[Stable Update] 2022-12-06 - Kernels, Mesa, Plasma, Cinnamon, Nvidia, LibreOffice, Pipewire, Virtualbox

This update seems to have seriously messed up multi-monitor support with my laptop. None of the modes which utilize multiple screen at the same time are working correctly anymore. Before the update everything was working as expected.

If you “unify” it will now use separate resolutions for each screen leading to the bigger one only showing a part of the slower screen since the resolution chosen is lower than the one on the smaller one. Or it has a much bigger resolution and it will show the other screen as a smaller part. They now have different resolutions which was never the case before and you need to try to mess around until you find something that works. Before it would select a resolution both screen can work with.

If you use “extend” the “left” and “right” doesn’t seem to be honored anymore.

Also most of the time when you “extend” you won’t be able to access the external desktop with the mouse anymore.

Also the primary display selection appears to be messed up since the display selection dialog now appears on the external display although the built-in one is the primary. So you cannot switch the modes anymore.

Also kscreen_osd_service is crashing even more often now.

Here’s the backtrace:

#0  0x00007fb3cfd426ff in QWindow::setVisible (this=<optimized out>, visible=false)
    at kernel/qwindow.cpp:630
#1  0x00007fb3cf8bda51 in QtPrivate::QSlotObjectBase::call (a=<optimized out>, r=<optimized out>, 
    this=<optimized out>, this=<optimized out>, r=<optimized out>, a=<optimized out>)
    at ../../include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qobjectdefs_impl.h:398
#2  doActivate<false> (sender=0x5613f5a58200, signal_index=0, argv=0x7ffdba3d4db0)
    at kernel/qobject.cpp:3919
#3  0x00007fb3cf8bddf4 in QObject::destroyed (this=<optimized out>, _t1=<optimized out>)
    at .moc/moc_qobject.cpp:219
#4  0x00007fb3cf8b43ac in QObject::~QObject (this=<optimized out>, this=<optimized out>)
    at kernel/qobject.cpp:1010
#5  0x00007fb3d11d7c2a in KScreen::Output::~Output (this=<optimized out>, this=<optimized out>)
    at /usr/src/debug/libkscreen/libkscreen-5.26.4/src/output.cpp:176
#6  QtSharedPointer::CustomDeleter<KScreen::Output, QtSharedPointer::NormalDeleter>::execute (
    this=<optimized out>) at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:187
#7  QtSharedPointer::ExternalRefCountWithCustomDeleter<KScreen::Output, QtSharedPointer::NormalDeleter>::deleter (self=<optimized out>) at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:205
#8  0x00005613f411a956 in QtSharedPointer::ExternalRefCountData::destroy (this=0x5613f5a5b310)
    at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:149
#9  QSharedPointer<KScreen::Config>::deref (dd=0x5613f5a5b310)
    at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:458
#10 QSharedPointer<KScreen::Output>::deref (dd=<optimized out>, dd=<optimized out>)
    at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:454
#11 QSharedPointer<KScreen::Output>::deref (this=<optimized out>, this=<optimized out>)
    at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:453
#12 QSharedPointer<KScreen::Output>::~QSharedPointer (this=<optimized out>, this=<optimized out>)
    at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:310
#13 KScreen::Osd::~Osd (this=<optimized out>, this=<optimized out>)
    at /usr/src/debug/kscreen/kscreen-5.26.4/osd/osd.cpp:40
#14 0x00005613f411a9e5 in KScreen::Osd::~Osd (this=<optimized out>, this=<optimized out>)
    at /usr/src/debug/kscreen/kscreen-5.26.4/osd/osd.cpp:38
#15 qDeleteAll<QMap<QString, KScreen::Osd*>::const_iterator> (end=..., begin=...)
    at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qalgorithms.h:320
#16 qDeleteAll<QMap<QString, KScreen::Osd*> > (c=...) at /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qalgorithms.h:328
#17 KScreen::OsdManager::quit (this=0x7ffdba3d53a0)
    at /usr/src/debug/kscreen/kscreen-5.26.4/osd/osdmanager.cpp:49
#18 0x00007fb3cf8b0be0 in QObject::event (this=0x7ffdba3d53a0, e=0x7fb3c0001d80)
    at kernel/qobject.cpp:1347
#19 0x00007fb3cf88cf98 in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal2 (receiver=0x7ffdba3d53a0, 
    event=0x7fb3c0001d80) at kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp:1064
#20 0x00007fb3cf88daa3 in QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendPostedEvents (receiver=0x0, event_type=0, 
    data=0x5613f58cd100) at kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp:1821
#21 0x00007fb3cf8d3e68 in postEventSourceDispatch (s=0x5613f58d5e90)
    at kernel/qeventdispatcher_glib.cpp:277
#22 0x00007fb3cdf1687b in g_main_dispatch (context=0x7fb3c4005010) at ../glib/glib/gmain.c:3444
#23 g_main_context_dispatch (context=0x7fb3c4005010) at ../glib/glib/gmain.c:4162
#24 0x00007fb3cdf6d299 in g_main_context_iterate.constprop.0 (context=0x7fb3c4005010, block=1, 
    dispatch=1, self=<optimized out>) at ../glib/glib/gmain.c:4238
#25 0x00007fb3cdf15132 in g_main_context_iteration (context=0x7fb3c4005010, may_block=1)
    at ../glib/glib/gmain.c:4303
#26 0x00007fb3cf8d7c4c in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents (this=0x5613f5900140, flags=...)
    at kernel/qeventdispatcher_glib.cpp:423
#27 0x00007fb3cf88573c in QEventLoop::exec (this=0x7ffdba3d5300, flags=...)
    at ../../include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qflags.h:69
#28 0x00007fb3cf890269 in QCoreApplication::exec ()
    at ../../include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qflags.h:121
#29 0x00007fb3cfd3a112 in QGuiApplication::exec () at kernel/qguiapplication.cpp:1870
#30 0x00005613f41154db in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>)
    at /usr/src/debug/kscreen/kscreen-5.26.4/osd/main.cpp:17

Maybe AUR package maintained by someone from Manjaro “community” team, that contains unrestricted mesa libva driver will do the trick? AFAIK it can contain precompiled binary.

