[Stable Update] 2022-02-05 - Kernels, LibreOffice, KDE Gear, Nvidia, Calamares, VirtualBox, Pipewire, Mesa, Systemd

So, this stable update wasn’t so stable for me. After wasting my weekend narrowing down to the faulty packages with a manual binary search (and entering my 16 character crypt password every reboot and timeshift restore), I have identified the culprits.

I am using Manjaro Cinnamon (Community) and the broken packages are libwacom and muffin.

When I install libwacom, LightDM will fail to respond to keyboard, mouse, touchpad, and trackpoint input. I have added it to the ‘Ignore’ list in Pamac settings.

When I install the latest muffin, upon logging in, the wallpaper is black, no panels are shown, and the desktop environment seems to have not started. My startup applications do run however. Additionally, shortcuts (to open the terminal for example) do not work.

Another issue, the culprit of which I was unable to identify, is when opening Display in System Settings, when I move my second monitor to be vertically adjacent to the primary laptop screen, and then click “Apply”, I get the following message indicating something with the settings manager’s dbus communication is borked.

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.cinnamon.SettingsDaemon.XRANDR_2 was not provided by any .service files

I’m a little annoyed at all of this today, I had software to write, and plans tomorrow that I’d rather not attend. :sweat_smile:

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix the monitor issue, and any idea how I could report the problems with muffin and libwacom?

I had the conflict with jack2 and pipewire-jack too. Pacaur or pamac wouldn’t let me proceed, neither uninstall jack2 because of dependencies, so I forcibly uninstalled it:

sudo pacman -Rdd jack2

Then I installed pipewire-jack, lib32-pipewire-jack, and run the upgrade.

After the upgrade, I ran

sudo pacman -S manjaro-pipewire plasma

once again.

But I got some issued. I use SMPlayer (based on mpv) as my media player, and it won’t play anything anymore. It shows the following:

/usr/bin/mpv --no-config --no-quiet --terminal --no-msg-color --input-ipc-server=/tmp/smplayer-mpv-b13 --msg-level=ffmpeg/demuxer=error --video-rotate=no --no-fs --vd-lavc-threads=4 --hwdec=auto --sub-auto=fuzzy --vo=gpu, --gpu-context=x11egl --no-input-default-bindings --input-vo-keyboard=no --no-input-cursor --cursor-autohide=no --no-keepaspect --wid=4 --monitorpixelaspect=1 --osd-level=1 --osd-scale=1 --osd-bar-align-y=0.6 --sub-ass --embeddedfonts --sub-ass-line-spacing=0 --sub-scale=1 --sub-codepage=ISO-8859-1 --vid=1 --sub-pos=99 --volume=101 --cache=auto --screenshot-template=cap_%F_%p_%02n --screenshot-format=jpg --screenshot-directory=/home/alpha/Pictures/smplayer_screenshots --audio-pitch-correction=yes --volume-max=110 --term-playing-msg=MPV_VERSION=${=mpv-version:}
INFO_VIDEO_WIDTH=${=width}
INFO_VIDEO_HEIGHT=${=height}
INFO_VIDEO_ASPECT=${=video-params/aspect}
INFO_VIDEO_FPS=${=container-fps:${=fps}}
INFO_VIDEO_FORMAT=${=video-format}
INFO_VIDEO_CODEC=${=video-codec}
INFO_DEMUX_ROTATION=${=track-list/0/demux-rotation}
INFO_AUDIO_FORMAT=${=audio-codec-name}
INFO_AUDIO_CODEC=${=audio-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_RATE=${=audio-params/samplerate}
INFO_AUDIO_NCH=${=audio-params/channel-count}
INFO_LENGTH=${=duration:${=length}}
INFO_DEMUXER=${=current-demuxer:${=demuxer}}
INFO_SEEKABLE=${=seekable}
INFO_TITLES=${=disc-titles}
INFO_CHAPTERS=${=chapters}
INFO_TRACKS_COUNT=${=track-list/count}
METADATA_TITLE=${metadata/by-key/title:}
METADATA_ARTIST=${metadata/by-key/artist:}
METADATA_ALBUM=${metadata/by-key/album:}
METADATA_GENRE=${metadata/by-key/genre:}
METADATA_DATE=${metadata/by-key/date:}
METADATA_TRACK=${metadata/by-key/track:}
METADATA_COPYRIGHT=${metadata/by-key/copyright:}
INFO_MEDIA_TITLE=${=media-title:}
INFO_STREAM_PATH=${stream-path}
 --audio-client-name=SMPlayer --term-status-msg=STATUS: ${=time-pos} / ${=duration:${=length:0}} P: ${=pause} B: ${=paused-for-cache} I: ${=core-idle} VB: ${=video-bitrate:0} AB: ${=audio-bitrate:0} /home/alpha/Downloads/UT2003 - - s1mple --MP3CTIGktnA.mp4

