Welcome and introduce yourself - 2020

Hey, I’m Matt. I hopped in from Pop!_OS a short while ago because I wanted to peek around and see what the whole Manjaro / Arch experience is like. It’s not bad, and I think I might prefer it, for a number of reasons. Manjaro’s Arch base made me question taking the leap and distro hopping but I must say that this distro is really well put together.

Funnily enough my quirks with Ubuntu based distributions were similar to Brandon, above me. As much as the AUR is unsupported, I still take quite a lot of advantage of it, but I’d say I’m seasoned enough in this whole Linux thing to be able to resolve any issues I may come across as a result.

If it’s visible at all, the forum reports me on Windows due to the fact that my installation of Firefox resists fingerprinting.

Nice to meet all of you!

10 Likes

Sorry if I’m really late to the party here as I had to wait for a replacement monitor to arrive today. I’ve been part of the old forum since the end of May and got Forum Regular status just days before all hell broke loose, if you know what I mean. :smile:

I’m a Manjaro convert from Windows 10, a system admin around my house, and a Python and web programmer mainly working with Django and Wagtail CMS. I’ve used Manjaro since I first installed it on a laptop in December last year, and it’s my daily driver OS since I installed it on my main desktop PC in late January/early February, You can learn more about me by reading my self-introduction post in the old forum and my post on why I chose Manjaro and KDE over Windows 10.

Outside of that, I’m a big fan of classical and baroque music, cute anime especially the Love Live! series, and stuffed animals. My hobbies include building a CD library, photography, tracking the weather in my area, and hiking.

It’s nice to meet you all, and I hope this new forum is as welcoming as the old one!

11 Likes

Hi all, Bill in Vermont, USA here. I used Linux for work in the 90s, then went back to school and drifted away. Started dual booting with windows in 2008 and switched to Linux on my daily drivers in 2014. I used a variety of .deb based distros until 2016, when I switched my thinkpad to plasma on OpenSuse Tumbleweed which I love.

Now experimenting with a PinePhone braveheart and a PineBook Pro, both of which I have tried Manjaro on. Seems like a great OS with a very active community, so I’m hoping for good things.

Thanks to all the devs and community members for your hard work making this great OS!

10 Likes

Hello again from South England.
Terminal noob but keen learner.

Came from a W10 desktop and an Ubuntu laptop.

Glad to see the forum up and running again.

lurking begins

12 Likes

Hi all!

I began with my Linux experience around a year ago; I’ve been distro hopping between Ubuntu, Pop OS and Linux Mint. At the end of 2019 I bought a Pinebook Pro and when it came I tried Manjaro. After this experience, I switched all my other computers to this incredible OS and I’ve been enjoying this community since then!

Thanks to all of you for this amazing OS and this incredible forum that has solved more than one problem over this year in the community.

11 Likes

Hello folks

I’m a retired male from Scotland. I’ve been using Linux on and off for years, usually dual-booting with Windows. I’ve tried Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint, MX Linux, Manjaro, mostly all using the XFCE desktop which I find easy to customise.

About 3 years ago I got rid of Windows and made Manjaro XFCE my main installation. I’ve had no problems other than small niggling ones for which I found the answers to on the old forum - which will be sadly missed.

I’m using an old Lenovo E431 Edge laptop that I bought on eBay for £73 (including postage), the only addition I made was upgrading to 8GB memory. Had the Lenovo for over a year now and have retired my old Compaq desktop PC.

CPU: Dual Core Intel Core i3-2348M (-MT MCP-)
speed/min/max: 798/800/2300 MHz Kernel: 5.8.0-2-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 25m
Mem: 2462.0/7527.2 MiB (32.7%) Storage: 1.66 TiB (6.8% used) Procs: 199
Shell: inxi: 3.1.05

I wish you all good health in these troubled times.

FrankH

12 Likes

They are a bit OTT aren’t they, like it’s the user’s first time using a Forum … I’ve been on various Fora for more than two decades now!

You can turn them off in preferences, though.

8 Likes

Hey,
I’m from Austria and using Manjaro KDE since one year.
It’s great and I’m happy, hope the new forum will become as good as the old one.
Great work! :+1:

11 Likes

Hello, there is a my story how i found way to Manjaro. I have Manjaro only one month!

Why i left Windows?
I was feeling suffer and strurgle with Windows, everyone know it: Full RAM, unnecesasry disk and CPU load and emberasing notifications like Windows updates, waiting after boot and etc. I was need something different.

What i tried?
I tried Ubuntu, Linux mint, Zorin OS and i haven’t feel satisfied, old repositories, weird articles about Canonical, unhelpful or often cringe Ubuntu forum. My friend from Red Hat recommend Fedora, oh my god, please new users in the Linux world, don’t try Fedora. Installing NVIDIA and switching GPU is the pure hell.
After this experience i hated Linux but i continued search and i found Manjaro.

Points why i love Manjaro Linux.

• Manjaro is easy to use.
  • GPU drivers easy to install.
  • Switching GPUs is easy with optimus manager.
  • Low hardware requirements, after boot i have 500MB on RAM.
  • Nice and peaceful community.
  • Enough comfortable transition from Windows to Linux world.

I will spread information about Manjaro.
If someone around me will want to try Linux i will definitely recommend Manjaro. I was using Windows more than 14 years, transition was hard, but i did it. I was need only 3 days for transitions, because Manjaro is so easy and amazing.

