Unable to boot pc

I’ve booted into tty with ctrl alt f2 but I’m just lost at what to do and English isn’t my
best language and I’m getting confused with these words it’s showing

Can you login at that point (type username - RETURN, then your password -RETURN)?

I can login to tty and that’s how I’ve been getting the outputs, my pc just won’t boot or anything

In which case you are booting, but not to the GUI login page (display manager), which I assume is what your issue is right now. is that right? Do you happen to know whether the display manager is lightdm, gdm…etc?

I’m pretty sure it’s gdm, and I think you’re right cause no display shows up just my pcs company logo and ut freezes on there. Idfk if this helps but when it first boots it says checking for media display and then no display present

I don’t know if this is the issue, but it may be worth checking the graphic drivers(it complains about nvidia) Maybe vmware decided it should install you property drivers or smth…
Mhwd is the command to list the drivers, i would uninstall everything video related to test.

This shows up when I run mhwd, would I just uninstall everything here? If so is the command just pamac remove?

Specifically in your case

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-470xx

once again, this is just a try, i am not sure it will solve the problem but it would not harm at least.

you need to type mwhd -li to show installed drivers
You listed all available drivers.

This shows up with the commands, sorry I can’t copy and paste it

This shows up with mhwd -li

yeah, so you tried to uninstall stuff you didnt have.
But you do have both the open source AND the non open installed, remove video-linux and try if that helps.

What should I do? I can’t boot at all

Honestly, remove BOTH and then reinstall recommended driver for your system.
The links to wiki is provided by @Teo above.

I managed to remove video-linux but when I try to remove video-nvidia it shows this

You REALLY need to provide an inxi.

Do you know how to mount a usb stick so you can access it in cli?

Then I can help you to create a log file that you can copy, paste from to here in the forum.

I don’t know how to do that, and I entered inxi and it shows

And I can’t copy and paste

either stop doing stuff and do what ppl ask you to do, or I can guarantee you the support will stop from the forum.

I suggested a quick dirty fix but i am not that sure anymore. You have a lot of stuff dependent on that driver (cuda vaapi utils etc.). We can purge them all of course, and then you would be able to unistall the driver, but we are actually still not sure if that is the problem. Collecting logs as suggested before would be the better option. So more competent people than me can see why exactly X server or whatever fails.

If you want to continue to blindly try to remove the propitiery nvidia and see what happens, then it would be

sudo pacman -Rd nvidia-utils cuda nvidia-vaapi-driver-git

But it is a dangerous path, trying to fix with wild guess without actually knowing the problem. Consider doing it the right way - boot from live usb, chroot, post inxi and journalctl etc. One of the tutorials is already linked above, the other would be

I done the inxi command it says in there but I can’t copy and paste it because I don’t have gui

That’s all I can send from it because I can’t scroll up to the beginning

just chroot, as you were instructed above:
boot into manjaro live usb, make sure you are connected to internet, open terminal and chroot:
manjaro-chroot -a
rerun update:
pacman-mirrors -f 5 && pacman -Syyu
if there are errors post the output here, if there are no errors and you are up to date, post output from:
mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l -li
pacman -Qs nvidia
pacman -Qm
ldconfig - (this should return nothing)

and use formatting for the outputs, click this icon in editor </> and copy the output there;
or use:

```
your output here
```

1 Like