(+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 720x480 29.970fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 (*) (aac 2ch 44100Hz)
[vo/gpu/x11] X11 error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 4, serial: 13
[vo/gpu/x11] Error code: 9, request code: e, minor code: 0
[vo/gpu/x11] X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 4, serial: 14
[vo/gpu/x11] Error code: 3, request code: 28, minor code: 0
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 4, serial: 1d
[vo/gpu/x11] Error code: 3, request code: 2, minor code: 0
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 4, serial: 1f
[vo/gpu/x11] Error code: 3, request code: 1, minor code: 0
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 1400002, serial: 22
[vo/gpu/x11] Error code: 3, request code: 12, minor code: 0
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 1400002, serial: 24
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 1400002, serial: 25
[vo/gpu/opengl] Could not create EGL surface!
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 1400002, serial: 27
[vo/gpu/x11] Type: 0, display: 0x7fa02c003440, resourceid: 1400002, serial: 28
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  10 (X_UnmapWindow)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x1400002
  Serial number of failed request:  44
  Current serial number in output stream:  48

EDIT: This only happens in the wayland session, not the X11 session

My system Paste #349205 | Zeropaste

I am having dependencies conflicts with Jack2 and pipewire-jack. when I try to remove one of them pamac refuses to do so.

I managed to resolve.

sudo pacman -S pipewire-jack

sudo pacman -Syu

that’s all

Can’t boot up, errors like these appear after update (sudo journalctl -b-1):

BUG: scheduling while atomic: swapper/11/0/0x00010002
Modules linked in: vboxdrv(OE+)
Modules linked in:
  drm
BUG: scheduling while atomic: apparmor_parser/625/0x00010>
BUG: scheduling while atomic: apparmor_parser/630/0x00010>
Modules linked in:
 vboxdrv(OE+)

Preemption disabled at:
 vfio_iommu_type1
 vfio
 vfio_iommu_type1
 xhci_pci
 irqbypass
Preemption disabled at:
 vfio_virqfd
 vfio_iommu_type1
 vfio_virqfd
 vfio
 vfio_pci_core
[<ffffffff8eed1c05>] migrate_enable+0x45/0x150
 wmi
Preemption disabled at:
Preemption disabled at:
 vfio
 wmi

Preemption disabled at:
[<ffffffff8ee9d04f>] irq_enter_rcu+0xf/0x60
Preemption disabled at:
Preemption disabled at:
 vfio_virqfd
Preemption disabled at:
Preemption disabled at:
 vfio_iommu_type1
 dump_stack_lvl+0x46/0x5a
 vfio
Preemption disabled at:
 ? migrate_enable+0x45/0x150
[<ffffffff8f8cd87e>] schedule_preempt_disabled+0x1e/0x20
 __schedule_bug.cold+0x82/0x90
 __schedule+0x118c/0x1570
 ? invoke_rcu_core+0x8e/0xb0
 ? rcu_sched_clock_irq+0x1f1/0xba0
 schedule_rtlock+0x1e/0x40
 rtlock_slowlock_locked+0x3bf/0xdc0
 ? trigger_load_balance+0x60/0x2e0
 ? scheduler_tick+0xbb/0x240
 rt_spin_lock+0x41/0x60

I’m still looking into it. For now I’m back at:

❯ uname -r
5.10.96-1-MANJARO

while debugging

The Flatpak minecraft launcher starts up but the once I try to launch minecraft it crashes.
nevermind, running
flatpak upgrade
fixed it, would also recommend if anyone is having problems with flatpak downloaded software to run it

I pushed some driver updates: [manjaro-packages] [BoxIt] Memo (x64)

3 Likes

LibreOffice doesn’t start after the update.

libreoffice --writer
Unspecified Application Error

Only pipewire-jack has a conflict with jack2, so users with only jack2 installed will have no problem updating

pipewire-jack is only an optional dependency of pipewire so it can be uninstalled without removing additional packages
PipeWire users that did not install this optional package will have no problem updating

But uninstalling jack2 is likely to require removal of additional package dependencies
So users may want to check the dependencies before removing jack2

pamac info jack2
2 Likes

Just ran the updates. It got stuck on upgrading qtbase. After an hour or so of just letting it sit, I rebooted. Now it’s claiming it cannot find the kernel. I tried the previous kernels as well, but no dice.

error: file /boot/vmlinuz-5.16-x86_64
error: you need to load the kernel first

Still trying to figure this one out. I don’t think it’s qtbase specifically that caused this because that would be weird! That’s just were the update process got stuck.