14 Likes

Second Manjaro Forum incarnation for me & I’m glad it’s back, was getting a bit worried there! (I also hadn’t seen any OS updates in about a week).

Been using Manjaro KDE for about 2 years as my daily driver on this machine & a second installation a bit more recently for my mate to use (it’s easier having the same OS and DE on both machines, for admin purposes, which I do remotely).

The only issues I’ve had (and fixed) were due, almost certainly, to a “PEBCAK” issue. :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

I have used Manjaro cinnamon since the end of last year. I wanted to try a rolling release. Tried alot of distros over the years and used mint the longest, (still on my wifes machine). Manjaro has been much more stable than I expected. looks like I am here to stay.

11 Likes

Hello To All,

I’ve been using Manjaro since 2017 and I’ve been snooping around the forum since then.

I’m still very much of a newbie (the learning curve is long, very long, for me :wink:) but I know what I like and don’t like, and I’m a fan of KDE Plasma which is the DE that suits me the most up till now.

This is my second forum, now, so I hope that this time it’s going to be the last… Fingers crossed on that one. In the meantime I shall see how it goes. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Hello All,

Been using manjaro since early 2017, barring a few months i had to spend with windows near the end of 2017. I have been using linux a long time, but had never settled before manjaro. I distro-hopped nearly every month. So many flings and one night stands! But finally I found the one (for now :wink: ) that I have been in a stable relationship with for the last 3.67 years.

Using manjaro xfce on work and home desktops, and manjaro gnome on the laptop.

Excited and waiting eagerly yet patiently for manjaro on phones :smiley:

10 Likes

Hi, from jimmy,
I am retired engineering tech in my 70’s, now enjoying time with family, playing games, working puzzles, gardening and working on my family history. A lot of my career was spent in computerized control systems analysis and repair. The most OS used was DOS/Windows from ver 1.0. I used Linux Ubuntu some. So I am a beginner in Linux and after much reading, decided to use Linux Manjaro Xfce as my new learning tool. I have found many fine people and good information in your forum. I want to give a warm HELLO to all of you. Your help appreciated.

12 Likes

Hi,

like a few others I’ve already been a user in the old forum. And after those years I still can’t consider myself an expert in Manjaro :smiley: Every update still is something I do with hope that nothing breaks… I mean among my first updates was one with an update of xorg-stuff that resulted in X not starting properly. So I was supposed to go command-line only… Whow, strange stuff. I got it working after a while.

Nonetheless I don’t regret leaving Windows. Linux is way better :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I should perhaps forward my late step-father’s definition of “expert” (he still has some influence today!):
An “Ex” is a has-been and a “Spurt” is a drip under pressure".

So, don’t worry. :stuck_out_tongue:

At least we HAVE the TTY option in Linux so we can get things fixed. There is usually a way. Also an excellent and easy-to-use chroot utility

One update I did for VirtualBox, when using Mint 17.3 KDE, took out most of the GUI Desktop Environment i.e. unable to start X. Easily fixed as I’d saved the logs during the process & in 3 stages re-installed all the removed stuff, core stuff first then dependencies, then extras; started X & I was away on my Linux adventure again.

Another instance I borked it by forgetting to make a startup script executable, also easily fixed in a TTY once I’d realized what I hadn’t done. :blush:

Tip:
Get into the habit of routinely keeping logs of installs, upgrades etc. as this really helps when trying to recover from borkage. What I always do when running upgrades etc. is copy the Terminal output to a text file in my saved-logs directories. Have never needed the likes of Timeshift but you might wish to use that.

7 Likes

I bought a HP Desktop in 2007 with Vista. After some spectacular failures and data loss, I got Ubuntu Hardy installed - with an ethernet cable under my door to the corridor of my condo because I couldn’t get a wireless link to the router.

After using gnome2 for a while, I migrated to Mint and Cinnamon for a while until my curiousity led me to try out Arch for a while. After some frustration realising just how much work you had to do just to get a desktop - let alone one that does what I want - I put Manjaro Cinnamon on an old disk, and then another week threw on KDE (which I always hated back in the day).

10 Likes

I’m a using Manjaro ARM on my RaspberryPI, I’m new here but was also on the Old Forum. My main interest here is developing an implementation of processing in ruby that works on the RaspberryPI.

12 Likes

Hello folks!
I’m new on the forum, but not on the Manjaro.
Glad to be here again. Awesome work with the new forum.
My best wishes.

Hello you all!

11 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m a passionate computer fan. In “real life” I’m often on

two weels

:biking_man: :motorcycle:

After long time using Windoze on my :desktop_computer: and laptops I was jolly well fed up with M$'s customer-hostile attitude so that I installed Manjaro in March last year on the same disk together with Win7Pro (BIOS with MBR) which was cutoff from :globe_with_meridians: after the update service ended. This was my first :penguin: experience and the system works fabulous, big :hugs: to the team!

All little issues could be easily solved, some with the help of members of the awesome old forum which I joined in June last year. To give something back to the community I try to help here and there, my special area of epertise is using the search engines :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. So, I’m happy to participate in this pulsating journey and hope that the Manjaro distribution and the new forum thrive and prosper! :beers:

I wish you all a good time here and keep well. :four_leaf_clover:

12 Likes