Should gnome edition default to Wayland session?

Similarly, i get scrolling issues with telegram if I force qt apps to use Wayland. If I permit xwayland, the issue disappears.

Chromium not working properly does seem a major issue, even though we default to Firefox.

I canā€™t get VA-API hardware acceleration to work in Firefox on X11 or Wayland.

1 Like

I think you need to install Xwayland that X client runs under Wayland.

I do have xwayland installedā€¦:upside_down_face:

Okay, I got gcolor3 to work! :partying_face:

The package in the Manjaro repository is not functional at all on Wayland (outdated).

I had to install the AUR version, which again didnā€™t work as it was missing two dependencies.

• xdg-desktop-portal

• xdg-desktop-portal-gtk+

Now it works flawlessly!! :smile:

2 Likes

Also Auto Move Windows and Pop Shell donā€™t play nice together on Wayland. Most of the time an application opens on the current workspace instead of the preset one.

Not tried it in Manjaro, but VNCā€™ing into CentOS Gnome VM with Wayland (which seemed to be enabled by default there) was miserable experience ā€“ only Firefox opened and everything else failed, even the gnome own settings and terminal and file manager didnā€™t even open. Didnā€™t have a clue what might have caused it and figuring it out wasted like half a day. Uncommenting WaylandEnable=false in the gdm config and restarting it was the fix.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: Fractional scaling in gnome is available only in wayland afaik.

Well, there is the mutter-x11-sc package with the Ubuntu patch.

1 Like

:shushing_face:

Just realised that I can get around this by setting GDK_BACKEND=x11 to use XWayland. Ergo, back to zero issues in defaulting to Wayland.

Just a quick question. Iā€™m using Manjaro Gnome. If I enable ā€œWayland sessionā€ in Layouts Switcher

immagine

and reboot, Iā€™m on Wayland, right? Is there a way to ā€œtestā€ if Iā€™m using Wayland (as I havenā€™t noticed differences so far)? Thanks.

After enabling Wayland and rebooting as youā€™ve done, the default session is Wayland. You can verify by running:

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

Thanks. Yes, itā€™s Wayland.

Actually, Iā€™ve found a not-so-small minus in Wayland compared to X. When some applications freeze, in X you can restart gnome-shell while keeping all apps open (and all information is retained). Instead, on Wayland, forcing a restart of gnome-shell equals to logging out and logging back in ā€“ and you restart the whole session. Iā€™ve done a bit of searching and it seems that this is feature and not a bugā€¦

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s a known feature. Not a desired one, but known.

1 Like

My software never have bugs.

They just develop random features. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Iā€™m all for it!

I was having hibernation issue on a macbook (touchpad issues after waking up and some times just a black screen). So after reading this thread I decided to try wayland and it fixed the touchpad and blank screen issues as far as I can tell.

It feels snappier, and the touchpad feel more natural (it doesnā€™t stop scrolling the second you lift your finger, there is momentum). I have not seen any major issues so far.

3 Likes

What is the status of the above in regards to Gnome-Next, as of today? :thinking:

whats the name of that app?
iā€™m on a rpi400, i had to do a minimal install & add gnome, so not sure what iā€™m missing from a normal manjaro gnome install.

never mind, found it. gnome-layout-switcher
no arm version i guess.

2 Likes