

I am an old guy who decided to say Goodbie to Windows OS’s.
Manjaro Cinnamon works fine, I am glad to be member of this community.
Best wishes 2 all!

8 Likes

Hi guys,

I am a long time user of kubuntu and pop distros, but I have fallen in love with manjaro and would like to make it my main distro. Currently I have little knowledge about this distribution and arch-based distributions in general.

Any help and information in future troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Casual user of Linux since around 2006 or so, with the earlier versions of Fedora Core. Usually shuttled between it and Ubuntu, on and off. Found Linux in general, fascinating, but never really got the hang of having it as a daily driver. Primarily a Windows user, support PC/Mac professionally (don’t care for MacOS).

Found Manjaro because I wanted something Arch or Arch-like, that brings me closer to the system than Ubuntu. Also have a Raspberry Pi I’m casually tinkering with for other smaller projects. So far I’m really enjoying it, in that it’s quite usable out of the box but I can add extensibility with Flatpaks and the AUR system. I’ve also been spending a lot more time (in a good way) in terminal than I ever have. Really need to get my scripting skills up.

Happy to find a distro that rekindled some curiosity in computing and tinkering, professionally and as a hobby. Using it as a daily driver at work, since immersion and “living” it is the best way to learn.

6 Likes

Greetings from Australia. Have used Linux on and off for years but not recently. Saw a few vids on KDE Plasma and thought I’d see what it’s all about. Never run an Arch based distro before, found Manjaro and gave it a go, impressed so far!

6 Likes

Hello All!

I’ve been using linux for some periods over the past couple of years alongside windows, but have been using Manjaro KDE for the past couple of months and it’s been a great experience. I’ve grown to love the Arch-based side of things compared to what I was used to in ubuntu based distros (xubuntu & kubuntu).

I hope I can continue using Manjaro for a long while.

5 Likes

Hey there, Using Manjaro since last 11 months and I think this is the best user/dev-friendly linux for me so far.

Thank you

3 Likes

Hi guys. I’ve been on and off Manjaro for years. I’m more of a Debian guy, but lately, I’ve been wanting more. (rolling release) I’ve been on Linux ever since Win 8 Demo came out. I hated it to death. And viruses… I have lately been on ArcoLinux, BUT I’ve ran into some bad problems that even the creator couldn’t fix. Feel at home here…

3 Likes

Hey guys, I’m here from Windows all my computer life, nearing the end of week one. I’m predominantly a gamer on my home computer and it’s the steam deck coverage that for me interested in Linux. So far, I’ve enjoyed getting everything set up - I loved how easy the AUR made installing corectrl and am in awe of the developer of that software tool.

2 Likes

Long time user of Windows and Linux. Initially I tried a few Linux distros and then settled with Linux Mint LMDE edition. Used it for years until this year when I got a new custom built computer and LMDE wouldn’t install.

So, I researched and researched for a simple and easy to use system that comes “complete” like LMDE. I found this and I am very happy to have found Manjaro. I also have Parted Magic as an emergency backup and rescue distro.

Thank you to the Manjaro team for an amazing distro. I’ve only used it for a few months, and I’m liking it even better than LMDE.

The only thing I was concerned about was whether there would be install packages for Manjaro as (I think) most applications build packages for Debian at a minimum.

But, so far, everything has worked out. There are a few tools that are only available on Windows and so it doesn’t even matter what Linux distro I’m using. But, that’s something I’ll probably always have to accept. Anyways, I have another 2 computers with Windows 10 if I really need it.

2 Likes

Hi I’m David and have been a Ubuntu and Linux Mint user for 5 years. I recently bought a new HP laptop and LM would not install so I am trying Manjaro. It installed and so far seems OK. My main issue is that the screen title bar is black??? so I can’t read it. Also, there is no Help app and hence I am here. Hope to sort out teething problems soon.

3 Likes

Hi friends.
I have been using linux as my main operating system for far too long. I have used Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu, and finally Archlinux. I really like Manjaro for its lightness, simplicity and visual beauty. Today I use Archlinux on my desktop pc and Openbox as a window manager, and Manjaro on my laptop.
Whenever someone asks me for advice on how to get started in Linux, I always recommend Manjaro.
By the way, I really miss the Openbox Manjaro version.

Greetings from Seville (Spain).

