[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

Update installed successfully yesterday. Proceeded to install and boot into kernel 5.8 today, no issues as of writing this.

The only question I have is re: “Boot hole”: I’m not using Secure Boot at all, do I have to mess with GRUB?

linux-latest is currently a metapackage for kernel 5.7. Shouldn’t it point to kernel 5.8? That’s the latest stable kernel.

version Kernel 5.8 has just started
there missing some drivers wifi and firmware

stay on 5.7

3 Likes

Ta… reverting to 5.7.

I’m having the same issue. My conky scripts were already in the correct version.

conky-lua-nv (10.1Kb) removed conky (4.9Mb). conky-lua-nv only has those 4 files that Loacoon mentioned above. If I remove conky-lua-nv and reinstall conky, then it throws run-time errors.

Probably… I seem to remember there some some criteria that needed to be met before kernels would be added as part of linux-latest probably that the kernel be sufficiently tested by the Manjaro crew and all the drivers be available. Since linux58 is currently sat at 5.8.0-2 on my list, it lookes like the 'kernel.org stable 5.8.1` isn’t in in the stable branch yet.

1 Like

All good!

Just came to Manjaro from Ubuntu. And for me and for my Hardware its best I think.

I love it and update goes well

Thanks Manjaro team for this Distro

2 Likes

WARNING: If you try to install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime on an Optimus laptop, you got a black screen!!!
I had to revert to video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee to get my display back…

That is something that could be made “sticky” the time that the 450 driver is available (I’ve heard it doen’t have this problem, but I haven’t try, because I rather stay on “stable”).
Otherwise, the rest of the update was trouble free on 2 computers (Gnome & Cinnamon), thanks to the Manjaro team.

Update went well. Running KDE

2 Likes

Hello, a newbie here :sweat_smile:
How much data did it take for the entire update can you brief me on that?

It depends on what you have installed. You can do pacman -Syu and check yourself and cancel.

Okay.
I haven’t installed Manjaro yet.
Just trying to gather knowledge about everything I can so that I am totally sure before going for the OS change!

If your system is working, at point 4, you can simply use:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes

and

sudo update-grub

Then reboot.
1 e 2 are advisable, too.

A chroot is needed if after reboot you get a grub error and your system doesn’t start anymore.
But if you want to follow the longer procedure, it’s up to you, it doesn’t hurt.

However, since I’m quite a newbie, I chose the shortest way (I updated one of the two my Manjaro systems). I’m of the view that the fewer commands you give, the harder it is to make mistakes. :grin:
Good luck!

4 Likes

@singhayushh
For a “big” stable update (e.g. Desktop environment has new major version, first larger update in a while, so many other app updates are included), I think you will easily see around 1 GB or more of download size.
However, those are usually not super frequent if you are on the stable channel.

1 Like

Some more bugs specific to KDE Plasma:

1. The Battery and Brightness icon in Status and Notification randomly disappears and requires a reboot to get it to reappear.

2. After resuming from standby or hibernate, there is always a new sticky note with the last paragraph of typed text in it.

Updates made on KDE version. Everything OK.

Thanks Manjaro Team.

Thanks for this @gan, just what I was looking for :slight_smile:

After rebbot, grub-install -version now prints grub-install (GRUB) 2.04~manjaro which looks like it was successful.

Hi all!

Update went fine on my work computer (1GB, 257 packages). The only issue so far is Windows 10 VM not booting with USB support enabled. But, as this VM was caught between updates as well, maybe the problem will go away on the next reboot.

Thank you for the great work. Cheers and good luck with the new forum.

EDIT: VBox definitely doesn’t boot with either ehci or xhci usb enabled (only with ohci). I’ll take a look at the bug reports later.

xps9550,KDE,linux419 - no issues :+1:

Hey @mbb,

You can fix/workaround this issue relatively easy.

Workaround: disable ehci / xhci usb controller in virtual machine settings (only ohci allowed). Not feasible everywhere.

Please find step-by-step guidelines using downgrade process:

1. Remove virtualbox-ext-oracle 6.1.13.139853-1
  2. Download manually virtualbox-ext-oracle 6.1.12-1 from AUR
  3. Extract aur-f800480aa0b581883210007229fff5ac0eeb5292.tar.gz archive
  4. Open a terminal and cd aur-f800480aa0b581883210007229fff5ac0eeb5292
  5. Run makepkg -scri