[Stable Update] 2020-12-03 - Xorg-Server, Plasma 5.20.4, Cinnamon 4.8.0, Deepin, KDE-git

I am facing issues with the Fn keys. They are able to change the volume and the brightness of the system but there are no visual cues like a notification overlay that used to display before the update but after the update this is not visible and I am manually changing volume/brightness through notification panel.
Here is the issue that I raised on the forum.

Problem launching Pamac on XFCE desktop. The following post helped fix it. Thanks!

No problems with KDE updates for me.

Note: There is one thing I would like to notify: Why can’t we switch to tty console when using non-free drivers on Manjaro (Nvidia in my case)? A black screen appears. When using the free drivers, there are no problems.

I may have spoken too soon. After installing one app and shutting down Pamac, it now refuses to start from GUi. Starting from the command line gives this:

> (pamac-manager:35732): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 06:40:34.060: g_application_run: assertion 'acquired_context' failed
> [marcs@marc-hpenvydesktop79500xx ~]$ 

Any clues as to what’s going on? Running on XFCE desktop.

maybe you should do:

sudo rm /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/99_manjaro-settings.gschema.override

Not sure if this bug is due to the last 2 updates, but I have started experiencing an issue with Gnome Tweaks and my external keyboard (via USB) for the first time these past few weeks.

Whenever I unplug and then replug the external keyboard (Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600), the keyboard doesn’t respond to the present Tweaks settings under Additional Layout Options (under Keyboard & Mouse) regarding “Switching to another Layout”. With the keyboard plugged in, I have to go to Tweaks settings and “Switching to another Layout” to remove and reapply my preferred option.

The internal laptop keyboard does not experience this bug.

After installing this update, running 5.9.11-3-MANJARO kernel, the internal display on Lenovo T460p (Mesa Intel HD Graphics 530 - SKL GT2) won’t turn back on after hibernating. The HDMI-connected external display does fine.

Went back to 5.4.80-2-MANJARO kernel to work around the issue for now.

(KDE) I’m facing a problem with scrolling in Chromium (Version 87.0.4280.66, installed from official repositories) after this update. White lines appear in between while scrolling which sort of “break” the vertical motion of text and content. I’m not sure if this is meant by the term “screen tearing”. Reinstalling Chromium does not solve the issue. Although I can’t tell for sure, mouse pointer/cursor speed also seems to be slow while using Chromium.

Update: I am facing the same problem on Firefox 83.0 as well.
Update: It seems that the problem is not limited to browsers alone, but to the whole system. I experience the same problem on Okular as well while reading pdfs.

flatpak search/updates not working in pacman.
manjaro kde
kernel 5.9.11-3

Seems that this problem recurs on a daily basis. The fix works, but not for long.
Running Kernel 5.8.18-1 on an XFCE desktop

I think this kernel is outdated. Maybe switch first to 5.9 or to a LTS.

Will give that a try. Thanks

Tried 5.9, same problem after a new login.

$ pamac-manager

** Message: 09:29:38.689: flatpak_plugin.vala:125: last flathub appstream refresh is older than 6
** Message: 09:29:38.689: flatpak_plugin.vala:126: refreshing flathub appstream data

(pamac-manager:48333): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 09:29:38.936: g_application_run: assertion ‘acquired_context’ failed

A post was split to a new topic: Pkgfile-update.service failed

GDM is crashing at boot with white screen “OOPS can not recover”, I am with Nvidia card. I have edited /etc/gdm/custom.conf and have uncommented WaylandEnable=false. I hope this will not persist.

Hey people,
just noticed a broken behaviour in “Avahi services”. While using the discovery and clicking something in the interface I get:

Service data for service ‘KY503F63XF’ of type ‘_ipp._tcp’ in domain ‘local’ on 2.0:
Host kyoceralh.local (192.168.111.111), port 631, TXT data: [‘usb_MDL=Printer’, ‘usb_MFG=Kyocera Printer’, ‘adminurl=http://kyoceralh.local.’, ‘pdl=application/postscript’, ‘product=(Printer)’, 'ty=Kyocera Printer, ‘priority=50’, ‘qtotal=1’, ‘rp=ipp/lp’, ‘txtvers=1’]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dbus/connection.py”, line 606, in msg_reply_handler
reply_handler(*message.get_args_list(**get_args_opts))
File “/usr/bin/avahi-discover”, line 114, in service_resolved
self.update_label(interface, protocol, name, stype, domain, host, aprotocol, address, port, avahi.txt_array_to_string_array(txt))
File “/usr/bin/avahi-discover”, line 242, in update_label
txts = txts.decode(“utf-8”)
AttributeError: ‘str’ object has no attribute ‘decode’

Can it be that this package needs a rebuild, since it is still on python 3.8?

on stable python is still 3.8.6

The new Python update in Testing update.

Only do if you really need it. And don’t do to you main system.

testing is testing and stable is stable don’t mix topics

Hey,

you are right! Manjaro stable is still on 3.8.6. So I looked into that again and found an issue on GitHub from march this year. It was introduced with the conversion from Python 2 to 3. Also it seems be an easy fix:
–> https://github.com/smcv/avahi/commit/bcafdcc5465091b6088532460b671f411703f90b

Guess that isn’t applied into the manjaro packages yet.

Isn’t that discovery service a dependency for quiet some other services and daemons? Strange, that nobody noticed till now.