Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

@Mirdarthos gave you a good dad like advice and it isn’t a bad one but I’ll tell you my experience for you to understand to not think of reading as an obstacle.

Reading stuff:
Whan I was doing my degree in computer science I was just like you. Reading texts was pain for me. I was easily distraced and couldn’t absorb much. When I needed to look something up, boom, let’s see if there is a youtube video. Reading documentation seemed like there is always something missing in the answers I was looking for.

As you’ll progress through your degree you’ll find yourself having to do some reading and write texts by yourself. Often you won’t find the right answer, correct and optimised solutions or no references at all by avoiding documentation. Sometimes you’ll be forced by deadlines or other factors. Everytime you get over it you will build your tolerance and ability to find the information effectively without getting too tired and disctracted.

Luckily for us the computer/geek world isn’t ovewhelmed with vast amount of redundant essays. Don’t get me wrong there are tons of books and resources but it isn’t mandatory to read them compared to other fields. Most people in IT were in positions where you have (and will) found yourself too and will try to give you the answers you need without the sauce as the main meal only as a dessert.

Nowadays I prefer reading stuff myself. It is faster to get the answers and it’s actualy more painful to skip through random videos for lot of them are absolutely irrelevant to the problem. I have or skip the excess blah blah. I don’t have a problem with reading documentation and even enjoy giving the extra time and effort to reading about the background and context of things I look up.

Don’t worry you’ll be good :wink:

Linux skill set:
You could potentionaly keep avoiding linux for the rest of your life and even find and employment. At least where I am from I am getting the impression there are more jobs in the Microsoft ecosystem than in the open-source one. You can get by by learning that only system along with its administration tools and be good. But bear in mind you might strip yourself from good working opportunities.

I’d advise not to do so since the linux world (especialy in networking) offers a better and simpler ways of understanding system administration as a whole. Most things that are currently in the MS systems have been scrapped from linux and placed to Windows in some kind of morbid way.

In linux it’s easier to start with small bits and build up your knowledge while my experience in the MS tech is like “here it is, you can hate it but you gotta use it”.

I am currently working as a .NET developer. The company where I work at everything is Microsoft (desktop and server, MSSQL, MS Office, Exchange, internal certifications and if Bill Gates made his own coffee brand they’d stuff it in the office coffee machine). I use MS tech daily I hate it but there are good things in that ecosystem and at least I am learing stuff from the other side of the barricade.

I got into linux during the university. I viewed it as just something I should touch at least a bit so I wasn’t complete out of place when someone says “linux”. But once I was got hooked up I couldn’t go back. You might end up preferring windows but the time spent in learing linux will definitely be worth your time.

Hope this was any helpful.

3 Likes

Hey Guys, I’m a rather new guy in the world of Linux when it comes to everyday use and I only gave Manjaro a shot today but I got instantly hooked and will explore it further. I do hold only rudimentary skills when it comes to administration and no knowledge of how Kernels and such work but I’m willing and motivated to move into that domain bit by bit :slight_smile:

My background is in Network Consulting and currently I work as a Security Engineer for a Firewall Vendor.

Looking forward to my journey :slight_smile:
Cheers

4 Likes

If that’s what you’re looking for. Something close to Windows. :wink:

really not liking it so far

can’t configure touchpad

set for NO password & now the add/remove software is locking in minutes because I don’t know the password

can’t configure single click for desktop

file manager, I’ve had better

shall I go on…

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Well, this is the wrong place to mention that. :innocent:

Go to #support and open one topic per issue and provide some good information:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptoms of the diseases, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Welcome and introduce yourself - 2020

Hi,
I am an old fellow who freed himself from Windows 10 tyranny last March. I installed Linux Mint on my laptop and never looked back. I love Linux and have learned a ton about it in the past 10 months. I am no coder, but I have learned some basic Python and can write simple shell scripts. I am running Manjaro Stable on my new Raspberry Pi4. I run the XFCE DE with i3wm on top. I love i3, but like to have the GUI underneath it (still a noob I guess…).

Quick shout out to all the experts across all the forums who share their experience and give great guidance to those of us who are still learning. THANK YOU!!

4 Likes

Hi there!
Long time windows user here…i guess not anymore hehehe
I’m fairly new to the linux world, but so far i’m liking this place, and i’m willing to learn the necessary ropes of Linux in general.
Got to say, the open source world sounds awesome and feels good to slowly become a part of it
much love and be safe everyone <3

4 Likes

Hey Everyone!! Back from the old forums finally.

Trying to grab some of my old howto’s and topics from the old forum and bring them back over. Mostly use on RPi4 and in a VM. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey all, I’ve used Manjaro as my main distro for almost two years now and I’ve lurked on the forums off and on since June.

I’ve got a background in web development, but I’ve become more and more interested in ARM devices of late. I’ve become interested in helping out with the Manjaro ARM effort, which is what prompted me to join the forums properly.

I’ve got a RPi 400 and a '20 PBP that are begging for a proper distro. I’ll be following Strit’s post on making images and praying that I don’t mess it up somehow.

2 Likes

You don’t actually have to make the images. They are already made for those devices. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, cool! Man, this project has done a lot in the last 6 months. Last time I went through here, there was just KDE, i3, and XFCE editions, and it was tricky to find the links. Everything is so much more organized now!

I just wish there was an image for Jade for PBPro, but even the emmc installer I made isn’t flashing properly. I will definitely be using that Sway image for my RPi.

Hi there
I’ve been using Linux for about 5 years mainly for daily use and some photography and audio stuff

1 Like

hey i am new here too, i might not be very active for next few months because my exams are going on but after that’s over i will try to do my best :slightly_smiling_face:

i currently use linux mint as my daily driver and manjaro as my secondary os, but this might change :sweat_smile:

Hello All,

Just came here to say thank you.
Finally, a linux distro that makes wifi work after a hard install without needing to fiddle with an ethernet connection and console.
I’m a simple normie who doesn’t want to be spied on by my own pc which I paid for.
This is probably the only post I will make in these forums.
Again, thank you to all the developers and people involved in this distro.

1 Like

Finally fully switched to manjaro few days ago
:smile:
its great, fast and so beautiful
just amazing :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Greeting My Friend!
I am Atap, i switched to manjaro a few days ago from another distro, i usually play video games and learning something new everyday, Thank You!

2 Likes

welcome @AtapFedora :slight_smile:

<?php echo "Hello $YourName !! :) \n"; ?>

I use Tennessee as main pseudonym (no reasons why) but you can call me “Adrien” too, as you wish.
I’m 33 year’s old.
Yes : i’m wedev, i use to work with PHP and i can already listening some people thinking : “” Oh no : one more ! “”. :sweat_smile:

Yes, i’m french. Sorry for my random english… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Have a nice day !

2 Likes

Hi,
thank you first for this awesome distro. It’s the only one that’s working “out of the box” with my gpu rx 6800 xt :slight_smile:
I know, my english is bad. Sorry!
Have a nice day

2 Likes