Welcome and introduce yourself - 2020

Welcome (back).

3 Likes

Hi.
I’m also back. Same name as in the “old” forum. :wink:
My name’s Thomas and I’m from Austria.
I’ve been around in the Manjaro world for quite a time now, don’t know the exact date however.
Originally I’ve used Linux Cinnamon Mint as my daily driver, after the obligatoric dual boot phase, like most of you. :smiley: :wink:
Then I switched to Manjaro cinnamon, and now I’m using Manjaro awesome Edition as my Daily driver.
My Manjaro-PC did a really good job during Corona-crisis, when I had to stay in homeoffice.

I just love Manjaro. It’s stable and mature and the community is probably the most awesome community in the internet. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hi,

Linux user who originally just booted off of a thumb drive before buying my own Asus Eee 701 with #! Crunchbang. Happy to be here. I’ve been experimenting with the Pinebook Pro. Manjaro ARM is a big step up from the previous Debian installation that came pre-installed, especially since development on the laptop is still on-going.

10 Likes

Hello all!

I’m from Finland, and have been dabbling with various Linux distros for two decades. Nothing deep, just dabbling as I said. About a year ago, I tried Manjaro, and it just clicked. Been using it almost exclusively since with my Windows installation gathering dust. For some reason I have no real issues with this distro and things just seem a lot easier than with anything before. Earlier I’ve always had an uneasy feeling and thus have in the end avoided using Linux too much.

I have Manjaro with Plasma on my desktop, and with XFCE on my ages old laptop.

10 Likes

Hallo to everyone,

I’m writing from Italy (sorry for my poor english), I started about 13 years ago with Linux distro starting with Ubuntu “Gutsy Gibbon” found attached to a magazine and after 3 release moved to Debian stable-XFCE using an Acer 9500 with 1 Gb of Ram and Pentium M 1.73 Ghz.
Last year I retired the old PC and on the current Acer Swift SF315-52G I wanted to try the installation of Manjaro-KDE which took place without any driver compatibility problems for both the wi-fi card and the two graphics cards Intel and Nvidia.

There is no denying: a great software and a big applause to the voluntary developers who carry out the project :clap: :clap: :clap:

10 Likes

Hi All,

I’m Dave from Preston, Lancashire, England.
Currently building a DB server and a web server on Raspberry Pi4’s.

Been a developer for 41 years. (Dibol, Cobol, VB and Javascript [functional]).

Using Manjaro i3 on 3 Rasberry Pi’s and a i386 laptop.

Still got win 10 on the laptop but it’s getting ditched very soon along with Google.

Dave.

:seedling:

10 Likes

Some water for your seedling. Welcome!

3 Likes

:deciduous_tree:

From little acorns do mighty oak tree’s grow :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey there!

Just a GNU/Linux fan learning more and more.

I’ve been on a distro-hopping trouble till I discovered Manjaro.

I’m new to Arch Linux distros since I come from Debian based ones.

I must say till now this is the best distro I’ve tried.

And it has the best gaming experience I’ve ever felt on Linux.

Thanks for all your efforts !

7 Likes

Hi, Paolo here, from Italy.
My account was on previuos Manjaro forum.
I’m using happily Manjaro since the end of 2018 and linux since 2008.

7 Likes

OT @teju You could try detap to convert .deb to manjaro pkg, allthough succes is not guaranteed. I tried it once with Codelite and it works very well.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m a System Engineer working for a government contractor, and have recently introduced myself to Manjaro. I’ve used other, Debian-based Linux Operating Systems, but none really had captured and impressed me as much as this has.

In my down-time I am an avid gamer, looking very seriously at implementing a Dual Boot on my Windows 10 machine to compare the differences between the two OS’s while gaming. After installing Manjaro on an old Toshiba Satellite, 17" laptop and looking at the display setting and other aspects that just automatically installed and configured … seems to me that this is definitely going to be a challenger for Windows environments.

Anyway, happy to be here, really would like to know where I can learn the CLI commands, since it’s so different from Debian. Any suggestions would be awesome!

8 Likes

Hi and welcome,

The only notable difference is for the package manager, you can check the rosetta stone page on the arch wiki to see differences between apt and pacman, we also have mhwd to deal with GPU drivers and this tool is specific to manjaro so check the wiki page, the rest is (mostly) just the same =)

6 Likes

Blockquote we also have mhwd to deal with GPU drivers and this tool is specific to manjaro so check the wiki page, the rest is (mostly) just the same =)

That’s another question that I was unable to find an answer for. How can I be sure that the correct NVidia driver was loaded on my laptop? My resolution is 1600x900, so I believe that it happened but would like to make sure (check under the hood, so-to-speak).

2 Likes

GAH! Not NVidia, apparently it’s an AMD GPU … saw in the Wiki (Thanks for that BTW) how to query to see which driver is being used.

2 Likes

Yes, generally, but there seem to be a few differences in the default directory structure as well. I’ll have to document those although it’s of no real importance, but as far as commands are concerned, Pacman commands tend to become second nature and Pamac is even easier to learn and use.

2 Likes

Ok, first of September. Time to introduce myself again.

I live in Belgium, moved from one part of the country to the other side. My native language is Dutch. I can also speak some French and a little bit of English. I grew up with ‘the other’ OS, so sometimes I have a hard time switching between the both. It can be a mess in my head.

In real live I am a branch manager of a Dutch company. (Nothing to do with ICT)
I love animals, especially cats. I don’t have much free time, but when I have a few minutes I start making Wallpapers. I try to read as much topics on this forum as I can. I give a reply when I think my answer matters, but PLEASE do NOT (I repeat DO NOT) follow my instructions, or your computer will crash, fail and never boot again.

I can say much more, but I won’t :innocent:

11 Likes

:laughing: Love it!

4 Likes

Kia Ora.

From Rotorua, New Zealand.

Tried the Ubuntu flavours and don’t imagine I’ll go back after recently installing Manjaro/KDE on a Razer Blade Stealth.

Still hoping one day I can play all my PC games on linux. Until then I still use windows for gaming.

8 Likes

Only complaint I have is that it is really annoying not being able to post a picture or a link on this forum as a new user… this is (somewhat) essential, as many issues do not have a wall of text you can copy and paste into the post.

4 Likes