I did have an out-of-diskspace error intially. I then cleared some space and ran the updates again.

EDIT: Had to boot with a Live USB and reinstall linux516. After that, I could boot again. Weird!

KDE/Plasma
Pipewire

application level audio volume levels are not restored - this wasn’t an issue before this update

if i start audacious for example and set it’s volume to 50%, then restart it, the volume goes to 100%

global/system volume is remembered, just not application level volume

i’m using a USB audio interface (Motu M2) if that matters - on-board sound is disabled (MSI B450)

This is a follow up to the post this is replied to and I’m still having an issue. I updated through terminal but couldn’t update to linux515-rt or linux515-rt-broadcom-wl, this is what the terminal prints:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace linux510-rt with community/linux515-rt? [Y/n] y
:: Replace linux510-rt-broadcom-wl with community/linux515-rt-broadcom-wl? [Y/n] y
warning: manjaro-hello: local (0.6.7-2) is newer than extra (0.6.6-11)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing linux510-rt-broadcom-wl breaks dependency 'linux510-rt-broadcom-wl' required by linux-rt-lts-manjaro-broadcom-wl

I was able to update everything else when I would select “n” for both “replace” questions then went back to see if I could update linux515-rt and linux515-rt-broadcom-wl. I was able to update linux515-rt and then rebooted to the following error:

mount: /sys/firmware/efi/efivars unknown filesystem type: efivarfs

I can’t boot into Manjaro and have no idea what I’m doing. I can boot using a USB with Manjaro and can access my main drive through it. Any idea what is going on and what to do?

EDIT: After a long day of troubleshooting I was able to finally remove linux515-rt and linux515-rt-broadcom-wl and fallback to linux510. How can I install the newer kernel without it messing up my system? I couldn’t figure out how to resolve the ‘efivarfs’ issue.

Other than jack2 and pipewire-jack conflict (which is resolved by uninstalling some jack2 dependents and then reinstalling pipewire-jack), I had another issue. If you’re on Gnome and using mutter-rounded this update might break your system. I solved it replacing mutter-rounded with mutter from TTY.

It’s your responsibility to rebuild your AUR packages. :wink:

Yes, but the reason pipewire-jack is now in conflict with jack2 is because with the pipewire-jack update they now both provide the same things.

jack2 provides

jack2

pipewire-jack provides

pw-jack

So the issue was that two packages that would now provide the same things were trying to update at the same time… which explains why when people were pushing the pipewire-jack update via terminal, or like me unchecked the jack2 update in the pamac GUI… the pipewire-jack update took care of uninstalling the conflicting jack2 with nothing lost except one less package. Of course this assumes that pipewire-jack did a good job of providing/implementing what jack2 did… and I feel those of us interested in and using pipewire should/would be the ones interested in testing that assumption.

/var/log/pacman.log snippet showing removal of jack2 without impacting its dependencies; now being provided by the updated pipewire-jack
[2022-02-05T10:31:13-0600] [ALPM] transaction started
[2022-02-05T10:31:13-0600] [ALPM] removed jack2 (1.9.20-3)
[2022-02-05T10:31:13-0600] [ALPM] removed quazip (1.2-1)

EDIT:
After re-examining my images, I think jack2 may need a pipewire-jack conflict added.

EDIT 2:
Sometimes it takes a moment for my thoughts to congeal :slight_smile: I completely agree with you @nikgnomic that pipewire-jack is an optional component; and quite honestly, I haven’t found a use for it yet (not a patchbay audio user). But even though, as I am currently in the manjaro-pipewire camp, if I have other packages that still have jack/jack2 dependencies outside my use case, and I now have 2 paths/options to resolve those dependencies… I’m going to pick the pipewire path to “reduce the number of cooks in the kitchen”.

The good news is that everyone will make the decision that is right for them… but hopefully these types of conversations help illuminate that there is a choice they might not have been aware of as pipewire evolves.

Thank you for the fresh pamac updates as well.

I noticed I was getting warnings/errors in the terminal with pamac related to the AUR json file… but these updates addressed that.

Likewise, but had to also remove cadence and jack2-dbus (maybe could do less, but removed these two I don’t use anyway)

pamac (via KDE) seems to be very, very slow now when searching for packages. The whole application hangs for a moment as it searches while I type.

Did you get the last update of pamac (and related) packages?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Timeshift restore window became too tall

Upgrade failed - could not satisfy dependencies: -removing linux510-rt breaks dependency 'linux510-rt required by linux-rt-lts-Manjaro.

Upgrade will not complete. all kernels are available and up to date