6 Likes

greetings from the other side.

i got this laptop back in 2019 for university study purposes and since then i’ve been playing with it extensively. i was never satisfied with windows. it makes me feel restricted somehow. at first i was dual-booting different linux OS with windows. but last year i settled with manjaro. Seeing how aesthetic it can be, i decided to remove windows completely from my system that way i can enjoy it more. i’m not an experience user and in my times of need, i have gotten lots of help from this community. so i decided to sign up in the hopes that one day i may gain enough knowledge to be able to help others as well (anyhow i can).

i love manjaro and KDE. i’m still learning tho’.

4 Likes

I have installed manjaro on a SSD, I have Linux Mint 20.2 UMA Cinnamon and Ubuntu Studio on an M2 Drive. Linux Mint is my daily Operating System, but I shoot videos often, be it cooking, BBQ, pets, or thing in the neighborhood that are wrong, like vehicles whose owners think it ok to block a sidewalk, so then I go over to Ubuntu Studio to edit them. Manjaro, I installed, because I had installed it before and I loved its menu used on startup, it is better than the grub

3 Likes

Greetings from yet another noob, new to Linux, and Manjaro, which I found searching for a usable OS for a Rock64 SBC after diving into the world of IoT and playing with Node Red on a Raspberry Pi. I am very impressed with the Manjaro builds as well as the community. Hopefully I may one day have learned enough to contribute.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I am Crissi (She or They, both are fine), very likely autistic (diagnosis pending), bisexual and maybe non-binary (currently finding that out) - to get that out of the way, haha! (but I am comfy being addressed as a women) - uhm 25 yo (build year 96) and a computer science student in Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany :slight_smile:

So I have been indoctrinated by birth to be a Linux fan by my windows-hating father and I have quite some experience - not in every aspect tho, I love to learn more about it!
So I thought I’d sign up in this forum to be more engaged with the Linux-Community.
One day I really want to program (or do other things) for the open source community, but I am kind of overwhelmed by life rn… But one day! One day! Maybe you guys know some low-commitment work that needs to be done in Open-Source?

Anyway, two years ago (roughly) I bought this new Laptop and of course the first thing I did was reinstall Windows (if I have a free key in my BIOS why not use it - just in case I need it one day) and install Linux in Dual boot.

But whats that? Kernel panic everytime I tried to get the INSTALLER to boot! (It’s an HP Envy x360 ng… fyi)

So it turns out they set the “reduced hardware bit” in the acpi tables and that causes a bug in the Linux kernel. It was fixed in the newest Linux-Kernel, so I needed a recent distribution!
Installing Arch-Linux all over the console seemed very daunting so my Ex recommended me to use Manjaro instead. And thats how I came to use it :slight_smile:
I heard some mixed reviews about it - but so far it has served me well and using something Arch-Based is a welcome change to my usual Ubuntu-Installs :slight_smile: (Still using that on my Desktop tho, but I installed pure Arch there too to try it!)

What I really like about my Manjaro is that all the tablet-functions (its a fancy convertible) seem to work fine out of the box. Stuff like the (multi) Touch-Screen, The n-trig pen, ect (Btw I reccomend against buying anything with ntrig, and its still a HP laptop and therefore quite buggy, so I would not buy HP again) the only things that don’t seem to work is the auto-rotation and the deactivation of the keyboard when I flip it over - wrote a script for that, gave it a cute icon and stuffed it into my task bar - so when I want to use it in tablet mode I just click that.

Uhm, maybe a little more about me?

I love Open Source! I am not against using prop. stuff for when I need it, but I just love the philosophy of working together and that I can get very decent (altho sometimes very ancient looking chuckles) programs for free. Programs that don’t spy on me and programs that I can improve if I want to and tinker around with!
I also came to realize that I really like hardware and hardware near stuff like tinkering with efi, soldering, arduino… I still need to catch up on electronics tho. I swear that stuff is black magic.
Also I seem to be a very big noob at networking. I know the basic, but I swear this is black magic too. :wink:

I hope to be able to help people here as well as to improve my knowlege about linux inner workings!

6 Likes

Long time Mac OS user all the way back to system 7 and the 68040 CPU, and love it. To say that I dislike Windows, is an understatement.

I also love Linux. I have been using it for a while. I really love the single board computers. I currently have a Pi 3 as a music server (Arch based) and a Pi4 as desktop running Plasma.

Price

3 Likes

Hello from South Africa. Long time Linux user, I used fedora for long strecthes of time. Been using Manjaro for over a year now. Mostly XFCE and now Gnome for last few months.
I’ve been on the Manjaro forum since the previous forum, but seems I forgot to “introduce” myself on the new forum. Thank you and enjoy.

6 Likes