[Testing Update] 2023-10-21 - Kernels, GNOME 45, VirtualBox, KDE, Thunderbird

@gothicVI you may want to update without kpeoplevcard and reinstall it if needed:

sudo pacman -Rdd kpeoplevcard
sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman -S kpeoplevcard

5 Likes

@philm look:

Now in testing too…

1 Like

i get these errors

oct. 21 14:06:32 gvfsd-trash[1269]: GFileInfo created without standard::name
oct. 21 14:06:32 gvfsd-trash[1269]: file ../glib/gio/gfileinfo.c: line 1699 (g_file_info_get_name): should not be reached
oct. 21 14:06:32 gvfsd-trash[1269]: file ../glib/gio/gfileinfo.c: line 1699 (g_file_info_get_name): should not be reached

just for 4 files in trash → empty

new microcode AMD Zen coming

Had the same thing happen on unstable.
kpeoplevcard 0.1+r38.32d50a9-1 was built by Manjaro’s @oberon and the newer 0.1-2 coming from arch doesn’t have a higher version number (due to disadvantageous revision naming on the older Manjaro package).
Simply allow to downgrade to update:

$ sudo pacman -Syuu
8 Likes

Solved it. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

[Unstable Update] Gnome 45

ZFS extramodules; i.e., linuxXX-zfs, have been dropped from the repos. There have been recent difficulties building them and no one on the Manjaro Team uses ZFS.

Please install zfs-dkms instead. You will to need to manually remove the old 2.1.13 extramodule package(s) first to install the new 2.2.0 packages; i.e., with linux61:

sudo pacman -R linux61-zfs && sudo pacman -Syu zfs-dkms

packages.manjaro.org - zfs

Have you tried using r8168 driver instead of r8169 driver ?

Yes, thanks for the reminder, there where some post regarding that particular chip a few announcements back.

Summary
System:
  Kernel: 6.5.8-1-MANJARO
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: ASRock driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
    port: f000 bus-ID: 05:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
  IF: enp5s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

Network:
    vendor: ASRock driver: r8168 v: 8.052.01-NAPI modules: r8169 pcie: gen: 1
    speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: f000 bus-ID: 05:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
    class-ID: 0200
  IF: enp5s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

When testing and finding nothing, also tried lts kernel just to check & no change.
After reboot to 6.5:

Network:
    vendor: ASRock driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
    port: f000 bus-ID: 05:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
  IF: enp5s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

[    9.026649] r8169 0000:05:00.0 enp5s0: renamed from eth0
[   10.156803] r8169 0000:05:00.0 enp5s0: Link is Down
[   22.623627] r8169 0000:05:00.0 enp5s0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

It’s a kind of magic, won’t dwell on it, was planning to reset the ISP box next…

I had to allow downgrade of package in order to apply the update.

Correct, thank you.
This git package was pushed to extra instead of kde-unstable by accident. Please just ‘downgrade’ to the stable version. :+1:

pacman -S manjaro-settings-manager okular pamac-tray-icon-plasma  sddm-breath-theme
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "kitemmodels", a dependency of "manjaro-settings-manager"
warning: cannot resolve "kauth", a dependency of "manjaro-settings-manager"
warning: cannot resolve "kcoreaddons", a dependency of "manjaro-settings-manager"
warning: cannot resolve "kpty", a dependency of "okular"
warning: cannot resolve "kactivities", a dependency of "okular"
warning: cannot resolve "threadweaver", a dependency of "okular"
warning: cannot resolve "kparts", a dependency of "okular"
warning: cannot resolve "knotifications", a dependency of "pamac-tray-icon-plasma"
:: The following packages cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      manjaro-settings-manager  okular  pamac-tray-icon-plasma

:: Do you want to skip the above packages for this upgrade? [y/N]
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'kitemmodels' required by manjaro-settings-manager
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'kauth' required by manjaro-settings-manager
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'kcoreaddons' required by manjaro-settings-manager
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'kpty' required by okular
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'kactivities' required by okular
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'threadweaver' required by okular
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'kparts' required by okular
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'knotifications' required by pamac-tray-icon-plasma
2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: [ARM Testing Update] 2023-10-21 - Kernels, PipeWire, KDE Gear & Frameworks, Thunderbird

Can you maybe put the proper package back in Testing repo then?

