Tweak Manjaro to run faster than WIN10

Hello community and greetings.

I am retiring my old debian laptop ( i5, 3 GB RAM, HDD, Icewm ) and moving to a new laptop HP 245 G8 ( AMD Ryzen5, 8 GB, 250GB NVME SSD ). The new laptop is pre-installed with win 10 and running really fast on nvme. Even it is supporting few MAC like gesture, flawlessly.

[1]. I would like to switch to Manjaro per its great review and more important the arch based rolling release. So I have installed Manjaro XFCE 21.2.4 ( no encryption ) , community based drivers as dual boot making separate /boot/efi keeping win 10 untouched and the dual boot is working fine. But Manjaro is comparatively running slow than win10. FF, chrome, thunderbird, office … are taking comparatively more time… Also post log into XFCE, taking time to connect with wifi, . It would be a great help , if you experts share any post installation H/W tweaking which can make this newly installed linux run faster or at-least with same speed like win10.

[2]. From security point, I would like to enable disk encryption as I did earlier based on LUKS1+LVM… Seems we have better option now with improved H/W and linux kernel… Swap as file… Though am not sure if hibernation works with such setup with disk encryption. Again LUKS2 is available but am lost as some posts suggest it is not that much fast like LUKS1. Could you please put me on track to follow best combination we have these days to allow hibernation along with FDE ( excluding /boot/efi ) ? I’m preparing this laptop for primary system and will delete win10 to reclaim disk, hence need to try out all the scope to make it robust and secured.

Thank you for your time.

Hi @ , and welcome!

In order for us or anyone for that matter, to be able to provide assistance, more information is necessary. To that end, please see:

Also, please provide the output for:

systemd-analyze

And

systemd-analyze blame

These two commands should show anything that takes a long time during boot.

Hope you manage!

Hello Mirdarthos,

Thanks you for your response. Please find below the required system information. I was also checking /var/log/messages to check but no such file available.

systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 4.854s (firmware) + 2.771s (loader) + 3.615s (kernel) + 3.402s (userspace) = 14.643s 
graphical.target reached after 2.225s in userspace
# systemd-analyze blame
1.559s systemd-random-seed.service
1.174s tlp.service
1.053s dev-nvme0n1p6.device
 746ms upower.service
 656ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
 532ms snapd.service
 395ms apparmor.service
 270ms user@1000.service
 231ms cups.service
 173ms udisks2.service
 172ms polkit.service
 165ms systemd-logind.service
 133ms ModemManager.service
 117ms accounts-daemon.service
 115ms systemd-journald.service
 109ms systemd-user-sessions.service
 100ms boot-efi.mount
  97ms systemd-udevd.service
  95ms lvm2-monitor.service
  90ms systemd-journal-flush.service
  84ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
  59ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
  54ms NetworkManager.service

This isn’t everything, there is more requested:

Your startup time looks good, I see no problems there, and from experience I found that Manjaro is significantly faster and more stable than Windows. I’m thinking in your case it is because of caching, so it only seems faster.

But I have no way of proving this, so I can’t determine whether it’s so, or not. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can help.

Your startup time looks good, I see no problems there,

agreed, don’t see any issue in startup. Only the apps like FF, TDB, Chrome, office etc… are opening late ( comparing that of win10 ). I can understand if used gnome or KDE with heavy animation… but XFCE should perform better. Not sure if kernel can be an issue but given that too.

5.15.28-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 11 14:12:57 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Do we need any setup for NVME SSD to exploit its full capability ?

Not that I’m aware of at the moment. Mine is standard. Post the output of:

cat /etc/fstab

Please.

The reason for this is that Windows pre-loads frequently used apps into the RAM on startup. You can do the same with preload on linux.

pamac build preload
sudo systemctl enable --now preload.service

:notebook: AUR is unsupported on Manjaro and mainly created for ArchLinux, but most things still works.

At /etc/preload.conf you can adjust the configs, but the default should be enough at common use cases.

1 Like

What is the GPU? Which driver are you using for the GPU? (Model shows “on board” AMD iGPU).

Do applications load more snappy after you’ve already ran them at least once or twice? Or is it consistently the same “delay” every time?

Did you enable compositing?

Hi all and thanks for your responses. I restarted win10 a few times to avoid caching if any and observed apps are opening with same speed every time which is faster than MA. As suggested also installed and enabled preload but that didn’t show any major impact. No compositing is enabled, just the XFCE as shipped with Installer. Below is the /etc/fastab I have .

UUID=AC9A-7D89                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=2c50e634-97ef-4d31-bff6-d7153f9ac635 swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 0
UUID=b799713d-acdd-467a-b88f-177ea9e42714 /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1

Should I switch to brtfs or XFS for performance boost at file system level ?

Below is the GPU details

# lspci | grep VGA
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso/Raven 2 [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c2)

Can you try with compositing enabled?

There’s nothing that should bottleneck your current setup, as you’re describing.

With that said, how “bad” is this delay?

To re-iterate, do you also notice this:

Do applications load more snappy after you’ve already ran them 
at least once or twice? Or is it consistently the same “delay” every time?

It is consistently the same delay every time. Verified with thunderbird, openofffice and firefox.

how “bad” is this delay?

well , FF opens within 3 sec in win10, while it takes 6/7 sec in Manjaro as noticed.

Even with compositing enabled?

Even with compositing enabled?

yes, cross-checked… compositor is enabled.

What is the model of your NVMe drive?

here is the NVME model

# nvme list
Node                  SN                   Model                                    Namespace Usage                      Format           FW Rev  
--------------------- -------------------- ---------------------------------------- --------- -------------------------- ---------------- --------
/dev/nvme0n1          2L372LQD72AJ         ADATA SWORDFISH                          1         250.06  GB / 250.06  GB    512   B +  0 B   SVN5959 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Improving_performance