Welcome and introduce yourself - 2020

To keep spammers out, the limit was raised to Trust Level 2:

7 Likes

Hi my name is Kilian. I live in the Netherlands but I am German. I’ve been using Linux since 2007 and Arch since 2012. Manjaro came a while later and I use it on my personal laptop as well as on some of my families machines, as a more stable and more easily configurable alternative to Arch.

As a “Fachinformatiker / Systemintegration” -> low tier IT guy, I got a basic understanding of computing and networking, which I apply together with my Linux experience to help on this forum. Computers and Linux became a hobby for me, after I started my study in veterinary medicine, which is nearly finished.

I’m very grateful for the whole Open Source Community and their efforts to provide open and free alternatives for humanity. That’s why I want to do my part via helping on this forum.

12 Likes

^^ That sort of thing is one of the reasons I won’t use Windows 10. I do not want bugging devices in my home. I once caught Cortana trying to do a search on something it had heard on the TV, even though I thought it was turned off (a Windows Phone in this case) … in later versions of Win10 I believe it can’t be turned off.

So glad I made the switch to Linux, as I’m sure you are! :smiley:

6 Likes

My name is Ed and have been arround on the old forum for about a year or so

Like many others i started using Linux about 3 years ago with Linuxmint. Tried Ubuntu but didn’t like it at all.
It realy took of when Windows 10 came arround, i hated it! I decided to learn Linux, never recret it!

Since about a year i use Manjaro Cinnamon as my daily driver and i’m very pleased with it :grinning:
It is stable and works great, AUR is very nice and works great.
I switched to manjaro because i was sick and tired of old software and ubuntu kernels that didn’t seem to work on my recent hardware. Manjaro works flawlessly on my hardware!

9 Likes

Its amazing isn’t it. Huawei and ticktock get banned in the USA, we hear in the media about Russian cyber spies yet people willingly give 100x more information to Google, apple, Microsoft and Amazon. They don’t bat an eyelid over it

6 Likes

Could I suggest starting your own topic for this? Otherwise it will likely just get lost in the thread here as it’s really aimed at introductions.

All the best :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I guess that’s because their services are “convenient”, and also probably because most of people are not aware about all that spyware stuff in proprietary software.
I personally don’t get why so many people are complaining about W10 with all its forced updates that mess up the system and erases personal data (did read it several times), that cortana thing that eats like 3/4 of the RAM, ads in start menu … and yet they keep using it anyway :astonished:

5 Likes

My name is Clay, in the Seattle area of the United States.

I’m actually super new to Manjaro, having only installed it about seven days ago. But my dad has been a Linux guy since Torvalds’ email, and I grew up using CentOS and then Ubuntu (4.04 to 20.04). I switched recently to get at the newer kernel for hardware support, and like the feel of the community and the OS a bit more than Canonical or IBM/RedHat provide. Although I keep a Ubuntu 20.04 machine too, for when some programs are only (.deb).

I’m a linguist by training, analyst and part-time translator (中文) by profession.

Happy to “meet” everyone, it is so amazing to see posts from all over the world!

12 Likes

Hi all!

My name is Vasilis and I’m from Greece.

I’m using Manjaro since March 2018 on my desktop, where I have two partitions - Xfce and i3wm. I’m mainly using the i3wm edition.

I was a member of the old Manjaro Forum. It has been great to be part of this community.
I’m really glad to be part of this Forum again!

A big “thank you” to the Manjaro team for all the hard work! :+1:

14 Likes

Welcome (back).

3 Likes

Hi.
I’m also back. Same name as in the “old” forum. :wink:
My name’s Thomas and I’m from Austria.
I’ve been around in the Manjaro world for quite a time now, don’t know the exact date however.
Originally I’ve used Linux Cinnamon Mint as my daily driver, after the obligatoric dual boot phase, like most of you. :smiley: :wink:
Then I switched to Manjaro cinnamon, and now I’m using Manjaro awesome Edition as my Daily driver.
My Manjaro-PC did a really good job during Corona-crisis, when I had to stay in homeoffice.

I just love Manjaro. It’s stable and mature and the community is probably the most awesome community in the internet. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hi,

Linux user who originally just booted off of a thumb drive before buying my own Asus Eee 701 with #! Crunchbang. Happy to be here. I’ve been experimenting with the Pinebook Pro. Manjaro ARM is a big step up from the previous Debian installation that came pre-installed, especially since development on the laptop is still on-going.

10 Likes

Hello all!

I’m from Finland, and have been dabbling with various Linux distros for two decades. Nothing deep, just dabbling as I said. About a year ago, I tried Manjaro, and it just clicked. Been using it almost exclusively since with my Windows installation gathering dust. For some reason I have no real issues with this distro and things just seem a lot easier than with anything before. Earlier I’ve always had an uneasy feeling and thus have in the end avoided using Linux too much.

I have Manjaro with Plasma on my desktop, and with XFCE on my ages old laptop.

10 Likes

Hallo to everyone,

I’m writing from Italy (sorry for my poor english), I started about 13 years ago with Linux distro starting with Ubuntu “Gutsy Gibbon” found attached to a magazine and after 3 release moved to Debian stable-XFCE using an Acer 9500 with 1 Gb of Ram and Pentium M 1.73 Ghz.
Last year I retired the old PC and on the current Acer Swift SF315-52G I wanted to try the installation of Manjaro-KDE which took place without any driver compatibility problems for both the wi-fi card and the two graphics cards Intel and Nvidia.

There is no denying: a great software and a big applause to the voluntary developers who carry out the project :clap: :clap: :clap:

10 Likes

Hi All,

I’m Dave from Preston, Lancashire, England.
Currently building a DB server and a web server on Raspberry Pi4’s.

Been a developer for 41 years. (Dibol, Cobol, VB and Javascript [functional]).

Using Manjaro i3 on 3 Rasberry Pi’s and a i386 laptop.

Still got win 10 on the laptop but it’s getting ditched very soon along with Google.

Dave.

:seedling:

10 Likes

Some water for your seedling. Welcome!

3 Likes

:deciduous_tree:

From little acorns do mighty oak tree’s grow :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey there!

Just a GNU/Linux fan learning more and more.

I’ve been on a distro-hopping trouble till I discovered Manjaro.

I’m new to Arch Linux distros since I come from Debian based ones.

I must say till now this is the best distro I’ve tried.

And it has the best gaming experience I’ve ever felt on Linux.

Thanks for all your efforts !

7 Likes

Hi, Paolo here, from Italy.
My account was on previuos Manjaro forum.
I’m using happily Manjaro since the end of 2018 and linux since 2008.

7 Likes

OT @teju You could try detap to convert .deb to manjaro pkg, allthough succes is not guaranteed. I tried it once with Codelite and it works very well.

3 Likes