Virtual Machine

Hi all, Im fairly new to linux and I need help getting the virtual machine portion to work. No matter what VM sofware i use it still results in terrible performance. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Im trying to get Windows 10 virtual machine to work.

Hi @cena, and welcome!

Worse than a bare-bones computer’s performance is expected, since it’s virtual so everything must be emulated by the CPU.

Nevertheless, there are certain technologies that mitigate this somewhat. But wee need more information to know if they are in operation. To that end, please see:

Please also note and heed: Forum Rules - Manjaro

Hope you manage!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Please also explain how you did the installation and which software you tried.

Hello @cena :wink:

Gnome is a 3D-Desktop and require GPU Acceleration for good performance. Depending on your VM Software, you need to enable it (and install the guest driver if not already there).

1 Like
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
1 Like

Hi @cena

I find that allowing significantly more RAM per VM tends to help. However, this makes the assumption that you have an abundance of system RAM to spare.

I have Windows 10/11 VMs that perform sufficiently with 16GB of RAM assigned; 8GB is also acceptable. It depends just what you’re hoping to achieve in the environment.

Writing your VM filesystem(s) to a physical disk can also expose more of your systems hardware capabilies to the VM guest, and potentially give better performance, however, support for this seems to vary according to the VM software, and of course the guest OS being used.

How do i make a virtual machine detect my GPU so I can run games through it? I know I can because I’ve done it on windows but linux just makes this harder i’ve enabled virtualization, I’ve followed this guide for VMM, GitHub - Marrca35/Single-GPU-Passthrough-for-Arch-Linux: This is an updated guide to help people create a virtual machine with single gpu passthrough , So what am I doing wrong?
Specs-
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
RTX 3060
16GB RAM

I also want to know this.

I assume you run the virtualization on Manjaro with either Vmware of Virtualbox?

I was going to look into this, the first thing I was going to do was to start the vm software with prime-run and hoping that would fix it, but I have not gotten further than the planning stage so I will def keep en eye on the responses here. :slight_smile:

or qemu/kvm ?

his question is total BS, giving no information but expects solutions…
total nonsense to waste any time with him.

I suggest you create a GitHub account, and ask the author of the guide you linked that same question. Good luck.

Im using Vritual Machine Manager

Welcome to the forum @cena , and may this be your first introduction to the Community Guidelines.

1 Like

First prerequisite is that you do have a second GPU to spare, to pass it through to the VM.
You cannot use the one you are already using.

PCI passthrough via OVMF - ArchWiki

Provided you have a desktop computer with a spare GPU you can dedicate to the host (be it an integrated GPU or an old OEM card, the brands do not even need to match) and that your hardware supports it (see #Prerequisites) …

That makes no sense. I used virtual box on windows 10 weeks before downloading linux and it detected my gpu just fine.

What we have here is probably a massive misunderstanding of the issue you seem to have - either by me or by you. :man_shrugging:

One OS (Linux, running the VM, in this case) uses one GPU.
If you have got a second GPU, the OS running inside the VM can be convinced to use that one - not in all cases though.
My Laptop, for instance, has got two GPUs - but I can’t single out the one I’m not using and pass it through to the VM (see prerequisites).
Hardware limitations.
I’d love to have a virtual Windows that can use the Radeon GPU which I’m not using.
Not possible with this Laptops hardware.

Yeah I only have 1 GPU running on a desktop, but like I said I only had 1 GPU on windows 10 before linux and I could run a Virtual machine under vmware, and virtual box just fine… I just dont understand why its a problem now…

… maybe try to describe the problem you have once more and in more detail?

You are saying that under Windows, you could install and use a Virtual Machine
(running which OS?)
and this virtualized OS was not using a virtualized GPU, but the native one directly?
Are you saying that?

In any case - I would not know about this. I rarely use Windows and only have a few VM’s of it.
Not for Gaming - the performance of the virtualized GPU is not good enough.

What I know and until now regarded as a fact is:
one can’t have two operating systems using the same hardware at the same time
That’s why you need two GPUs - so you can pass one of them through to the VM.

Is this a XY problem?

What is the end goal here?

To play a game that is windows native?

If that is the case, what you want to use is not a virtual machine. You want to use something called proton, and you can use it in a multitude of ways.
You can use steam if the game is on there. You can use it through lutris. Wine. etc etc.

So tell us what the actual goal is.

Thats a whole nother problem that I’ve already tried to solve…

Yes I was using windows 10 visualizing windows 7 (for fun) and it was detecting all my hardware without any extra config besides guest additions, It was using my native RTX 3060 without visualizing the GPU

Well, whether that is true or not - you cannot do that with Linux as the host AFAIK.

One idea would be to have Linux as a headless system - no graphics at all
so that the GPU can be used for the guest OS.
But that is clearly not what you want.

What do you want?
What do you want to achieve in the end?