Screen Brightness Changing Randomly

System Information

Laptop: MSI Modern 14
CPU: Ryzen 5 5500U
RAM: 16gb DDR4 3200
HDD/SSD: 1TB EVO970 PLUS

Current Issue

• Screen Brightness is randomly adjusting itself in 1 direction. Over time to 100%, same in opposite direction. Currently while editing the format of this post it’s gone from 55% to 90% in 5% increments.

Things I’ve tried

• I’ve set all the power settings to 100% screen brightness, doesn’t effect anything. I’ve tried setting laptop to performance mode in BIOS and swapped the FN with F1-F12 keys.

I seen some other users are having same issue in a locked thread, I’m up to try anything.

Hi @Saintality, and welcome!

In order for us, or anyone for that matter, to be able to help you, more information is necessary. To that end, please see:

Hope you manage!

I hope this formatting is sufficient.

To be :100: honest, not really. There’s a lot more info on how to give the necessary information in the links I gave you, and the ``` pre-formatted text ``` blocks aren’t used correctly, or for the correct information.

Please read it carefully.

How about now? :wink:

1 Like

Haha! Thank you! I just sat down to read more carefully through what he linked me. I appreciate the assist!!

I am still having this issue but I found out something over the past half a year. If I NEVER adjust screen brightness using the FN keys; it stays where its set. If I adjust using a key in either direction it will keep adjusting in 5% increments in that direction until it hits 100% or 0%. A reboot solves this unless you adjust it again.

Sounds like a sticky key to me…

reboot solves it though… key fully depresses and messing with it doesn’t change. its like timed adjustments and didn’t do it in windows

I also have the same issue with the 15 inch version of this model and I am sure it is not a sticky key problem. As a temporary fix I disabled brightness control keys from shortcut settings.