[Testing Update] 2022-07-08 - Kernels, Pipewire, Mesa, KDE Gear, Gnome, Python, Haskell

After updating Firefox would not start for me and crashed to the crash reporter, using firefox --safe-mode also results in a immediate crash and the crash reporter. The content of the crash report does not give me any clues what could be the issue. Starting firefox from the command line does not output any errors or messages.

Solution: remove ~/.mozilla/ and start firefox with a clean profile (and syncing settings solved this for me)

1 Like

EXACTLY, ESPECIALLY since 5.25 has features 5.24.6 doesn’t.

1 Like

alternate views to think about manjaro branchs;

when you are in the testing branch, you are effective in the process of testing manjaro with the intent of delivering stable releases/updates. and stable plasma release still is 5.24.6 as deemed by the manjaro team (which is wise with it being the LTS release)

your self-centered intentions being in the testing branch might be to have one layer of insulation to avoid possible rogue updates, while still getting the latest updates, but it just doesnt work that way, not in software testing.

the only branch that is devoid of this debacle is the unstable branch. so either move to the unstable branch OR be happy with what you get, when you get it. (this statement in only meant for ppl in testing branch who keep whining over delayed updates and hypocritical enough to call other ppl silly)

Moderator edit: Removed inappropriate language

12 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly!

Please keep on topic and enjoy the free service without complaints and a whole lot of gratitude.

Moderator edit: Removed inappropriate language from quoted post

4 Likes

So, to be clear if we want to test out this new feature (speedup boot process), do we uncomment the MODULE_DECOMPRESS line and leave it with the value of ‘yes’ ?

Just want to be sure I am making the correct change. Thank you!

Can you tell me the exact grep command you are running for this output @Zesko? I want to check if I also am having this issue or not. Sorry for the ‘newb’ question, still learning my way around Linux.

Thanks for the help!

Correct. Remember to generate initramfs images with mkinitcpio after.

1 Like

Current pipewire versions do not seem to work well with chromium - tried with chromium from the official repo as well as with chromium 105.0.5153.0 compiled by myself.

See Audio stutters when playing YouTube videos in Chromium for details.

Amendment: Possibly related to Heavy stuttering when more than one audio source is playing (regression started in 0.3.53) (#2525) · Issues · PipeWire / pipewire · GitLab although Firefox does not seem to be affected on my machine.

What is the exact command I need to run? Is it:

mkinicpio -p

And I’m good with the updated config?

No that’s not it the case is important here, always check manual for instant answer of what switch does what man mkinitcpio

I’m on Chromium “103.0.5060.114 (Official Build) Arch Linux (64-bit)” from the Repository. I tried playing video from there and Firefox 102.0.1 (repository) at the same time (simultaneously) and am not experiencing this. Pipewire 0.3.54-1

Different sources you mean apps or physically routed from/to different sources (Line out and USB speakers simultaneously)?

Got it!

mkinicpio -P
1 Like
journalctl --no-pager -p err -o cat -g 'wireplumber'

No, I only assumed that this issue might be related. In the meantime, I noticed that any sound played (including notifications) from chromium, stutters here.

Same problem here, firefox keeps crashing and ain’t removing my profile with all my setup and data.

I will keep looking for a different fix.

Seems to be dependent on the kernel version used. With 5.18 and 5.19, stuttering occurs, with 5.15, audio is OK.

I’m on 5.18.10, no problem. I wonder if changes within the kernel versions affect something within your hardware—do you have specialized hardware, a specific DAC maybe?

Not that I am aware of - it’s a simple Intel onboard sound solution:

$ inxi -A
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio
    driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM107 High Definition Audio [GeForce 940MX]
    driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.53-1-MANJARO running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.54 running: yes

EDIT: new build of pipewire-alsa package was just posted…

Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: AMD Navi 21/23 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-3: SteelSeries ApS Arctis 5 type: USB
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.18.10-1-MANJARO running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.54 running: yes

:man_shrugging:t4: FWIW it’s an ASUS Z390 mobo