Slow graphics issues after update 2022/06/12. Perhaps NVIDIA driver related

Can confirm, haven’t changed anything yet. Also it was working fine before the latest update, so it’s probably only a small issue.

…one I’ll kick myself over for not thinking of…

Probably xD

Hello,

From what i read and see there should be no issue, unless:

• some custom xorg.conf is lurking in the /etc/X11/ when there should be only /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
  • was the /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf manually altered?
  • your system might require early KMS to be enabled

From what i know the RTX 3080 will perform faster on PCIe v3 or 4 … Not sure, is it connected on the proper port internally ?

Mine is quite old PC and GPU and is normal to have it like that and be slow in comparison with newer models and motherboards

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nvidia
    v: 525.60.11 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 520.xx+
    process: TSMC 28nm built: 2014-19 pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 16
    ports: active: none off: DVI-D-1,DVI-I-1 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1
    bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1401 class-ID: 0300
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.5
    compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X: loaded: nvidia gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch
    display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x1080 s-dpi: 101 s-size: 966x272mm (38.03x10.71")
    s-diag: 1004mm (39.51")
  Monitor-1: DVI-D-1 mapped: DVI-D-0 note: disabled pos: right
    model: Cintiq 22HD serial: <filter> built: 2014 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60
    dpi: 102 gamma: 1.2 size: 476x268mm (18.74x10.55") diag: 546mm (21.5")
    ratio: 16:9 modes: max: 1920x1080 min: 640x480
  Monitor-2: DVI-I-1 note: disabled pos: primary,left
    model: LG (GoldStar) W2253 serial: <filter> built: 2009 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60
    dpi: 102 gamma: 1.2 size: 477x268mm (18.78x10.55") diag: 547mm (21.5")
    ratio: 16:9 modes: max: 1920x1080 min: 640x480
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.60.11 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    960/PCIe/SSE2 direct render: Yes

One thing i do in KDE Plasma is to add:
ForceCompositionPipeline=On
to Section "Screen" to my both monitors set as fixed layout, and

Option         "TripleBuffer"  "On"
    Option  "ConnectToAcpid"    "Off"

in Section "Device" of my /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf and i use the /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh with:

export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

in it.

In System Settings i make sure the Compositor is set like this

@TWrecks - have you tried a newer kernel? See with the 6 one.

I’m sorry bogdancovaciu, I’m having a bit of trouble parsing what exactly you want me to do.

How do I answer you here? Would you like me to dive right into updating my kernel?

The graphics card was working fine just before the most recent patch. I don’t think there’s an issue with how it’s plugged in. I haven’t changed it since it was working correctly.

You initially had the video-nvidia-470xx installed and working fine. With the update, came a newer version of the 470xx nvidia drivers

So, prior to 470.161.03 nvidia driver family, there was 470.141.03 version, and that was working fine for you. After update you noticed a decrees in performance. Then you switched to video-nvidia = that is the latest family with the version 525.60.11 that i know for sure has multiple regressions in performance, vaapi mentioned here Issue after upgrading to 525 series drivers · Issue #126 · elFarto/nvidia-vaapi-driver · GitHub and also discussed on cuEGLStreamProducerConnect returns error 801 on 525.53 driver - #7 by elFarto - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
and i doubt somehow that for some GPU models this issue got fixed

Somehow i was actually hoping that by mentioning all the above you will disprove my initial concerns, and you actually did, because i didn’t much say what you can do, but what to look for, and now, as conclusion - it seems that also the latest legacy drivers introduced regressions and we should go back to 470.141.03 driver version from the 470xx family, to regain the performance we used to have.

That sounds sensible. So just NIVIDIA ■■■■■■■ with us all again? xD

I will test this by backdating my drivers even further and then get back to you perhaps.

Uuuh if you don’t mind, could you help me write the correct console commands? I don’t want to accidentally do even more damage lol.

Did you use some custom entries in /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf ?

