Qt Creator will not work on Manjaro. I'm desperate

I just dragged the rectangle into the window on a new project and used the properties pane to change the color to red in the picker. The rectangle should be shown in red. Furthermore there is no window, just a plain grey background even though the window has a size. I cannot interact with the rect in any way. If I try to click on the label the blue outline just disappears.

The window appears as a tiny dot in the screen that I can only see if I zoom to 1600x. I think it’s the window, it’s just a white dot really.

This is getting ridiculous and more of a personal matter
where one party can’t convince the other whether they did something wrong or not.

This does not belong here.

I just want to get this to work any way I can. If I’m doing something wrong, fine, correct me. I’m sitting here wondering if I am even putting the rectangle in the window properly. But it must be something really obscure that I’m doing wrong if it hasn’t been discovered yet. And there really isn’t much to skip mentioning; I am literally installing the OS just before I try the Manjaro packages.

Instead of using your current system - create a virtual machine - install a supported linux and install qt

Ok a couple problems with that. Qt needs at least 5Gb ram and that’s a lot to assign to a virtual machine. And also I have tried KVM and Virtual Box. They are all slow and there is no desktop integration. VMWare is fine but is expensive.

I will try it for a test. Probably virtualbox. But I don’t think it will be very usable or workable to do that in the long term. Also I was never able to get Manjaro to boot on virtualbox so which OS would you recommend?

I don’t know where you got that number

As long as you do not overprovision the vm - that is if your system has 8G ram you can easily run a vm with 6G ram - no problems.

Manjaro boot fine on VirtualBox

With a Manjaro guest - you don’t need the guest additions ISO - simply install virtualbox-guest-utils

You have a lot to learn …

The guest additions ISO never worked properly for me. Video would not scale with the window. I will try again. This is a different system.

Come on that’s total NONSENSE ! KVM/Qemu is the most powerful VM that is a way above limited implementations as virtualbox or vmware !
KVM/Qemu needs a lot of experience and knowledge and that’s imho the problem on your side.
Use a VM of your choice, install qt6 as recommended and everything is fine.
and btw. what do you mean with “missing desktop integration” ? be precise and explain straight what you’re talking about.

@malibu
i’m running the following machines as VM using KVM/Qemu:

Acorn-RiscV (the allmighty BBC’s),Atari 400/800 , Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 130, Commodore 64 , Commodore Amiga, Playstation 3, Atari ST/STE, Atari Falcon , 68HC08, NXP-Arm-Controller, Raspberry-Broadcom-Arm, Hackintosh, MS-Windows10 and so forth.
tell me how to do this huge flexibility with virtualbox or vmware !

1 Like

I had to use KVM for work once and it was horrible. The VM ran much slower than the host. There was no way to share the clipboard and there was only VNC available to access the desktop. But, yeah, it could have been that they didn’t configure it properly I guess. Also that was around 7 years ago.

that’s the problem: they didn’t configure, it’s your job to configure it

I’m off this topic…

1 Like

No I’m in a high security job. I’m not allowed to change the configuration of my own workstation.

ask your admin, he will know how to do it

My admin? I have a 1-800 number to call for a helpdesk in india.

Then don’t waste our time - call 1-800-i-need-to-use-qt6

:wave:

1 Like

if you’re in a “high-security-job” and your admin is a 1-800 number in india then it’s time to think about the future :rofl:
i can’t believe what your talking about…

2 Likes

I tried. I opened a bug report but they haven’t answered it yet. One person asked me a question and I answered it and it is sitting unresolved.

And yeah I’m going to resist continuing the line of conversation about what huge companies consider secure these days.

So I tried to install Virtualbox and it didn’t work but I think that’s because my CPU doesn’t support virtualization. I have another small lenovo box, maybe it will.

You are in that situation, on a Manjaro system, using it?
And can’t actually do stuff but have to rely on a 1-800 call to a help desk in India?
whow

No the Manjaro machine is my personal machine. My work laptop is a newer Thinkpad with windows. But we used to use linux and at that point we weren’t really allowed to change the configuration of anything because they didn’t want anyone to open an exploit. I wish I could try Qt on my work laptop but we aren’t allowed to install any open source except for a small list.

please close this topic before someone else will do it for you. this whole topic is a useless waste of time. i’m 100% convinced that your admin knew what he’s doing to limit your access rights at your working computer.

edit: i close this thread now, we are no clowns. case closed !

2 Likes