Steam Games / Vulkan not running properly anymore

Intresting question would be also… did you changed anything around Manjaro?

I think a newer Experimental Proton Version was released 2 days ago… maybe your AMD GPU don’t like it?

Which Proton version are you using? Maybe switch it to another version?

I tried “Experimental” as well as versions 9.0, 8.0-5 and so on. No changes at all.

So you didnt download anything at all and it was just stopped working out of nowhere?

I know there are some Steam Version Updates hidden… and you only see the result after restarting Steam. Maybe there is a bug from this hidden steam update.

Otherwise… this could mean a hardware damage?

Can you test other 3D Gaming? Native Linux Game?

Yup, I did’nt even update via pacman -Syu or something. I noticed steam downloaded the newest proton beta. But 2 days ago, everything worked like a charm.

Okay, I tried other games: Northgard (which is also not Linux native) and The Sims Complete Collection (I run it via Lutris). Both started up and run normally. Diablo 2 Ressurected (also installed with Lutris) did not start because it failed to initialize my graphics device?
Puh, i’m so confused…

Add: I opened Lutris and the Settings for “Wine” - there are Errors saying “Vulkan is not installed or is not supported by your system, DXVK is not available”. How could that just change ?

pacman -Qs dxvk → no output

vulkaninfo --summary
ERROR: [../mesa-23.3.5/src/amd/vulkan/radv_physical_device.c:1740] Code 0 : Could not open device /dev/dri/renderD128: Permission denied (VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER)
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : setup_loader_term_phys_devs:  Failed to detect any valid GPUs in the current config
ERROR at /usr/src/debug/vulkan-tools/Vulkan-Tools-1.3.269/vulkaninfo/./vulkaninfo.h:237:vkEnumeratePhysicalDevices failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/  
intel_hasvk_icd.i686.json    intel_icd.i686.json    radeon_icd.i686.json
intel_hasvk_icd.x86_64.json  intel_icd.x86_64.json  radeon_icd.x86_64.json

Maybe there is some clue in these?

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

good.

bad.

So … uh , what did you do here ?

I might suggest checking some of the packages in general;

pacman -Qs 'amd|vulkan|vlk'
local/amd-ucode 20240115.9b6d0b08-2
    Microcode update image for AMD CPUs
local/lib32-vkd3d 1.10-1
    Direct3D 12 to Vulkan translation library By WineHQ
local/lib32-vulkan-icd-loader 1.3.276-1
    Vulkan Installable Client Driver (ICD) Loader (32-bit)
local/lib32-vulkan-intel 1:23.3.5-1
    Intel's Vulkan mesa driver (32-bit)
local/lib32-vulkan-radeon 1:23.3.5-1
    Radeon's Vulkan mesa driver (32-bit)
local/libteam 1.32-1
    Library for controlling team network device
local/mangohud 0.7.1-1
    A Vulkan overlay layer for monitoring FPS, temperatures, CPU/GPU load and more.
local/mhwd-amdgpu 19.1.0-1
    MHWD module-ids for amdgpu
local/spirv-tools 2023.5-1 (vulkan-devel)
    API and commands for processing SPIR-V modules
local/vkd3d 1.10-1
    Direct3D 12 to Vulkan translation library By WineHQ
local/vulkan-headers 1:1.3.276-1 (vulkan-devel)
    Vulkan header files
local/vulkan-icd-loader 1.3.276-1
    Vulkan Installable Client Driver (ICD) Loader
local/vulkan-intel 1:23.3.5-1
    Intel's Vulkan mesa driver
local/vulkan-radeon 1:23.3.5-1
    Radeon's Vulkan mesa driver
local/vulkan-tools 1.3.269-1 (vulkan-devel)
    Vulkan Utilities and Tools
local/xf86-video-amdgpu-git 23.0.0.r4.g4d7a9a6-1 (xorg-drivers-git)
    X.org amdgpu video driver (git version)

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

I tried installing the amdgpu-packages that are provided via AUR within the software center.

Regarding steam, I removed all games and steam itself, cleared caches, reinstalled.

I also dont get it, why installing blindly a random AMDGPU driver when everything was running… it makes it harder to identify the main issue.

Get everything back, to the state… where it was working.

Do you have a Timeshift snapshot?

I just thought maybe there was an incompatibility with an updated driver or so. But it seems like nothing changed by installing AMDGPU-Pro, video-linux was still in charge and i did not remove it. But i removed the AMDGPU stuff after it did not help.

If you mean amdgpu-pro (which you should not use anyways) … then yes, it does not appear in the package list. but as shown in the following quote, you still have amdgpu-git.
And none of this means ‘mhwd is still in control’ … we will revisit this below by force reinstalling the proper driver profile.

Probably not a good idea.

Like this - you probably dont want this.

sudo pacman -Syu xf86-video-amdgpu
sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-linux

(yes to replacement, reboot and check functions)

Yep, I have one. Not the latest, tbh, but maybe it will work getting back.

CSCS is more experienced than me… maybe try timeshift rollback later, if nothing helps.

Edit:
From my opinion, if absolute nothing is changed… its probably the hardware.

Temps, powerdraw (power supply), gpu power connector (i know the chances are low), did you or someone else touched the Tower Case, maybe a connector not 100% stable or your GPU isnt no longer 100 perfect in the PCI-E Slot? I hope no real damage… as i said, steam has silence/invisible launcher updates and can only be detected after booting again in Steam and you see the launcher boot window changed for few seconds but then… you can easy MISS THIS FEEDBACK.

When there are no autoupdates elsewhere, why shouldn’t your GPU run into issue, when nothing changed… besides are hardware problem?

sudo pacman -Syu xf86-video-amdgpu
sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-linux

Still not working :confused:

Whats not working, how?

what does

vulkaninfo --summary

show now ?

If I start a game with steam I still get the error CREATEDXGIFactory: FAILED

ERROR: [../mesa-23.3.5/src/amd/vulkan/radv_physical_device.c:1740] Code 0 : Could not open device /dev/dri/renderD128: Permission denied (VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER)
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : setup_loader_term_phys_devs:  Failed to detect any valid GPUs in the current config
ERROR at /usr/src/debug/vulkan-tools/Vulkan-Tools-1.3.269/vulkaninfo/./vulkaninfo.h:237:vkEnumeratePhysicalDevices failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I just had to install the amdgpu-experimental via pamac, reboot and it works now.

Just found out about this, but I don’t now if I should even try it.

I dont know how youve broken vulkan.
I do notice that you have vulkan-intel which you probably should not.

The package is just an ‘easy’ way to add a few boot options to make AMDGPU funcitonal on early GCN cards it would not otherwise be active for (sea islands, etc).
You are already using amdgpu.
That package would do nothing for you.

Extra thought:
Maybe some bad files/options in /etc/X11/* ?

@wildschweinmann Please…

I wish I knew.

How do I find out?

Something like

ls /etc/X11/*

Would list items.