Stuck at Black Screen After Installation on ROG Asus NUC 14 with NVIDIA RTX 4070 and Intel Arc Graphics

Device Info:

• Device: NUC 14
  • CPU: Intel Ultra 9 185H (22) @ 4.800GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Max-Q / Mobile, Intel Arc Graphics
  • Kernel: 6.9.5-1-MANJARO
  • DE: Plasma 6.0.5
  • WM: KWin
  • Installer ISO: Manjaro-kde-24.0.3-240702-linux69.iso

Issue: After successfully booting into the desktop using both open-source and proprietary drivers with the installer ISO mentioned above, I proceeded to install Manjaro. However, after each installation attempt, Manjaro gets stuck at a black screen immediately after the GRUB menu. The GRUB menu is the last visible screen.

Was able to plug the external SSD into another intel device with nvidia and intel graphics and it did boot well. Just wont load on NUC

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

• Attempted to chroot with a live CD to update and install the correct drivers, but the issue persists.
  • Moved the SSD to another device with different firmware (Intel graphics and a lower version of NVIDIA) and successfully booted into Manjaro.

Can someone please advise on what steps might be missing or what could be causing the issue with booting on my NUC 14? I appreciate any guidance or suggestions to resolve this problem.

Probably related to the nvidia and plymouth?

Here is how to just try disabling plymouth during boot (or remove completely)

For making them work together you would probably need something like

1 Like

After tapping e in grub menu and added line
plymouth.enable=0 disablehooks=plymouth when booting away from grub everything throws an error failed to start

The errors may be what was happening before, but were previously hidden.

What are they?

Some related information here:

guess new firmware is why i am getting the headache. The installation actually loads and boot properly on my Microsoft laptop studio but on the Asus NUC 14 no no

That looks like your fstab/cryptab is wrong somehow.
The swap partition fails, the encrypted volumes fail, well all partitions it seems, followed by a bunch of other fails like the kernel modules because virtually nothing can be accessed.

But if you say this is an external volume using the same addresses and it works on some machines but not others … what about BIOS options?

If you arent actively using RAID make sure to set disks to AHCI.

Some other checks might be (no) CSM, (no) Legacy (you are using an ESP so your machine should be set on UEFI), (no) FastBoot.

Fixed all above error with reinstalling the OS. Then edited grub with quiet off and below is the error i have been dealing with right from start i guess

Applied plymouth.enable=0 disablehooks=plymouth fix before boot but still the last two line in the above picture error message still pop out and wont pass that