The Arch extra package already accomplishes this. It cannot be added to the AUR.

When submitting a package to the AUR, observe the following rules:

• The submitted PKGBUILDs must not build applications already in any of the official binary repositories under any circumstances. Check the official package database for the package. If any version of it exists, do not submit the package.

AUR submission guidelines - ArchWiki

A post was merged into an existing topic: Does Manjaro’s existence as an enterprise affect codec support?

Since the update, my desktop restarts after each shutdown.

It does not seem to be a hardware issue as it stays shutdown if I shut it down with a long press on the power button while it is rebooting.

I have tried shutting down from sddm, KDE and a terminal. I also tried changing kernels.

I have no idea how to debug this or gather useful information.

Can we install packages from the Arch extra repo on Manjaro?

Yes, in fact this is what I did. But it has to be downloaded and updated manually (unlike AUR).

Mesa libva version 22.3 from Arch repo with mesa 22.2 from Manjaro repo:

vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 22.3.0 for AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (navi21, LLVM 14.0.6, DRM 3.48, 6.0.11-1-MANJARO)

In fact, I’ve used packages from arch repo manually many times over my 9yr+ experience with Manjaro and never had any problems.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Some (gtk?) programs have wrong color theme on i3 after recent update

Not seeing the issue here. Any specific setup or theme?

In response to your question, there’s this…

1 Like

Yes, you can, but at your own risk only. Doing so is not supported, and if it breaks your system, then you get to keep all the pieces. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot
Had the same issue with audio crashing. Kernel update fixed it

hm, openshot does not use x264 or x265… so it has no hardware acceleration :confused:

I have now also thought about whether this is a good idea to remove the hardware acceleration from Mesa. Since many content creators require this, I think you should provide a way to enable this feature whether it is via x264 or x265.

3 Likes

I’m running Manjaro Plasma on an Intel / NVIDIA system.

After the updates and rebooting I noticed Flameshot wasn’t running in the background as it should. Clicking the shortcut in the application launcher did absolutely nothing, but running the Exec command from its .desktop file in a terminal gave the following error:

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=/app/bin/flameshot org.flameshot.Flameshot

qt.glx: qglx_findConfig: Failed to finding matching FBConfig for QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
qt.glx: qglx_findConfig: Failed to finding matching FBConfig for QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
Could not initialize GLX

This was fixed by manually running flatpak upgrade and waiting for it to remove, update, and install various packages - some of which I’m sure I saw included in the system updates, but I may be mistaken on this.

Updated & tested various of my RDP connections
It is as I expected.
Some RDP connections still work.
But those to my company (RDS Gateway, for which I had to install H264 package) doesn’t work any longer.
Since I have no access to their error logs & configs I’m stuck.

Edit/update: after reinstalling openh264 I succeded to connect again

So how do I go about doing this?

After last update the interface start working with visible reduced performance (low fps, jerky windows drawings).
I use XFCE with picom compositor on an old AMD FX-8350 with integrated AMD ATI Radeon 3000., kernel: 6.0.11-1-MANJARO, and video-linux drivers

To those using Microsoft’s ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server®, this update breaks the driver, most likely because of the upgrade to OpenSSL 3.0, as is known for MacOS, described here: Known issues for the ODBC driver on Linux and macOS - ODBC Driver for SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

It does not work even after installing openssl-1.1 and lib32-openssl-1.1. It fails with an error SSL Provider [error:0A0C0103:SSL routines::internal error]

I don’t think this is really a Manjaro issue, more of a problem with Microsoft’s driver. Microsoft suggests to symlink the OpenSSL binary to the 1.1 version, which suggest that their driver is still “looking for that”. Just wanted to let the community know.

EDIT: now I am confused, as apparently the driver does support OpenSSL 3.0, as stated here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sql-server-blog/odbc-driver-18-0-for-sql-server-released/ba-p/3169228. So, I don’t know what the issue really is.

If it’s an AUR package, have you tried rebuilding it?

Latest update broke some chrome based applications that I use for work (StorageExplorer and AzureDataStudio).

To make them work, I had to disable GPU Acceleration using --disable-gpu from the cli.

I assume it has something to do with the new Nvidia driver and CEF versions that those apps use. Chrome based browsers work without problem.

Error log example:

(main:813200) <ERRO> UNHANDLED PROMISE REJECTION in main process:
  Error: GPU access not allowed. Reason: GPU process crashed too many times with SwiftShader.
(node:807364) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: GPU access not allowed. Reason: GPU process crashed too many times with SwiftShader.
    at App.gpuProcessCrashHandler (/opt/StorageExplorer/resources/app/out/app/index.js:173:38)
    at App.emit (node:events:527:28)
    at App.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:229:1206)
    at App.emit (node:events:527:28)
(Use `StorageExplorerExe --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:807364) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 9)