Select your username and enter password

I am a complete beginner to Manjaro (and, for that matter, Linux), and in my utter foolishness I think I messed up. Now, I can no longer log in; all that appears is the below image (see comment)

Summary

How do I fix this problem?

what happened, the picture is not avaiable but maybe you can explain it ?

Can you see the image now?

What happens if you click the image?

yes it is visible now.
what happens if you use the arrow left (in the middle of the display)

Nothing. I can only type in my password, but to no effect

I can drag the image, but not click on it.

What do you mean, “to no effect”? Are you simply referring to the fact that you cannot see the password you’re typing — which is exactly how it’s supposed to be — or does entering your password and then hitting Enter have no effect at all?

Typing in my password and then pressing the ‘Enter’ button does not work. I cannot log in to my computer.

Either explain what this actually is aka what you actually did or solve it by: reverting your utter foolishness.

okay that’s a step forward. so you can access the input and type in your password, but it is not accepted. so far we are all sticking in the dark.
first things first, do you have a laptop and the numeric mode is active by accident ? in this case you would send numbers instead of chars.

let’s try it from console, at this login prompt please use STRG-ALT-F4 to change to a console, if this works type in your login-name and then your password. does that work ? if you are logged in you can simply reboot with

sudo reboot
1 Like

I was able to go into the console and reboot my machine, but it didn’t work; I still cannot log in. As I explained in another comment, I think I seriously messed up. I think the only way to save my system is to reinstall Manjaro, which I don’t know how to do

what do you think about such a sentence if you would read it on my side ?
you could log in to console but you could not ? hey this is so curious, can you understand that this only confuses?
please what was functioning and what did not ?

Zbe. I’m not exactly sure what I did; I was trying to install something, and I think I accidentally deleted everything that is based on Python code. I believe that includes a variety of commands, such as the vital pacman. When I typed in sudo pacman -Syu, a message appeared: ‘pacman command not found’. I think I seriously messed up.

How to boot from USB into live Manjaro (for repair):

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots … below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.
2 Likes

See, I just spared others 50 posts of questions. :smiley:

Boot live iso, mount your / drive to /mnt, and post your /mnt/var/log/pacman.log.
Or just reinstall.

2 Likes

How did you manage to do it the first time?
If you did install it the first time, then you do it the same way - but when it comes to entering a password, perhaps you should write it down.

Thank you - problem solved by reinstallation.

Awesome solution.

what else ? i marked it as solution because he opened the thread and declared this as solution. a lot of ways end in rome finally.