[Stable Update] 2024-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, VirtualBox, Calamares, ROCm, Firefox, Thunderbird

No unforeseen problems, thanks to the info in this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

Well you have just un-hidden it, why do you want to hide it. This is just the system booting and is actually very nice for diagnostic, if something goes red or stops for a couple of seconds you will know there is something wrong and investigate further after booting.
The purpose of the splash and plymouth is exactly to hide the log behind some animation so that ex windows users do not freak out :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are a lot of warnings like the ones below, and the update failed as a result. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Warning: npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/license already exists in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/license.old
Warning: npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/package.json already exists in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/package.json.old
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Error: Failed to commit transaction: transaction not prepared

Found recommendations to execute sudo pacman -S npm --overwrite='*' here npm update error in arch · Issue #636 · nodesource/distributions · GitHub. Is this correct?

yes, sudo pacman -S npm --overwrite='*' fixed it

1 Like

If you wish, but as @Teo said, it’s useful for diagnostics … and AFAIK doesn’t affect start-up time.

This is what confused me about @robbie-hatley 's post.

1 Like

if might be insufficient by itself and i won’t bother further with it:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Silent_boot
Thanks
And @Teo

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

~/.profile no longer sourced

Hi everyone!

I’m finishing the update using pacdiff. All files done except the last one: polkit-1.pacsave. I’ve read the known issues section but still confused since I don’t remember I’ve modified polkit-1 file before. Is it safe to just remove polkit-1.pacsave file as pacdiff suggests?

2 posts were split to a new topic: I got a new nvidia error in journal after the update

Well after i updated again with my PC now, i saw also the removal from this package, it was shown in the pamac GUI.

But the additional information about known issues and solution, was a little confusing for me.

Because i thought i had to manually deal with the replacement from bashrc-manjaro… i think it would be better if it not mentionend under know issues, when everything dealed automatically anyways.

A post was merged into an existing topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

Some people had modified their /etc/bash.bashrc, and in that case, they needed to know that those modifications were going to disappear.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Libfluidsynth_plugin.so exists in filesystem

Have you tried Ctrl+Alt+F3 already as TTY1 now contains the last text outrput, TTY2 your current GUI and TTY3 and following are now the text consoles…

:grin:

Solution updated with #2. Thanks for letting us know!
:+1:

P.S. Don’t forget to edit your /etc/skel/.bashrc file too!

Indeed: /etc/.bash.bashrc is the system-wide one, so if you have multiple users, that’s the one to change so @robbie-hatley probably has a multi-user system just like mine…

Help, help, my system is showing me the boot log!!! :upside_down_face:

Thank you for the plymouth modification in this update. Everything went smoothly,
except:

after running pacdiff -s after the update and overwriting /etc/passwd with the pacnew, I could not use sudo anymore, nor log into gui or tty. I noticed my old one was in the first line with /bin/bash.
I had to get the Timeshifted file and copy it back to restore my system’s functionality! (copied the /etc/passwd and /etc/passwd- files back)
Before that I tried modifying the new one to /bin/bash in the first line but that didn’t work.
Noticed there is also the /etc/passwd- file that I didn’t modifly…

How should I go about it now? I don’t want to miss the advantages of the pacnew in the future.

Without my old config I can’t login …

Also

^ I got the same warnings while upgrading. How should I go about it? Change the permissions or ignore the warnings?