[Stable Update] 2024-05-13 - Kernels, Plasma 6, Gnome 46, LxQT 2.0, Nvidia, Pacman

Not sure of a fix but all VPN profiles no longer work with Network Manager, either cli or gui. I see in the logs basically:

OpenSSL: error:0A0000086:SSL routines::certificate verify failed:
TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error
TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

This of course did work previous to the update as I was actively connected to the VPN during the upgrade. Upon reboot it would no longer connect to any

1 Like

That can happen, especially on a largely unmodified system.

The main reason for performing the update via TTY is that Plasma 5 is removed and replaced by Plasma 6; it’s best that not happen while Plasma 5 is actually still active - the potential for a borked system can increase dramatically.

Using this method is also recommended near the top of this thread, for the benefit of those who bothered to read it…

…along with other worthwhile suggestions.

2 Likes

completely borked my plasma. I am currently restoring from timeshift and borg. There need to be real instructions on how to update plasma. Honestly, i depend on several of the programs that plasma6 broke. Now it could have been me trying to fix plasma after the upgrade. So I am just restoring from yesterday and maybe having a cleaner upgrade. I was experiencing plasma crashes too. I actually use my desktop to make money. I wish it was baked a little more. Sorry i am having flashbacks to plasma 4 to 5 all over again. Also, you cannot remove plasma5 widgets after upgrading to plasma6. It looks like this is a completely disruptive upgrade requiring a new profile.

3 Likes

I updated two machines this morning. One was a laptop, Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 with an AMD Ryzen 7 5700U. The second was a MinisForum UM773 MiniPC with an AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS and AMD Radeon 680M. I had issues on both upgrades.

On my laptop, it appears it downloaded all the packages, but then just kicked me to a black screen with the KDE logo. On reboot I got an error that the boot/vmlinuz was not found. I had to boot my laptop into a live ISO and manjaro-choroot -a it. Once there I tried to resume/finish the update but then ran into an issue with some file conflicts and the error was failed to commit transaction (conflicting files). To resolve this, I cleared pacman caches then checked each file to see if there was a package associated with the files. There was not, so I removed them following this guide. After that I was able to resume and finish the update successfully.

My MiniPC update went smooth and downloaded and installed all the packages successfully. I gave it a reboot and it appeared to be fine (it is my work PC so it’s at the office and I’m remote today - so brave (or foolish) to attempt an update I know). But I was able to reboot and ssh into it post-upgrade so thought everything went smooth. Until I asked a co-worker to confirm it was on the login screen and he said it was not. It was stuck on the splash screen. I ended up removing plymouth as I found that was in the list of known issues above. Once plymouth was removed following this guide, I rebooted the PC and got to the login screen successfully.

So overall, wasn’t the best update experience, but it is the first time I have had any issues with an upgrade. I also understand this upgrade is pretty intensive so I’m not too devastated by the outcomes and experience.

3 Likes

Deleting the cache folder also helped me, the browser began to minimize again smoothly.

2 Likes

No, I didn’t miss that. When I updated that time, I did exactly what was suggested.

I was already up to date with this system. The errors may appear because as a developer I have also installed the java-src packages.
But the error definitely only occurred with today’s update. So something must have changed again.

:footprints:

archlinux-java status

Available Java environments:
java-11-openjdk
java-17-openjdk
java-20-graalvm
java-21-openjdk (default)
java-22-openjdk
java-22-openjdk-bin
java-23-openjdk
java-8-openjdk

1 Like

to add… there also needs to be a better install and clean up the plasma5 parts… i had both installed after the update. This will scare a lot of users. Now before you say i should have tested it, i only work in stable. ill be back after i restore almost 2TB of home data.

I have the exact same issue. How do i return all applications? They’re gone not just in the application launcher but everywhere, even inside system settings under the list of Default apps it doesn’t see anything. What should i do?

• UPDATE *

Ok, i’ve found the solution. Logout → mv ~/.cache ~/.cache_old → Login

4 Likes

Isn’t there a breaking change with mkinitcpio 38 with the new microcode hook (like on testing/unstable branches)? Or is it handled automatically here?

Copied from testing (2024-03-16):

Please note that the mkinitcpio flag --microcode , and the microcode option in the preset files, has been deprecated in favour of a new microcode hook. This also allows you to drop the microcode initrd lines from your boot configuration as they are now packed together with the main initramfs image.

TLDR you should add microcode hook to your mkinitcpio config and regenerate the presets if they contain --microcode hook.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Hypnotix stopped working

I am also having the same issue when changing the volume

Im sorry i cant read through all the thread. I did the update, i blew my OS away.

No widgets, icons, no start menu, no trackpad setting and i cant even tap the pad to press the left button, all my hand built widgets are broken, my pyqt5 python app that i built are broken, firefox just will not load with any profile even a new one, and so much more.

I have restored to a 4 month drive image, but what now? I will have to update at some point?

Well, you could start here (if you use KDE):

Python-related:

My post (earlier in the thread) might also be useful:

• Manjaro Update - If not using KDE, just take the main points into consideration.

All of this (and more) is conveniently located in this current thread.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Thread is here so that we don’t tell 500 users the same thing over and over again.

3 Likes

My network manager is not starting and i cant open a terminal. Running mate. How can i get to a terminal to discover the problem with network manager? Any help greatly appreciated.

On the stable branch, microcode was not added to the hooks. I think, this is still something one has to do it manually, as this is the recommended version as shown in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew. For those that haven’t done it and are lost with the explanation, I created a short video explaining that:

Got a terminal with ctrl-alt-f2. If i try to open just about anything, i get an error while loading shared libraries: libunistring.so.2: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory. Have verified that current libunistring is 5.1.0. How can i fix this?

thx, i shall try to read through, im just so busy with family in hospital, was in middle of writing a letter to hospital, i just can be dealing with all this.

i have a backup of my home, can i do a full fresh install and restore my home ? but what about all the widgets and trackpad that does not work or have any settings etc?

Plasma 6 works fine for me though … well OK i followed the hints to reset everything to default and then reapplied the few changes i made like background and window decoration.

1 Like

Read the first post. Thought “well, python isn’t a concern”. Updated while logged in. Broke KDE.

After deleting .cache the system is at least usable again. Except keyboard shortcuts I didn’t have many customizations.

I get that my system is my responsibility. Yet a hint about such not-so-minor sidenotes seems not like asking for too much.

3 Likes