RX Vega 64 only supports MPEG2

I am trying to get video acceleration working in Firefox, but about:support shows that my hardware doesn’t support any hardware acceleration what so ever.

My system
Manjaro Linux x86_64 with 6.5.5-1-MANJARO kernel
Plasma 5.27.8 Wayland session
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB of ram
AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 64

According to Archlinux wiki’s Hardware video acceleration page, the Vega 64 should support h264, h265 and AV1, but when I run vainfo I get

$ vainfo
Trying display: wayland
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.20 (libva 2.20.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 23.1.8-manjaro1.1 for AMD Radeon RX Vega (vega10, LLVM 16.0.6, DRM 3.54, 6.5.5-1-MANJARO)
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc

As far as I know, my hardware is not broken. I have installed all the relevant packages and my system is fully upgraded. Please ask for more info, I do not know what is relevant here.

This is expected since Manjaro, unlike Arch, does not support hardware acceleration for most video codecs on AMD.

See:

https://nonfree.eu/

That page explained nothing. What is it?

If you use the search function of the forum you will find a lot of other threads.

See the “Notable Package Updates” section in the first post.

Welcome to the forum. I can help with that:

Enjoy your visit. Cheers.

Thank you all for your replies. That is a really unfortunate state of things, but I do understand. I believe my problem is then solved. (Well, resolved)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.