[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

Update on a cinnamon Desktop went smooth. I had noticed a problem with write access to a usb drive, but this was likely not associated with the upgrade.

Such are many vulnerabilities these days. Doesnโ€™t mean it isnโ€™t good practice to patch them out.

Install linuxXX-headers? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, itโ€™s on some word list filter the forum is using. This is a tech forum, so religious discussion is off-topic.

A little etymology about the name of the new Manjaro release if anyone is interested (from Wikipedia):

Micah is the name of several people in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), and means โ€œWho is like G*d?โ€ The name is sometimes found with theophoric extensions. Suffix theophory in Yah and in Yahweh results in Michaiah or Michaihu (Hebrew: ืžึดื™ื›ึธื™ึฐื”ื•ึผโ€Ž, Modern: Mikhayhu , Tiberian: Mรฎแธตฤฬyhรป ), meaning who is like Yahweh? [1] Suffix theophory in El results in Michael (Hebrew: ืžึดื™ื›ึธืึตืœโ€Ž, Modern: Mikhaโ€™el , Tiberian: Mรฎแธตฤสผฤ“l ), meaning โ€œwho is like g*dโ€.

In German and Dutch, Micah is spelled Micha and the ch in the name is pronounced either [สƒ] or [x]; the first is more common in female names, the latter in male names. The name is not as common as Michael or Michiel.

EDIT: โ€ฆand of course the Star Trek planet. Thanks @cscs, forgot about that.

2 Likes

Iโ€™m having some weird issues. The PC updated just fine, I rebooted and everything was fine until the audio stopped working. Then I rebooted and everything worked until I got a softlock and now the audio doesnโ€™t wanna work at all. Any suggestions?

Just to be sure: My computer on stable is Mikah and my testing laptop is still Lysia. Is that the right thing?

Everything OK on GNOME :slight_smile:

Everything OK, except the NVENC/Cuda issue. Tested playback from my Jellyfin server and video is now transcoded instead of playing direct. Hope the 450 driver becomes part of the stable repo quick. Iโ€™d rather not use the beta driver tbh.

1 Like
Summary
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   quike@gnomo-manlnx 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   ------------------ 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   Host: SVS151290X C60BL796 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ            โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   Kernel: 5.7.14-1-MANJARO 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   Uptime: 17 mins 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   Packages: 1375 (pacman) 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   Shell: bash 5.0.18 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   Resolution: 1920x1080 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   DE: Plasma 5.19.4 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   WM: KWin 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   WM Theme: Sweet-Mars-transparent 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   Theme: Sweet [Plasma], Breath [GTK2], Nordic [GTK3] 
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ   Icons: candy-icons [Plasma], candy-icons [GTK2/3] 
                               Terminal: terminator 
                               CPU: Intel i7-3632QM (8) @ 3.200GHz 
                               GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE 
                               GPU: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller 
                               Memory: 3107MiB / 11861MiB

Update went perfect in KDE, just a small grub error: requested to scale to size w/ a zero dimension
Easily fix using Grub-Customizer and updating my theme.(Donโ€™t know what cause this error, but posted here in case some else get this same glitch).

Laptop is running smooth and I feel it is responding faster.
Kudos Manjaro Team!

Hi there @gan,

thanks for posting that.

Iโ€™m confused though, the link you posted, says you do not need to:

[โ€ฆ] to use live usb and chroot to reinstall.

as you can:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes

but the wiki post linked by @philm in the OP has more steps to follow.

So perhaps Iโ€™m the only person confused here, if so sorry.
Iโ€™d like to know the steps to follow:

1. backup
  2. sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5
  3. sudo pacman -Syyu
  4. update GRUB but with which set of instructions? the simple two-liner terminal command or the long chroot-ed procedure in the wiki (including booting with a live-USB and chroot)?
  5. reboot

is that correct ?

Thanks for reading and for any clarification you -or someone else- can bring.

XFCE, updated via tty. No issues.

Just popping in to report absolutely no issues after the update, for which I am thankful :slight_smile:
p.s. missing the old forum

AUKEY EP-B40S

Everythingโ€™s ok.

Hi!
All good with kde/5.8/nvidia
Great work!!!

Got one, created with Ventoy โ†’ [HowTo] Write Manjaro ISO to USB - bootable USB - no wasted space - Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum ! :wink:

Same here, before 5.8 release it was stuck in startup with this error.
Now you see the error but the laptop starts up normally (not setting the backlight correctly).

After scratching my head and wondering โ€˜why the heck is yay -Syu saying there is nothing to doโ€™ when Philip has said thereโ€™s a stable branch update, and the mirrors Iโ€™m using are up to date according to mirror-checkโ€ฆ (and then finding out after doing a mirror refresh that something was obviously broken) โ€ฆ no issues to report โ€ฆ did the update, did update-grub Et Al. โ€ฆ rebooted, everything seems to be working so far! :slight_smile:

screenfetch before
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     pfeerick@asus-h55d
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     OS: Manjaro 20.0.3 Lysia
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.7.9-1-MANJARO
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Uptime: 27m
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ            โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Packages: 1653
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Shell: zsh 5.8
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Resolution: 1920x1080
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     DE: KDE 5.72.0 / Plasma 5.19.3
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     WM: KWin
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Icon Theme: breeze
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Disk: 3.2T / 3.8T (84%)
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     CPU: Intel Core i5 650 @ 4x 3.201GHz
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
                                  RAM: 2561MiB / 11915MiB
screenfetch after
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     pfeerick@asus-h55d
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     OS: Manjaro 20.1 Mikah
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.7.14-1-MANJARO
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Uptime: 1m
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ            โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Packages: 1649
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Shell: zsh 5.8
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Resolution: 1920x1080
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     DE: KDE 5.73.0 / Plasma 5.19.4
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     WM: KWin
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Icon Theme: breeze
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     Disk: 3.2T / 3.8T (84%)
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     CPU: Intel Core i5 650 @ 4x 3.201GHz
 โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ     GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
                                  RAM: 1048MiB / 11915MiB

Update went well. Running Gnomeโ€ฆUpdating XFCE now.
Any idea when we will get LibreOffice 7?

1 Like

After itโ€™s tested it will be moved to stable like every other package however, if you want to get it before that this post explains a few options to do so.

Hello good day, thanks for the update.

BTW I successfully install the update but, I got a small problem, the brightness level is not retained between reboots. After adjusting the brightness level then after reboot on startup the brightness level will go back to around 5 or 10 percent only.

Does anybody experience this or know how to fix it?
Thanks

P.S. My DE is KDE Plasma