Trouble installing Manjaro KDE on PC build with Nvidia 1050 TI

(x-posted from r/ManjaroLinux, I was told the answers here are better :smile: )

Hello, I recently built a PC and am having trouble installing an OS onto it. I tried originally booting from a live USB with Ventoy and Manjaro KDE (manjaro-kde-21.1.0-minimal-210817-linux513), but I could never get past the GRUB boot screen. I also tried installing Arch Linux, but it said something like ā€œno EFI boot sectors foundā€ (I donā€™t remember exactly what it was). My friend whoā€™s helped me with basically every Linux problem found me an older install of Manjaro KDE (manjaro-kde-18.1.2-191028-linux53), which does install, but when I boot to it, installing all the updates is a nightmare. I tried installing the 2000+ updates, and it took probably an hour on the ā€œchecking inter-conflictsā€ step, and thereā€™s no feedback during that step so I have no idea if itā€™s even working or not. Also, if I try rebooting while this happens, the install is then broken and it fails to boot. I even tried rebooting after not even updating, but just looked at the list and it still failed to boot.

My friend suspects its the graphics card thatā€™s causing the issue, as every other part is brand new except for that (thanks scalpers), and the 1050 TI is a few generations old. What should I do at this point? What makes sense to me is getting the latest version of Manjaro KDE with the Nvidia drivers that are on the old version that Iā€™ve been installing, but of course I donā€™t know enough about Linux to know thatā€™s 100% the problem.

Assuming you have an nvidia card you should have an onboard card on the mobo right? Maybe plug the video channel on the mobo during the install and later we work on the nvidia stuff. But I do have a manjaro install in a laptop which has a 1050ti so it is definitively doable.

I do not have an onboard card, just the 1050 TI

What motherboard do you have? I bell all I it has an onboard card.

itā€™s an ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard. I would include a link but the forum wouldnā€™t let me post it.

I tried plugging my HDMI into the port on the motherboard and nothing was outputted to my monitor

Take a look here: Problems booting after some changes - #16 by lkovacs

Ok so if Iā€™m following, Iā€™m supposed to plug the cable into the mobo HDMI, then the nvidia HDMI? or just the mobo HDMI? I tried both, neither works; with the nvidia HDMI it shows the mobo splash screen and goes to the Manjaro KDE live USB GRUB boot menu, but with the mobo HDMI it shows nothing at all.

Plug on the mobo HDMI, se if it boots and you can install without the nvidia drivers, then you will have manjaro running and we tackle the nvidia setup.

Thatā€™s the thing, the mobo HDMI does absolutely nothing. No picture at all

Does this mobo bios allow you to select or disable the onboard graphics card?

Hello @AvgUsrName :wink:

I have a GTX 1050 Ti. No problems at all. Neither Open Source nouveau nor Proprietary nvidia. Both work. Howeverā€¦ on the ISOs 10xx cards should work out of the box with nouveau if OpenSource or free is selected.

I think most consumer MOBOs these days do not have onboard graphics. Well, not just these days, I havenā€™t seen a consumer MOBO with onboard graphics in many years.

And OP is most likely using a CPU with no iGPU.

2 Likes

I looked through the BIOS and found nothing about an onboard GPU

Exactly, my friend who picked out the parts for me even told me thereā€™s no onboard card.

Indeed ! If the CPU does not have a GPU option the onboard HDMI will probably not work. (It took me a few minutes to figure that out, I have a B540 and ryzen 5 3600 (no internal gpu unit))

I tried booting the live USB with Manjaro KDE with both the open source and proprietary drivers, both showed a black screen after choosing

Highly not recommended to install via an old installer, as configs have changed a lot.

I would recommend you to try using manjaro-architectā€¦ but the Manjaro team no longer releases the manjaro-architect ISO unfortunately, which makes me sad because thatā€™s the ISO I mainly use. But itā€™s probably because itā€™s unmaintained now. It does get some updates though.

You could technically use it on the Live ISOā€¦ but youā€™d have to update that whole Live ISO to get the newest manjaro-architect because just updating manjaro-architect might break it due to partial upgrade and I donā€™t think thatā€™ll work that well.

Edit: Oh also, the older ISO might be working because it contains the correct driver for your GPU, and the newer doesnā€™t by default. Itā€™s a possibility. I wouldnā€™t know how to fix the issue thoughā€¦ I stick with AMD because itā€™s built into the kernel.

OKā€¦ maybe try this at least:

1. Boot the ISO
  2. edit the menu with e
  3. add on the kernel parameter systemd.unit=multi-user.target

Now the ISO should boot to the basic login prompt. Login there with:

username: manjaro
password: manjaro

Now you can try to start:

sudo systemctl start display-manager.service

or

startx

to skip the login screen.

You can also change the TTY with CTRL+ALTF1 untilF9

At /var/log/Xorg.0.log you will get more information:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | less

I put this in the ā€œsetparamsā€ list inside the single quotes, but it didnā€™t boot. Is that where itā€™s supposed to go?

EDIT: Also worth noting is that when it goes to the black screen, my keyboard backlighting also turns off; wonder if this means anything.

It must be set after

linux /boot/vmlinuz-$version systemd.unit=multi-user.target

Or after quiet on this picture: