[Stable Update] 2020-11-04 - Kernels, Nvidia 455.38, LibreOffice, Plasma5, Frameworks, Apps, Gnome 3.38, Deepin

Both “” and () are recognized as bash arrays.

I don’t know where and what or why it has changed but I know that () is the preferred approach to define an array.

For the order of appearance in HOOKS array it is roughly

• Everything before autodetect is included in your init.
  • Everything after autodetect is included on a device detection basis when the initial ramfs is loaded.

The order of appearance is important in certain use cases - most notably - with encrypted root filesystem and MD/RAID.

Read more at Arch wiki - link to hooks section

8 Likes

Ok thanks everyone, I’ll try to solidify my understanding of hooks and mkinitcpio.

Is it ok to download and keep using this version or should I wait for the release?

I get the same error. Any help is appreciated.

As a workaround downgrading helps:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pulseaudio-13.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libpulse-13.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pulseaudio-bluetooth-13.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
pulseaudio-equalizer-13.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pulseaudio-jack-13.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pulseaudio-lirc-13.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pulseaudio-zeroconf-13.0-3-x8
6_64.pkg.tar.zst

3 Likes

Uh! So big and huge update! All fine here on Xfce, Kernel 4.14.

I also had the pacnews files about mkinitcpio.conf and /etc/pulse/daemon.conf;

Already months ago I embraced the new syntax for mkinitcpio.conf - parentheses instead of quotation marks, so I just keep my settings (which, obviously, are specific for my system specs):

MODULES=(ahci sd_mod ext4 i915)
HOOKS=(base udev keyboard keymap autodetect modconf block filesystems)
COMPRESSION="cat"

Oddly, the last section - COMPRESSION, still have quotation marks also in the pacnew.

The pacnew of pulse, instead, wanted to change some comments which I made; all my settngs of pulse are in ~/.config/pulse/daemon.conf

For the rest I didn’t received any errors during sudo pacman -Syyu :metal:

1 Like

pacman -Qtd

js68 libpwquality

Running Manjaro GNOME on a Lenovo ThinkPad T14s (Intel model). My Bluetooth keyboard (ThinkPad Trackpoint Keyboard II) appears to have stopped working with the update. It no longer paired automatically. Tried selecting “Remove Device” from the GNOME Bluetooth settings menu, thinking I could re-add it. But it no longer shows up in the menu at all (at least not as a named device—there is an “Unknown” device listed, but it’s grayed out with no option to connect to it). Any guidance would be appreciated.

EDIT: The problem seems to have self-healed after multiple reboots. I’m unsure as to what changed. The only significant thing I did was to run pacdiff, which I’d forgotten to do before. Neither of the .pacnew files (mkinitcpio.conf and php.ini) would appear to have anything to do with Bluetooth connectivity, however. So I’m unsure what happened.

ran the update haven’t rebooted yet but I noticed an error during the download.
error: failed retrieving file 'lib32-libpcap-1.9.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
is that critical? I tried updating mirrors and rerunning the download but it didn’t bother to re-fetch it.

Edit: manually fetched it and it said it was a reinstall. I’ll update this post or make a new one when I reboot later.

Do a pacman -Qi on both packages and check the section “Required By”, but you should also consider “Optional For”.

For me these packagese were completely orphans.

2 Likes

This just means you have a slow connection to one of the mirrors, pacman will likely fall back to another mirror to download the file.

1 Like

I used the downgrade script from the repos with downgrade libpulse $(pacman -Qq | grep '^pulseaudio') (since all pulseaudio* packages have to be in sync) to just reinstall the 13.0-3 versions of all those packages…

1 Like

nvidia 450xx seems to be working just fine with Linux 5.9. No trouble at all with that one detected, yet.

1 Like

Package user-manager-git(5.19.90) while installation full kde-plasma by Architect causes installation few packages kf5 in git version. After installation i see that user manager doesn’t exist non-git version.

Fixed my ‘exists in filesystem’ pacman errors. Gnome depends on libhandy but I had both libhandy and libhandy1 packages installed. Removing the latter (nothing seemed to depend on it) allowed the updates to go ahead.

Now about to reboot…

Cinnamon, 5.4, all went well, another good update. Thanks!

1 Like

Everything seems working for me also.
Kernel 5.8.18 and KDE an laptop with AMD Ryzen7 and nvidia gpu

(150/322) upgrading gdm                            [######################] 100%
warning: directory permissions differ on /var/lib/gdm/.local/
filesystem: 755  package: 700 

Does the same apply here as for dhcpcd?:

sudo chmod 700 /var/lib/gdm/.local

I lost all audio after installing this update, tried a couple of the suggested solutions but they didn’t work. I had a project due that left me very pressed for time so I just reinstalled Manjaro and the sound worked even after installing the update again, I don’t know what fixed it (or broke it).

I have similar issue after upgrading with Gnome.
can’t add Pamac to “dash-to-dock” by right clicking on the dock icon to “Add to favourites”.
All other programmes add to the dock just fine.

If you use gnome shell to add to favourites, it then creates 2 icons on the dock.

very strange behaviour

I think this message is probably a red herring.
I’ve found that by increasing the ulimit for memlock I can stop that message appearing. But MPD still doesn’t work.
This is so important for me that I’ve reverted to my pre-update backup to keep it working.