Slowdown in Manjaro ARM development?

It seems that we have been 3 months without Manjaro ARM updates, at least for Pinebook Pro. And this is strange, can I start to suspect that development is being left a bit neglected?

1 Like
  • understaffed is the more correct description
  • the dependency on archlinuxarm does not speed anything up
2 Likes

There have been delay from Arch linux arm project so we have to wait for the update.

They have updated recently so soon there will be a stable update. Plus there have been a huge kde plasma 6 release which have bugs on arm side so that is causing further delay.

No. not neglected. Instead there is more work but not much time as we all do handle this project during our free time without anything in return. I request some more patience and hopefully things will go back to normal.

Thank you for reporting the delay in update.

5 Likes

Thank you so much. You’re very kind. This reassures me. We’ll be patient. I hope the staffing issues can be resolved

2 Likes

@spikerguy Is there somewhere where we could follow the development of the next Stable: e.g. do you keep a dev diary? or mention the current status on social media?

1 Like

Hi,

Nice, Manjaro-arm-tools updated today , Manjaro ARM is alive :slight_smile:

What’s new with this up date, is Plasma 6 available ?

[nls@lap ~]$ date -u
jeu. 25 juil. 2024 20:55:50 UTC
[nls@lap ~]$ pamac update -a
Download of manjaro-arm-tools (2.11.3+7+g480f843-1) started                                                                       
Download of manjaro-arm-tools (2.11.3+7+g480f843-1) finished                                                                      
Checking keyring...                                                                                                          [1/1]
Checking integrity...                                                                                                        [1/1]
Loading package files...                                                                                                     [1/1]
Checking file conflicts...                                                                                                   [1/1]
Checking available disc space...                                                                                             [1/1]
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
Upgrading manjaro-arm-tools (2.11.2-1 -> 2.11.3+7+g480f843-1)...                                                             [1/1]
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...                                                                                               [1/2]
Refreshing PackageKit...                                                                                                     [2/2]

Yes will update all kernels this weekend.

I have been busy with personal life.

Plus the delay is cause of kde plasma and panfrost breaking plasma de.

Needed kcm tweak. So with updated panfrost and plasma i hope it gets resolved.

Pushing untested update should break many installs thats why it was help for so long, plus we need more testers using it on testing and unstable branch.

Thanks for all the support who have been with manjaro arm project since so long.

2 Likes

You can follow our gitlab.
There you will see regular kernel updates.

I try to update the kernel as soon as they’re released but been lagging behind since few weeks now.

Unstable and testing branches are updated frequently but stable is not cause here have been a lot of changing happening in kernel, panfrost and plasma where we have been informed by the users that the de breaks on newer update so we had to hold back stable updates until it is well tested.

As adviced before we need more testers on testing and unstable branch as we cannot test so many hardware regularly. With arm every single model number is unique in its own way.

2 Likes

That’s something I hadn’t considered; for example, it seems there are significant differences between the PinePhone (which a good friend has) and the PinePhone Pro (which I have)?

1 Like

Well, yes. The main SoC is different, so one could argue that those are completely different devices. Some hardware is identical, e.g., the modem (Quectel EG-25G), or at least similar enough for the difference not to matter, e.g., the LCD panels have the same size (but I think they are not exactly identical), but some is completely different, not just the SoC, but also, e.g., the cameras.

2 Likes

manjaro-arm-tools need qemu-user-static-binfmt for dependency, how do you update?

1 Like

As I recall it is only required if building on X86_64 hardware.

pacman asked qemu-user-static-binfmt error.

1 Like

Strange

$ pamac search qemu-user --no-aur
qemu-user-binfmt  9.0.2-1                                     extra
    Binary format rules for QEMU user mode emulation
qemu-user-static-binfmt  9.0.2-1 [Installed]                  extra
    Binary format rules for QEMU static user mode emulation
qemu-user-static  9.0.2-1 [Installed]                         extra
    QEMU static user mode emulation
qemu-user  9.0.2-1 [Installed]                                extra
    QEMU user mode emulation

Is this message on aarch64 ?

I am not an experienced maintainer of crossplatform packages - perhaps @Yochanan build on x86_64 and copied the same package to aarch64 ?

I think that is what has happened - the package exist for both arm and x86 where the latter depends on qemu-user-static-binfmt to support cross architecture chroot and pkgbuild

$ uname -rm
6.6.41-1-MANJARO-RPI5 aarch64

$ sudo pacman -S manjaro-arm-tools
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "qemu-user-static-binfmt", a dependency of "manjaro-arm-tools"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      manjaro-arm-tools

The PKGBUILD arch=(“any”) is misleading should likely be arch=(“aarch64”, “x86_64”)

It’s an architecture independent package as there are no ELF files. I’ve moved qemu-user-static-binfmt to optional dependencies.

manjaro-arm-tools 2.11.3+7+g480f843-2 will be coming along shortly.

3 Likes