[Stable Update] 2020-11-04 - Kernels, Nvidia 455.38, LibreOffice, Plasma5, Frameworks, Apps, Gnome 3.38, Deepin

Updated, solved GPU error by reboot.

Yep, you should follow syntax-changes

Update went smooth, but for some reason mpd doesn’t work.
Failed to initialize io_uring: io_uring_queue_init() failed: Cannot allocate memory

What was this crappy pulseaudio update? Now the only channel available is hdmi and even running pulseaudio-k on the terminal, it doesn’t help

mmh, my input mic keeps going up on its own I put it at 50% in the gnome settings, I tried also in pulse audio, but it jumps on its own, to 70%, then to 80%, then 95%, and it stays around 95%. Is that the case for anyone else too ?
EDIT: wait sorry, didn’t mean to make that a reply ^^

1 Like

I just upgraded a Manjaro KDE VMware virtual machine and now Plasma is glitching out badly.
All applications work perfectly fine except plasma itself. The task manager, desktop and login screen glitch around every time I interact with something. Black flickering and things like files on the desktop disappearing and reappearing rapidly…

Does onyone have a solution to this?

EDIT: Just tested Kernel 5.4, 5.8 and 5.9 but no difference :frowning:

2 Likes

Updated today using TTY.
Cant reach login under Gnome;
‘There was a Problem.’
Didnt find anything in the logs.
But in systemctl -b I see:
‘Process 1106 (gnome-shell) of user 120 dumped core.’
Disabled all extensions ( after update :zipper_mouth_face: ) still no login after reboot.
Any thoughts?

Edit:
I have dual graphics nvidia/intel on my laptop,
But only using video-Linux atm

Hi everyone

I am having issues, I cannot even login into my manjaro-deepin distrib. I had this issue with a previous upgrade (which was caused by a manjaro-settings / manjaro-schemas package issue) and I solved it, this issue is different.

By looking at the logs I see that ilghtdm-deepin-greeter coredump which makes everything crash and reset. I tried to create a new user and see if I can login with it but no luck. I also tried to go back to a 4.19 kernel, still no luck.

Do anyone have an idea of what is happening ?

Check the wiki above

What was this crappy pulseaudio update? Now it is not possible to choose an audio channel

1 Like

Thanks, Manjaro team! Everything works great. :clap: :blush:

This is my best birthday present. :penguin: :hugs::grin:

4 Likes

Sorry,
But I don’t find anything related in the wiki.
Enabled / disabled wayland, in / etc/gdm/custom.conf but that didnt change anything.

To be fair I’m not qualified enough to give you a proper answer. I think when this .pacnew arrived in Testing, a comment suggested that was the only thing to do, maybe with more explanation. I can’t find the message anymore. I’ll try to edit this message if I find it.

//EDIT: maybe one of these guys can answer Search results for 'mkinitcpio topic:34776' - Manjaro Linux Forum

@pheiduck
@koshikas
@Jaypee

invocation of random power users: @linux-aarhus @Chrysostomus @Fabby @moson

Can one of you guys clarify how to handle properly the new changes in mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew please?

2 Likes

Ive had this issue for some time too.
I tried different things, such as checking network-manager, switching cupsd to a socket, and installing haveged, none of these worked.

I can always to Alt+F2 to a tty and go back with Alt+F1 and the login will start after that for some reason.

I suppose for users that have a splash screen, the system will just hang on their computer logo screen and it will look like nothing is happening.

I really wish we can figure this out.

1 Like

Parentheses is the new standard, but quotes are still supported for the time being.

2 Likes

Everything appears to ok!
5.8.18, KDE & Nvidia.

I am neither of the guys you pinged, but if you’re worried about the keymap, you should leave it in if you’re going with the proposed set of hooks.

However, I myself am no longer using that, because for a while already I’m having systemd take care of the configuration instead of udev ─ it shaves a bit of time off the boot process, and it automatically detects a separate /usr filesystem without needing the usr hook ─ and my HOOKS line looks like this… :arrow_down:

HOOKS=(base systemd autodetect modconf block keyboard sd-vconsole filesystems shutdown)

The sd-vconsole hook here-above takes care of the keymap. You should also include the fsck hook if your root filesystem is not on btrfs.

Other than that, as was explained, the bracket notation is the new standard way of doing things.

3 Likes

Just updated Pamac - Add/Remove Software when pinned to my favourites in gnome now shows a duplicate icon when I open it.

Not sure why that happened.

3 Likes

i’m not qualified on the subject matter either. besides the " changing to (), i think important changes are the changed hooks and their order;

old conf read;

HOOKS=“base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap filesystems”

new conf reads;

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

changes being “keyboard” coming before “filesystems”, “keymap” removed and “fsck” added at the end.

now there is some info on these hooks in archwiki;
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mkinitcpio#Common_hooks

from the little i understood, i think the new conf could be used as is. missing “keymap” hook is required if you use full-disk encryption apparently (so beware). having additional “fsck” hook is recommended practice. that is all i can fathom.

4 Likes

Update went smoothly, however I had one issue.

After I booted into desktop, I had no audio, and journalctl -xef was spewing out a LOT of pipewire error messages.

Had to remove pipewire-jack, pipewire-pulse and pipewire-alsa to get audio back and running (Jack2 + Pulseaudio).