"Sorry, you can't include links in your posts."

I was able to post images straight away (at least within 3 days when I posted what I think is my first one; certainly not TL2). I think the permissions were changed a bit later, possibly to avoid a flood of images on the new server-space.

Allowing time to let the dust settle is definitely needed! :wink:

Links to the old Forum should definitely be allowed though.

3 Likes

I came across this thread because I am a new manjaro user who has written a bunch of pkgfile’s that I would like feedback on and that others may find useful, but I cannot share them because I am not allowed to post links.

I have demonstrated that I am a real person with real interactions. I can see with new accounts, but why is there so much resistance to allowing people to do what they need to? Why do you assume to know what good discussion is, and what important contributions are made up of?

1 Like

It’s not really an asumption on the part of humans; it’s part of an automated process (mostly). You just need to earn the relevant badges it seems. I know it may be frustrating but there is (effectively) a minimum level of participation before being granted TL2 (Member).

This might help:
Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

3 Likes

Can you confirm that this site implements trust levels unmodified from the Discourse defaults you cite? In my case, I believe I have met TL2 days ago.

4 Likes

PM mods with details of your post nature.

1 Like

It does differ in some respects according to what I’ve read, but am afraid I don’t know the specific details. Maybe someone such as @codesardine may be in a position to elaborate? (If that’s appropriate, of course).

1 Like

I read likewise, and I understand that the repeated requests I have seen here for a well-written and exactly correct FAQ are not a trivial requests, so I went searching, but I could not find a config file on gltlab. Maybe something like config/settings.yaml or even some patched ruby code, but I could not find it by browsing at https://gitlab.manjaro.org/webpage or searching at the top level.

3 Likes

yes, they are modified as: only TL2 can upload an image.
For level attribution , if it’s important, it’s possible to look at the profile of a newly promoted user to get a good idea of the difficulty/facility of the level attribution.

1 Like

I think the most obvious common denominator is the “15 days visited” mark :slight_smile: and many posts read.

1 Like

This is off subject, but how, in God’s name can a bright and up coming distribution have so many forum mess ups since I first started frequenting the forums in 2011. The forum admin seems to talk down to people and treats us as children, not to be trusted. Come on fix the darn forum correctly, and give permission,s as documented or I feel a lot of users will take their time and efforts to another distribution, without all this un-necessary drama!

5 Likes

16,000 registrants and 19 people in this topic, we should not exaggerate. Discourse has levels, it’s not taking people for children but only being able to manage a few fools who take advantage of theis number to do stupid things and not encourage them to come here even more.

1 Like

Which fool’s are you talking about, show proof. Also, answer why the permissions are not given as documented? And yes it is taking forum users new and old for children that cannot be trusted! Never had this drama on any of the other forum,s I belong to.

2 Likes

with 1000 registrations per day there are none? great is that these restrictions work wonderfully

For discourse: Levels are just marks of trust, so giving this label on the first day goes against this software.
After 15 days, without forcing, any restriction has disappeared. For a child it may take longer?
Old forum : same thing it took 15 days to pass TL2 like most forum discourses

as writed, 19 people in a topic is not a drama :wink:

I have the impression that you’re confusing things: if we put passwords with linux it’s not that we consider all linux users as children :wink: If you have to pass your driver’s license, it’s not because you’re a child…
If the stable updates come 15 days late it’s not because manjaro view these users as children, there’s a reason - here it’s different but it’s also for a good reason !
And if you never see spammers or trolls on your other forums it may be that there are 10 moderators for 50 registrations per day. Here, at this moment it’s just humanly unmanageable.

3 Likes

I just checked: You’re TL1 as you’re missing the “member” badge.

I’m TL3

It’ll come pretty soon: most very active users get to TL2 in a week.

:hugs:

1 Like

Thank you. Congratulations on making TL3. I know I am TL1. What is so frustrating about the un/mis-documented TL requirements is that I believe I have met the TL2 requirements several days ago, but I do not know for certain because I cannot find the config.yaml (or equivalent) on gitlab the way an open-source project normally works, and there is not even a wiki or FAQ to compare against, only the Discourse defaults, which have been changed, but we don’t know how they have been changed because I cannot find the git commit of the changes.

3 Likes

first datas go from config file but, after admin change field values in a dashboard ; discourse use postgresql DB

You missed this bit in the Discourse Trust Levels:

Trust Level 1 — Basic
At Discourse, we believe reading is the most fundamental and healthy action in any community. If a new user is willing to spend a little time reading, they will quickly be promoted to the first trust level.
Get to trust level 1 by…
Entering at least 5 topics
Reading at least 30 posts
Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
Users at trust level 1 can…
Use all core Discourse functions; all new user restrictions are removed
Send PMs
Upload images and attachments if enabled
Edit wiki posts
Flag posts
Mute other users

Emphasis mine: it’s not enabled…

(I’m just a TL3, not an admin nor a mod, please don’t :gun: the messenger…)

:scream:

2 Likes

Once again, I did not miss that. I know that I am a TL1 and that am not allowed to post images, attachments or URLs outside code blocks. What I have said repeatedly is that the only documentation shared has been Discourse defaults. What I have also said, is that based on the Discourse defaults I believe I should be a TL2. However, others have posted that the Discourse defaults have been modified for this forum without sharing the modifications or even the documentation of these changes. So, I cannot even make a well-documented complaint because the TL2 requirements, as implemented on this forum, are hidden from me.

5 Likes

Yes, you seem to have it all and more than others … (maybe stingy “likes”?)
Badges are given by a cron, maybe in a few hours or one day for you ?
It also seems to me that there are some negative points: like receiving flag (I’m not aiming at you!)

2 Likes

Thank you. My point is not that I am claiming my Summary tab looks ‘better’ than some other TL2s and therefore I deserve it, my point is that without any reliable documentation or source config (and thanks for your post that seems to indicate that Discourse only seems to load the initial source config, and later changes can be made directly in the database, so I assume an SQL query is the best way to understand the current implementation), there is no way for me (or any of the others here) to know with certainty what is missing from their Summary so they can participate more meaningfully.

4 Likes