Qt Creator will not work on Manjaro. I'm desperate

Hi there, I have been trying to install Qt Creator in KDE Manjaro for around a month now. Basically it crashes on me as soon as I use the graphical designer. Apparently no one has a problem with it on the Qt Forum. I am asking here in desperation.

I have tried both the Qt installer and the Qt Creator Arch package. The installer works a bit better, it seems to be configured properly at least with the examples and things. The Arch package install seems to be incomplete. The examples are blank and there is no compilation possible. At first I was told that it needed a GPU, so fine I bought a PC with a Radeon 550 and all the displays look fine. glxinfo says I am direct rendering and glxgears runs at 60 FPS.

Yet for some reason the closest I can get is a crash a few minutes into using the designer page. Does anyone know what this could be? Thank you.

Since you spoke of only one package:

Arch Linux - Package Search

there are two - and you may only have one installed.

But I do not know the first thing about the software nor do I use it.

Install qtcreator-devel and look at the optional dependencies of qtcreator for other bits like qt6-examples and qt6-doc.

You can also try to install QT Creator from flatpak…

I suspect you have either a foreign package providing something which is also in the repo or your system is not in sync with the latest packages.

What is the output from

pacman -Qqem

As commonly done with any Linux app: run it from terminal, it will spit everything it can when the crash happens.

1 Like

Yes I had tried that. All that happens in the terminal is a segfault. I even ran it in gdb and looked at the stack trace and posted it on the Qt site. There weren’t any ideas. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I did have qt-examples installed and now I have installed qtcreator-devel and it does the same thing. I have looked for documentation stating the requirements for the arch package but even in the AUR site there wasn’t anything.

But… Unfortunately it is still crashing.

There is no output to
pacman -Qqem

Also the software store says all up to date.

Please, keep the ideas coming!

I think I may have to just install another OS, maybe Ubuntu Gnome or something like that, and try it there.

Well - I have no issues with qt creator … I cannot say why I don’t - perhaps because I am using the edge branch called unstable.

I is fairly easy to test

sudo pacman-mirrors -aS unstable
sudo pacman -Syu

I’m trying it… Right at the end of the package install I got this error:

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1. Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1. Check your device.map.

Important?

Unfortunately unstable does the same thing.

Does this error mean anything? It happens just after starting Qt Creator… I found it in my journal log:

Mar 12 15:21:04 cutie plasmashell[6029]: Failed to initialize instances shared memory:  "QSharedMemory::handle: doesn't exist"

Also this happens in the terminal when Qt Creator dies:

qt.accessibility.atspi: Error in contacting registry: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected" "Not connected to D-Bus server"
PropertyEditor: invalid node for setup
qtc.imagecontainer.debug: void QmlDesigner::readSharedMemory(qint32, QmlDesigner::ImageContainer&) Not able to create image: 0 0 0
qtc.imagecontainer.debug: void QmlDesigner::readSharedMemory(qint32, QmlDesigner::ImageContainer&) Not able to create image: 0 0 0
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)

So apparently this is an issue in Qt Creator built with Qt 6.6.0+. I tried to link to the bug report but I cannot. It was opened december 2023.

So the only way to create QML is Qt Creator 11 or Qt Design Studio or manual. I didn’t see a Manjaro package for design studio…

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

No. Not important.

Please note the answer above if you missed it. Thanks for the assistance.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I have been using Qt Creator to view and read source code from various projects - I have no crashes - thus the question - what are you trying to do?

And my version of Qt Creator is 12.0.2-3

Can you produce a project which when loaded will cause the crash ?

Can you produce a set of steps which leads to a crash ?

I didn’t know such thing existed …

If you choose in Qt Creator → File → New → Qt template → Qt Designer Form - I reckon it will be something similar

It is quite possible the Design Studio is a commercial offer - thus there is no PKGBUILD because the source cannot be retrieved.

To get Qt Design Studio you need an Qt Account and Qt Account Login is the place to sign up.

Then you can use the Qt online installer to install into your home folder.

Thank you for jumping in on this. These are the steps that I use to reproduce the error:

1. Use unified Qt installer to custom install Qt 6, Qt Creator, Qt Design Studio, cmake g++ under /home/user/Qt
  2. Start Qt Creator
  3. Install Qt Designer Plugin
  4. Create project… QtQuick application
  5. Run cmake and build
  6. Use file browser, double click on Screen1.ui.qml
  7. Now in designer, add a rectangle to the visible window.
  8. Go to the properties pane and change the color of the rectangle.

Crash will happen in a few seconds. In fact it seems to have to do with any way I manipulate the property pane.

And yes I have 12.0.2-3 as well.

If I delete the Qt installer directory and install all the Qt6 Manjaro packages there are no kits or examples.

Why didn’t you install from repositories as above? If there’s a problem with a third-party installer go to them for support.

I did also go to them for support and it was of no use.

let me install all the packages again.

Update: I already had all the qt6 packages installed so I left that. I uninstalled qtcreator and qtcreator-devel and then installed them. There was no deps because I had already installed them. I got the same thing. No examples, no kits. One oddity is that the package isn’t creating a menu entry but I launch it from the “app store” to make sure it’s the correct one.

I reinstalled Manjaro and installed the packages immediately. Still no dice. There are no examples and no kits. I first did an update, then I installed everything qt6- with all dependencies, then I installed qtcreator and qtcreator-devel.

I’m out of ideas I’m afraid. All I can suggest is try it on a different distro and see if it works there. Could install Ubuntu or something in a VM.

Yeah I guess it has come to that. Thanks for trying.