@ivanich Maybe properly update your system before trying to do what you’re trying to do (what are you doing!?).

@omano pacman -Suy is what I initially did, but the above packages conflicted so I removed them and then did usual upgrade with Suy, so it’s not a user error if you meant that.

@ivanich thx for reporting. seems KDE Framework 5.111.0 on Arch removed the provides lines, hence all our overlay packages need to be adjusted for the new renaming of those.

You probably should have posted that then instead of removing packages. Weird that nobody had issues with these packages but you. Also, since couple update at least we have knotifications5, kactivities5, and so on. Packages got renamed before, didn’t you get these renamed packages? Or did you refuse to replace these packages in previous updates?

I have all *5 packages in place. The problem is that some packages like okular-23.08 is not in the repo for some reason, or several other still depends on the “old” non *5 packages. Anyway if you don’t have any useful suggestions please stop wasting other people time with your comments.

I encountered a similar issue, but I encountered it on Manjaro ARM. After downloading the latest PKGBUILD for Okular and compiling and installing the package, I still had issues with the installation of the packages: pamac-tray-icon-plasma, sddm-breath-theme, and manjaro-settings-manager.

By the way, has the sddm-breath-theme package been deprecated? Are there any alternatives? It seems that there is no package named sddm-breath2-theme.

I try to understand an issue only you seemed to have here on this thread. If you’re too soft skinned to handle a simple question, similar to you, I suggest you don’t come on the internet.

I can confirm that, now when I shutdown I hear a big “clung” and my 8TB HDD speeds down “audibly”.
No error found in journal.

However I can notice now a different behavior on an “issue” I noticed before when waking up the computer from sleep.

Before I always had this error when waking up computer:

oct. 21 17:11:26 omano-nvme kernel: ata2: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)

But now when waking up I get:

oct. 22 11:50:07 omano-nvme kernel: ata2.00: VERIFY failed (err_mask=0x4)
oct. 22 11:50:07 omano-nvme kernel: ata2.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)

The HDD doesn’t seem to have an issue though after waking up it works. But the sound it makes when shutting down is kinda “scary” in a way, as described by Gavenga.

//EDIT: continued discussion here When shutting down PC, all mechanical hard-disks run down hard - #12 by omano

1 Like

This is exactly what i get!! Both the 4TiB Archiv-disk and the Windoz-User-Disk react as described…
EDIT: solution in above Omano thread!

Had to remove latte-dock-git and a bunch of AUR packages (plasma plugins, plasma themes) because of that update, but it still stopped because of kpeoplevcard.

The package kpeoplevcard is needed by kdeconnect, so the update conflicts with packages from Manjaro repos.

I’ll try to update with downgrade, as suggested above.

EDIT: Yeah, the -Syyuu option worked, update is proceeding now.

I wonder, if the latte-dock-git can be compiled with the newer named packages? Latte-dock from repo doesn’t have all options that git version has, and those additional options are a must.

EDIT 2: The update wasn’t successful, because of:

python-charset-normalizer: /usr/bin/normalizer

which is already in the system. I have no idea what this normalizer is. Hmm… Pacman says that this file doesn’t belong to any package.

EDIT 3: I renamed the package manually and… it literally vanished… No idea what happened, but of course, the update reinstated it again, so no biggie.

Today’s update is very problematic and needs to be smoothed out till it goes into stable.

I checked the latte-dock-git and it tries to get the missing old packages from AUR… no, thanks.

RIP Latte-Dock, you will be greatly missed :cry: !