[Stable Update] 2023-06-04 - Kernels, Gnome 44.1, Plasma 5.27.5, Python 3.11, Toolchain, Firefox

I still get occasional restarts and artifacts, gnome-session coredumps (with tracelogs like in my original post), my entire desktop restarting, forgetting dark mode and some windows repositioning themselves.

Installing the upgraded 6.3 kernel I’m using (and nvidia drivers) didn’t help.

Unable to install update. Get message: mutter43<.>mutter are conflicting.

Okay, just tried doing the update on my XFCE box… I didn’t even get to see if there were any issues because nothing installed and I just got this… sorry if I’m missing something obvious, its 4am lol.

conflicting files:
- gcc12: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgcc_s.so already exists in filesystem (owned by gcc10-libs)
- gcc12: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 already exists in filesystem (owned by gcc10-libs)

I also just scrolled through 100+ comments and didn’t see anyone else with this issue

Do you need mutter43? Run pacman -Rc mutter to see what is depending on this package. You don’t need to actually remove anything, you can just cancel after you see what would be removed. You have to clarify why do you have mutter43 package installed and if you still need it.

That it’s telling you that you have gcc10-libs package (from AUR) installed and some files of that package are in conflict with the new package gcc12. You have to clarify what do you want to do with your system. Why do you have gcc10-libs installed?

1 Like

Might be off topic but I wanted to mention “Ultima Thule” was the name of a daguerreotype (one of the first photographs) of Edgar Allan Poe. Poe wrote a poem called Dreamland. The first paragraph is…

By a route obscure and lonely,
    Haunted by ill angels only,
    Where an Eidolon, named NIGHT,
    On a black throne reigns upright,
    I have reached these lands but newly
    From an ultimate dim Thule --
    From a wild weird clime that lieth, sublime,
          Out of SPACE -- out of TIME.
5 Likes

Will pamac build (re)build and mark those packages as explicitly installed?
I mean, pamac install will do that, unless --as-deps or --as-explicit options are passed. I’m unsure about pamac build. And, yes, I’ve checked the pamac(8) manpage, and couldn’t find an answer that.

My concern is about AUR packages that were installed as dependencies from other AUR packages. Those should stay marked as dependencies.

Thanks for the quick reply! I’m always experimenting and I have several VMs, along with many other things. Perhaps it’s an orphan of something I installed previously? I get this:

$ pacman -Qi gcc10-libs
Name            : gcc10-libs
Version         : 1:10.3.0-2
Description     : Runtime libraries shipped by GCC (Version 10)
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://gcc.gnu.org
Licenses        : GPL  LGPL  FDL  custom
Groups          : None
Provides        : libgfortran.so=5-64  libubsan.so=1-64  libasan.so=6-64  libtsan.so=0-64  liblsan.so=0-64
Depends On      : glibc
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : gcc10
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 60.21 MiB
Packager        : Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Thu 02 Dec 2021 08:45:59 PM EST
Install Date    : Wed 02 Mar 2022 02:51:26 AM EST
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

It says that it’s a dependency of gcc10 (of course :slight_smile: ). If you have pactree installed you can find out what packages ultimately depend on gcc10-libs with:

pactree -r gcc10-libs

You can also try to remove the package and see what would be remove with it:

pacman -Rc gcc10-libs

(No need to actually remove anything. Just cancel when you see the list of packages to be removed)

2 Likes

Thanks! pactree just lists gcc10 and pacman gives me…

# pacman -Rc gcc10-libs
checking dependencies...

Packages (2) gcc10-1:10.3.0-1  gcc10-libs-1:10.3.0-2

Total Removed Size:  184.06 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] 

So, I’m gonna try to remove it since it looks like an orphan! I’ll edit this comment with my results in a minute.

UPDATE: Well, the updates all happened, then it said to restart. Now my computer won’t start and just says:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

I’m typing this on my laptop. it’s 5am here so I think I’m gonna get some sleep and deal with this in the morning. Any tips are appreciated and I’ll try them when I wake up. Thanks.

I was unable to update because of conflict of python311 against python, which aparently at this time is python3.11.

I had python311 installed before by pacman. It was never any problem, since I installed it (just after official 3.11 release). This update it gives me:

failed to commit transaction
conflicting files:
- python: /usr/bin/2to3-3.11 already exists in filesystem (owned by python311)
- python: /usr/bin/idle3.11 already exists in filesystem (owned by python311)
- python /usr/bin/pydoc3.11 already exists in filesystem (owned by python311)

and about 200 lines like that.

Seems uninstalling python311 and ignoring all the broken dependency warning makes the update going without problems. Cannot update script handle such a trivial “update” by itself? I believe it would require marking python311 as conflicting package against python.

no change :grinning: for me after yesterday “pamac build”

pacman -Qi python-progress
Name            : python-progress
Packager        : Unknown Packager
Build Date      : Sun Jun 4 08:31:15 2023
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package

At you to test for only one aur package …

yay -S python-progress --asdeps
pamac build python-progress
pacman -Qi python-progress

Install Reason : no change after :ok_hand:

1 Like

Its not trivial … you manually installed python311 as a foreign package and now you need to deal with the dependencies problem.
Users would normally have python and it would be upgraded normally.
python311 however is something else … it doesnt exist in the repos or the aur.

If you have many many lines of ‘exists on filesystem’ related to python … that may also indicate you at some point abused pip by doing ... sudo pip ....

Can you open a console login with ALT+F2 (or CTRL+ALT+F2)? If you can, then check the logs for problems:

journalctl -b

(scroll down to see all logs. Press q to quit)

1 Like

Before this update python311 was a regular AUR package.

No, I did not.

AUR is not directly connected to or supported by manjaro.

That package is third party and its existence has nothing to do with this update.

Unless you have the hardware that needs those firmware modules, don’t worry.
I deleted a load of firmware that I don’t need and I see those messages every time my kernels are rebuilt, but it doesn’t cause any problems.

1 Like

This problem from the previous update disappeared by itself with the current update. It is the second time that this problem appears with an update, and disappears with the next one.

Gnome Google Account not yet working
Please fix it!!

I pushed some more extramodules to the update. seems they got missed when the kernels got updated. Affected kernels were 5.4 and 5.15 series.

1 Like