I just noticed mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS=() changed to HOOKS="" during install

Regarding /etc/mkinitcpio.conf on Ruah 21.3 Live USB compared to right after install:

# Live USB
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

# After Install
HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont filesystems fsck"

I know both forms are currently accepted, but the later is the current form.

I tasked myself to try and figure when/how it was changed during the install :slight_smile:

I went to gitlab > packages > core > mkinitcpio. The url points to github arch mkinitcpio. This shows (). What comes next and where did it get changed?

My guess is that the Calamares developers had something to do with that.

There have been no upstream changes to mkinitcpio.conf for well over a year. The default file still uses parenthesis for HOOKS. The only change with our package is a patch that’s unrelated.

I remember seeing a pacnew a long time ago, which is confirmed by this topic. I only looked at a new install because of this topic today. I was a little flummoxed when I saw the “”.

Following @Aragorn’s thinking, I unsquashed rootfs.sfs from the ISO and looked at /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.install, and they both show “”, not (). I don’t know if that helps in any way :slight_smile: Where does mkinitcpio.conf come from that is located in manjaro/x86_64/rootfs.sfs on the ISO?

1 Like