[Stable Update] 2022-12-20 - Kernels, XFCE 4.18, KDE Frameworks, Kde Gear, Mesa, Plasma-Mobile, Thunderbird, Firefox

I’m on KDE/Plasma, kernel 5.15 LTS, pipewire using HDMI to my Denon receiver. Each time I turn off my monitor, my display becomes crippled (becomes 1920x1080i @60Hz instead of the default 1920x1080 @60Hz) and my sound doesn’t work until the next reboot.

Up to the previous update I could have resolved this without a reboot, by choosing different display settings (changing the refresh rate > Apply) then I would select 60Hz and the right resolution would be active again and my display would work normally again. Then I went to my Audio Devices settings and selected my HDMI output and the sound would be restored. With this update I can’t restore my sound with the “trick” above.

Also, with each boot I keep getting reminders that there is new kernel available asking me to update it, but I want to stick with the LTS. Is there any good reason I would want to update to 6?

Same for me after this update and reboot.
What worked this time is :

• open Task Manager and enter firefox in selection area
  • kill the FF process with highest PID number
  • possibly repeat on the second one
  • FF opens with all the tabs …
1 Like

This solved it: [HowTo] Solve Keyring Related Issues in Manjaro

@philm Not a trolling question or anything - I’m genuinely asking. For dbus-x11, I’m confused when you say it’s not needed. A pacman -Qi dbus-x11 says it’s required for systemd, cups, xorg-server, wpa_supplicant, bluez, and other things.

I would say those are generically needed for many, but I’m questioning if I’m missing something that makes dbus-x11 not needed? Did some new package replace it I should be moving to? This is on the Cinnamon community edition btw.

Don’t know if this will work for you but I had the same thing happen to me. After I sudo pacman -Syu’d and rebooted I got “failed to mount /boot/efi” on startup and I couldn’t boot with any kernel other than 5.15 LTS.

When I loaded the 5.15 LTS I still had all the packages to update, even though that wouldn’t let me boot on the other kernel I did the sudo pacman -Syu on the LTS since I had backups. After rebooting it then allowed me to login on all the kernels.

I’m on the KDE Plasma version and have a GTX 1650 and i3-10100F.

1 Like

Thnx for your help…just tried it…

Meanewhile I got a new behavior :grinning:
I created a new user to check if its my persona config, logged in with it. Same problem.
Logged in with my user, same problem.
Killed all firefox processes…
Started firefox from the konsole, to test youir workaround :wink:
then got this new error:

[GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: no supported VAAPI profile found.                        ✔ 
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.

and a dialog showed up, where i could choose to reset firefox or continue…
i choosed continue and firefox showed up as usual…strange…

Actually i can start firefox from the konsole without problems.
When i try to start by the clicking on the icon (witch starts firejail /usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u as i recognized ), i have to use your workaround.

Update: without firejail, it’s seems to run fine now…

Looks like a partial update to me. Check installed shotwell package:

$ pacman -Qi shotwell
Version         : 2:0.30.17-3
Build Date      : So 18 Dez 2022 22:33:42 CET

Since the update, firefox does not show a window at all. No error messages if started from a terminal and several firefox processes are running, but there is no browser.

CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor
GPU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4250] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Seems OK on another all-Intel machine

Added: Downgrading to the previous version of ff does allow me to start it successfully.

Install Mesa from Arch Linux:

Has anyone else had an issue with their dkms modules? I’ve been scratching my head since updating. I’ve rebuilt and reinstalled them just in case, but always get the same problem:

$ dkms status
v4l2loopback/0.12.7, 5.15.84-1-MANJARO, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)

This results in the module not being available.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is using the v4l2loopback-dkms package in the community repo.

Update: Fired up a fresh VM with the Manjaro 21.3.7 Gnome Edition ISO, updated it, and then isntalled the v4l2loopback-dkms package and had the same outcome. More investigating.

Update 2: The dkms package was updated this round 3.0.8-1 => 3.0.9-1, but not seeing any changes that would cause my issue…except the removal of this patch perhaps?

Update 3: Downgrading the dkms package back to 3.0.8-1 seems to fix the issue, though not ideal.

Great!
Manjaro-Release 22.0.0-1.
How can find the New Install ISOs on this Base for New Installations over the Holidays or so?
From the Homepage I can download 21.x

Had some temporary weirdness after initial reboot where the mouse cursor in KDE would not interact with any part of a window on the lower third of the screen. Rebooting again seems to have fixed it.

The very next line in the wiki post states

firefox stable is even more broken.
Instead of getting stuck and not outputting anything it now exits with exit code 1 without outputting anything!
Will have to stick to ESR :confused:

Perhaps this help you a little bit.

