[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

Turns out it’s a problem with Arch itself.

According to this post on stack overflow Arch updated CUDA without meeting the requirements for the Linux driver version (check the post for additional links).

My solution was simple and it worked, simply rolling back to the previous version with:

$ sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/c/cuda/cuda-11.1.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Now allows you to use nvcc and run the program on your machine.

1 Like

PLEASE HELP! Updated about 30 mins ago and manjaro is not booting into KDE. After installing the update it asked to reboot but after rebooting it doesn’t load into the GUI and just hangs. I don’t post on the forum very often so please let me know if you need any further info. Hopefully I can get back into my system tonight.

Hi all I really need some help after this update.

As many others have noted I also got the linux-latest and linux57 are in conflict and linux-latest and linux58 are in conflict

and couldn’t update so from what I read here the thing to do was to remove them ( I may have misunderstood but that’s what it seemed to me).
After which I could install the update. But now I can’t boot into a graphical environment.
I can get into a tty session and I’m pretty sure I have no graphics drivers now.
so how can I resolve this please?
I have an GTX 1060 card.
This is actually my daughters computer so she’s freaking out right now.
Any help much appreciated.

i restored using timeshift. will leave the update for another day after doing some reading. Assuming Nvidia graphics driver issue.

3 Likes

I think I’m gonna have to do a fresh install for my daughter, I can’t seem to resolve this.

This happen because 5.7 and 5.8 are EOL and Manjaro doesn’t support this Kernels anymore, the linux-latest Upgrade to 5.9 so it’s safe to remove 5.7 and 5.8

Remove nvidia-455xx-utils manually in the Add/Remove software or by the terminal

pamac remove nvidia-455xx-utils

then install the new video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-driver,it should work now.

Yeah I did remove them then rebooted but now I have no graphical environment so it’s not really safe to do.

Before I even begin upgrading, what exactly are the implications of this amdgpu.dc=0 ?? Does it impact AMD GPU performance in any negative way?

Hm check logs and systemctl —failed

Thanks but I’m currently running the computer from a live usb and backing up her files.
I think we’ll have to just fresh install sadly.

I’ve got 3 other computers running Manjaro but I’m a bit scared to update after this one now!

cscs is correct. Don’t use the grub-customizer. I learned the hard way and had to reinstall! Besides that, updates on 8 machines went smooth without a glitch on KDE. Many thanks to the team and everyone dare to test the updates before it’s released to the stable.

Linux510 boots so fast, everything works fine until now

1 Like

Is it worth holding off before updating the others?
Given the number of people having similar issues is there likely to be a further update to resolve this and make it smoother?

If you always use the stable branch and the correct Kernel for your hardware it’s safe to update. (If you want for the fresh install use BTRFS)

Only in some cases there are issues but there small usually

My experience btw

There isnt much wrong with the update to ‘fix’ … if you are using deprecated kernels or modules or configurations … you have to see to that at some point.
(try to revert from grub-customizer, use a current kernel, etc)

Well … you have to make sure to have a working kernel.
And you should never remove a currently running kernel.
Its all safe enough if you do it properly.

5.4 is the last LTS … use that if you cant use the latest.
(and you probably have ‘linux-latest’ installed because something fell back on that package because you were previously using a very dead kernel)

2 Likes

Yeah all 4 machines are on the stable branch.
My daughters that I just tried updating and now is broken is using a gtx 1060
The other daughter is on a gtx 1050 so I’m imagining similar results?
I’m on a Radeon RX580 and we also have a thinkpad x260

She’s on the 5.4 lts yes. So not using depreciated kernels.

So can you install linux10 and nvidia stuff now to get back into the graphical environment? :slight_smile: