Slow graphics issues after update 2022/06/12. Perhaps NVIDIA driver related

Then,

:bowing_man:

In the terminal.

Right. I thought you might be wanting me to add that command to the previous one or some such.

It’s running now.

Nah. Just like that.

Edit:

Just saw this, after a few seconds, press the elusive ANY to exit it, go back to the terminal, and copy the output from there.

Oh sorry just to clarify. I ran it properly. It’s just doing it’s thing.

Was your last message talking about if I’d run it incorrectly? Or were you saying that if I ran it properly then I should press the any key?

It shouldn’t take long, so see my edit:

I feel like a total idiot lol. I don’t see an any key. What are you talking about? :rofl: :sweat_smile:

Oh you mean like this?

   ~  glxheads                                                                     ✔ 
glxheads: exercise multiple GLX connections (any key = exit)
Usage:
  glxheads xdisplayname ...
Example:
  glxheads :0 mars:0 venus:1
Name: :0
  Display:     0x55c3c18421b0
  Window:      0x400002
  Context:     0x55c3c1992738
  GL_VERSION:  4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.60.11
  GL_VENDOR:   NVIDIA Corporation
  GL_RENDERER: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/PCIe/SSE2
 %                 
1 Like

In.deed.

Everything looks good to go, so I have no more help/assistance for you. You could always check that integrated graphics are disabled in the BIOS/UEFI - just for :poop: and giggles. Also to make :100: sure it’s not that.

Else, I have to say, short of an exorcist, I have no idea. And even that has no guarantee.

Edit:

Try the same with glxgears and provide the terminal output here:

$ glxgears                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           1 ↵
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
X connection to :0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
$

Damnit. Is there a way I can nuke my installation and start over but keep my data?

If you haven’t changed anything globally, all settings and data should be in your $HOME directory. So in theoryit should be as simple as:

cp -r ~ <backupPath>

Where:

• <backupPath> is the path where to backup your home directory;
  • ~ is a built-in alias/shortcut that points to your home directory.

Also, let’s find out if some reinforcements doesn’t perhaps have a better idea of what’s going on.

*Sending the Manjaro-signal to @bogdancovaciu*

Can confirm, haven’t changed anything yet. Also it was working fine before the latest update, so it’s probably only a small issue.

…one I’ll kick myself over for not thinking of…

Probably xD

Hello,

From what i read and see there should be no issue, unless:

• some custom xorg.conf is lurking in the /etc/X11/ when there should be only /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
  • was the /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf manually altered?
  • your system might require early KMS to be enabled

From what i know the RTX 3080 will perform faster on PCIe v3 or 4 … Not sure, is it connected on the proper port internally ?

Mine is quite old PC and GPU and is normal to have it like that and be slow in comparison with newer models and motherboards

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nvidia
    v: 525.60.11 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 520.xx+
    process: TSMC 28nm built: 2014-19 pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 16
    ports: active: none off: DVI-D-1,DVI-I-1 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1
    bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1401 class-ID: 0300
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.5
    compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X: loaded: nvidia gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch
    display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x1080 s-dpi: 101 s-size: 966x272mm (38.03x10.71")
    s-diag: 1004mm (39.51")
  Monitor-1: DVI-D-1 mapped: DVI-D-0 note: disabled pos: right
    model: Cintiq 22HD serial: <filter> built: 2014 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60
    dpi: 102 gamma: 1.2 size: 476x268mm (18.74x10.55") diag: 546mm (21.5")
    ratio: 16:9 modes: max: 1920x1080 min: 640x480
  Monitor-2: DVI-I-1 note: disabled pos: primary,left
    model: LG (GoldStar) W2253 serial: <filter> built: 2009 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60
    dpi: 102 gamma: 1.2 size: 477x268mm (18.78x10.55") diag: 547mm (21.5")
    ratio: 16:9 modes: max: 1920x1080 min: 640x480
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.60.11 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    960/PCIe/SSE2 direct render: Yes

One thing i do in KDE Plasma is to add:
ForceCompositionPipeline=On
to Section "Screen" to my both monitors set as fixed layout, and

Option         "TripleBuffer"  "On"
    Option  "ConnectToAcpid"    "Off"

in Section "Device" of my /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf and i use the /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh with:

export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

in it.

In System Settings i make sure the Compositor is set like this

@TWrecks - have you tried a newer kernel? See with the 6 one.

I’m sorry bogdancovaciu, I’m having a bit of trouble parsing what exactly you want me to do.

How do I answer you here? Would you like me to dive right into updating my kernel?

The graphics card was working fine just before the most recent patch. I don’t think there’s an issue with how it’s plugged in. I haven’t changed it since it was working correctly.

You initially had the video-nvidia-470xx installed and working fine. With the update, came a newer version of the 470xx nvidia drivers

So, prior to 470.161.03 nvidia driver family, there was 470.141.03 version, and that was working fine for you. After update you noticed a decrees in performance. Then you switched to video-nvidia = that is the latest family with the version 525.60.11 that i know for sure has multiple regressions in performance, vaapi mentioned here Issue after upgrading to 525 series drivers · Issue #126 · elFarto/nvidia-vaapi-driver · GitHub and also discussed on cuEGLStreamProducerConnect returns error 801 on 525.53 driver - #7 by elFarto - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
and i doubt somehow that for some GPU models this issue got fixed

Somehow i was actually hoping that by mentioning all the above you will disprove my initial concerns, and you actually did, because i didn’t much say what you can do, but what to look for, and now, as conclusion - it seems that also the latest legacy drivers introduced regressions and we should go back to 470.141.03 driver version from the 470xx family, to regain the performance we used to have.

That sounds sensible. So just NIVIDIA ■■■■■■■ with us all again? xD

I will test this by backdating my drivers even further and then get back to you perhaps.

Uuuh if you don’t mind, could you help me write the correct console commands? I don’t want to accidentally do even more damage lol.

Did you use some custom entries in /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf ?

Mind you, but now i’m investigating how to do it properly for me too, because i can also screw things up. :rofl:
The thing is, we can’t use downgrade because now we switched to the video-nvidia. We need to switch back to video-nvidia-470xx and then downgrade video-nvidia-470xx from 470.161.03 to 470.141.03 version … but first i have to see how are the modules for the kennel, so i might actually try this on a separate install, once i get some time for it, and write how to do it (if nobody else will).
@Mirdarthos - have you done such thing before?

Right understood.

I don’t know what you mean by custom entries in /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf. I’m happy to try! But I pretty much need some hand holding. I hope that’s ok.

1 Like

Nope. Although my GPU is also older, a GeForce GTX 960, it works flawlessly. So I’ve never had to do anything of the sort.

1 Like

we have sisters GPUs

or are they brothers ? :laughing:

In theory, you should go with:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
then
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-470xx
to get back to the legacy drivers and then
sudo downgrade nvidia-470xx-utils

and chose from the list the 470.141.03 that was working fine for you prior to the update.