Those packages require dbus, not dbus-x11 specifically. Since dbus-x11 provides dbus, both packages will show the same info like you’re seeing.

Tip: If you don’t know what the purpose of dbus-x11 was, you definitely don’t need it and should replace it with dbus. :wink:

After upgrading, Emacs render some font faces crappy, like anti-alias off.

Pay attention to the 3 headings and 2 font faces outlined in red.

variable-pitch face is set to Iosevka Etoile font.
fixed-pitch-serif face is set to Iosevka Slab font.
These two fonts are rendered smooth in other apps (KDE Font Mangement, LibreOffice, …).

In this upgrading, Emacs is not touched. These two font packages ttc-iosevka-etoile and ttc-iosevka-slab was refreshed from 16.5.0-1 to 16.8.0-1. But rollback doesn’t resolve this problem.

I have no idea which upgraded packages caused this.

UPDATED:

It’s indeed the fault of font. Rollback the two font packages can bring smooth back, after reboot (maybe re-login can take effect too)!

1 Like

Update to 5.15.84-1 was straightforward.

Noticed that Thunar file manager now always opens to the same larger width regardless of size adjustment the last time it was used. So it doesn’t remember size properties from last time it was used.

Upgraded kernel to 6.0.14-1.

Thunar file manager still opens to a default width.

Kernel 6.1.0 provided with this update is KO on a haswell laptop (CPU: quad core Intel Core i7-4750HQ with integrated graphics). Systems regularly freezes a few seconds after launching the desktop environment.

Kernel 6.0.14 is OK.

1 Like

Hi,

Since two weeks, I can’t make any update due to a wrong key or something like that :

`nastia@nastia ~]$ sudo rm -r /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/*
[sudo] Mot de passe de nastia : 
[nastia@nastia ~]$ sudo pacman-key --init
gpg: /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/trustdb.gpg : base de confiance créée
gpg: aucune clef de confiance ultime n'a été trouvée
==> Generating pacman master key. This may take some time.
gpg: Generating pacman keyring master key...
gpg: répertoire « /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/openpgp-revocs.d » créé
gpg: revocation certificate stored as '/etc/pacman.d/gnupg/openpgp-revocs.d/50097691271F35F3B1BE2D3A703DB923E96FF687.rev'
gpg: Done
==> Mise à jour de la base de données de confiance…
gpg: marginals needed: 3  completes needed: 1  trust model: pgp
gpg: profondeur : 0  valables :   1  signées :   0
     confiance : 0 i., 0 n.d., 0 j., 0 m., 0 t., 1 u.
[nastia@nastia ~]$ sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronisation des bases de données de paquets…
 core                  159,8 KiB   159 KiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 extra                1835,0 KiB  2,60 MiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 community               7,5 MiB  7,11 MiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 multilib              167,0 KiB  1000 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Some packages should be upgraded first...
résolution des dépendances…
recherche des conflits entre paquets…

Paquets (1) archlinux-keyring-20221213-1

Taille totale du téléchargement :  1,12 MiB
Taille totale installée :          1,59 MiB
Taille de mise à jour nette :      0,01 MiB

:: Procéder à l’installation ? [O/n] o
:: Récupération des paquets…
 archlinux-keyrin...  1144,7 KiB  4,04 MiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
(1/1) vérification des clés dans le trousseau      [######################] 100%
téléchargement des clés requises…
:: Importer la clé PGP 6D42BDD116E0068F, « Christian Hesse <eworm@archlinux.org> » ? [O/n] o
(1/1) vérification de l’intégrité des paquets      [######################] 100%
erreur : archlinux-keyring : la signature de « Christian Hesse <eworm@archlinux.org> » est de confiance inconnue
:: Le fichier /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221213-1-any.pkg.tar.zst est corrompu (paquet non valide ou corrompu (signature PGP)).
Voulez-vous le supprimer ? [O/n] `

As you can read it the key of Christian Hesse cause trouble :
:

:: Importer la clé PGP 6D42BDD116E0068F, « Christian Hesse [eworm@archlinux.org](mailto:eworm@archlinux.org) » ? [O/n] o
(1/1) vérification de l’intégrité des paquets [######################] 100%
*erreur : archlinux-keyring : la signature de « Christian Hesse [eworm@archlinux.org](mailto:eworm@archlinux.org) » est de confiance inconnue*

An this package seems to be corrupted

:: Le fichier /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221213-1-any.pkg.tar.zst est corrompu (paquet non valide ou corrompu (signature PGP)).*

I am fighting since 15 days already without any results.

Any help please.

Regards