Mind you, but now i’m investigating how to do it properly for me too, because i can also screw things up. :rofl:
The thing is, we can’t use downgrade because now we switched to the video-nvidia. We need to switch back to video-nvidia-470xx and then downgrade video-nvidia-470xx from 470.161.03 to 470.141.03 version … but first i have to see how are the modules for the kennel, so i might actually try this on a separate install, once i get some time for it, and write how to do it (if nobody else will).
@Mirdarthos - have you done such thing before?

Right understood.

I don’t know what you mean by custom entries in /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf. I’m happy to try! But I pretty much need some hand holding. I hope that’s ok.

1 Like

Nope. Although my GPU is also older, a GeForce GTX 960, it works flawlessly. So I’ve never had to do anything of the sort.

1 Like

we have sisters GPUs

or are they brothers ? :laughing:

In theory, you should go with:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
then
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-470xx
to get back to the legacy drivers and then
sudo downgrade nvidia-470xx-utils

and chose from the list the 470.141.03 that was working fine for you prior to the update.

   ~  sudo downgrade nvidia-470xx-utils                                    ✔  23s  
sudo: downgrade: command not found

I did as you said and here’s where I got up to. Everything else worked fine so far

As you say it is only a problem with Proton which uses Vulkan and not OpenGL, Check you have Vulkan ICD Loader installed.

vulkan-icd-loader

And

lib32-vulkan-icd-loader

It isn’t just a problem with proton, but I’ll run these commands as well.

   ~  vulkan-icd-loader                                                          1 ✘ 
zsh: command not found: vulkan-icd-loader

You need to install downgrade package

Cousins! Related, but distanced.

But I’ve learned to keep a close :eye: on the #announcements, and deal with things accordingly. So I’ve skipped an Nvidia update before until next time, or the broken one is fixed.

   ~  sudo downgrade nvidia-470xx-utils                                        127 ✘ 
[sudo] password for twrecks: 

Downgrading from A.L.A. is disabled on the stable branch. To override this behavior, set DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA to 1.
See https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Downgrading_packages  for more details.

loading packages...
warning: downgrading package nvidia-470xx-utils (470.161.03-1 => 470.141.03-3)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-470xx-utils (470.141.03-3) breaks dependency 'nvidia-470xx-utils=470.161.03' required by lib32-nvidia-470xx-utils
:: installing nvidia-470xx-utils (470.141.03-3) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=470.161.03' required by linux515-nvidia-470xx

You don’t run it from terminal, see if it’s installed, just check with add/remove software or just try this in terminal:

sudo pacman -S vulkan-icd-loader

and

sudo pacman -S lib32-vulkan-icd-loader

   ~  sudo pacman -S vulkan-icd-loader                                    1 ✘  9s  
warning: vulkan-icd-loader-1.3.235-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

Packages (1) vulkan-icd-loader-1.3.235-1

Total Installed Size:  0.53 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                          [#############################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                        [#############################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                             [#############################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                       [#############################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                     [#############################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling vulkan-icd-loader                    [#############################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Refreshing PackageKit...
    ~                                                                        ✔  4s  

sudo pacman -S lib32-vulkan-icd-loader

warning: lib32-vulkan-icd-loader-1.3.235-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

Packages (1) lib32-vulkan-icd-loader-1.3.235-1

Total Installed Size:  0.55 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                          [#############################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                        [#############################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                             [#############################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                       [#############################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                     [#############################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling lib32-vulkan-icd-loader              [#############################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Refreshing PackageKit...

Hey everyone it’s getting pretty late where I’m at and I really probably should put my head on my pillow. I’ll come and check this when I wake up in the morning. Feel free to keep posting stuff and I’ll try it out and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Hi bogdancovaciu. Morning. What do I do about these driver dependancy issues?

I guess the downgrade is not so good at detecting all that needs downgraded in the same time, and i never run downgrade on more than one package.

You will have to replace/downgrade the

from 470.161.03 to 470.141.03 version in the same time with lib32-nvidia-470xx-utils and nvidia-utils
Will see if i can find something relevant in that regard.