Please add LibreWolf to the manjaro repository

Hi,

please add LibreWolf to the manjaro repository. LibreWolf is a fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom. I know, it is in AUR. But AUR is no trusted plattform.

https://librewolf.net/

Thank you very much.

2 Likes

In the feature requests catagory you can find

Please read before requesting the addition of a package to the Manjaro repos:

Be aware: unless thereā€™s an obvious need (or e.g. the package is unique) the answer will probably be ā€œnoā€, and especially so if itā€™s already in the AUR.

Maintaining packages take a lot of time. Adding a package is not a one-off event and requires work by the package maintainer. Therefore, unless the package maintainer uses the software itā€™s very unlikely they will maintain a new package.

1 Like

There is also a Flatpak of Librewolf you can install.

1 Like

Did you see the official website ā†’ It recommend you install it from AUR?

pamac install librewolf-bin

If you want to install packages from AUR using the Pamac CLI you should use the command pamac build.

That is the case with most of the things on the AUR but not here as the file is already compiled as a binary file.

1 Like

Ah, so I have learned something again. Many thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

[Edit:]

Note for the interested reader: Please read on! :arrow_down:

If you blindly install packages from AUR maybe.

I ā€œtrustā€ an AUR package more than any pre-built package that comes from (whatever) repository because I can review what it does and what the source is.

1 Like

Not really, Pamac is just good enough to fallback to a ā€˜buildā€™ command when user wrongfully tries to ā€˜installā€™ a foreign package. Example with nvtop-git:

[omano@omano-nvme ~]$ pamac install nvtop-git  
Warning: nvtop-git is only available from AUR
Preparing...
Cloning nvtop-git build files...
Generating nvtop-git information...
Checking nvtop-git dependencies...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To install (1):
  cuda       11.5.1-1             (Required By: nvtop-git)     community  1,3 GB
To build (1):
  nvtop-git  1.2.2.r4.gabdec70-1                               AUR
To remove (1):
  nvtop      1.2.2-1              (Conflicts With: nvtop-git)  community

Total download size: 1,3 GB
Total installed size: 3,9 GB
Total removed size: 94,1 kB

Edit build files : [e] 
Apply transaction ? [e/y/N] 

install is for repositories package, build is for AUR.

Using install to build an AUR package works, but it is wrong, the same as using sudo with Pamac, it works, but it is wrong.

2 Likes

What @omano said and additionally this only works if you have the appropriate line in pamacā€™s settings/config commented out, i.e. if you donā€™t allow pamac to install from the AUR, pamac install would not fallback and you would need to build with pamac build, which is the correct one.

3 Likes

Thanks, I wasnā€™t under that impression because it failed back and worked, though I did think that it failed back the other way around lol.

I thought it depended if the target was compiling from source vs a binary. I did some reading to clarify, thanks.

IMHO this package is very unique and due to its unique features, it would be beneficial for Manjaro users to add it to the system.

Package from AUR, based on Arch dependencies, sometimes wonā€™t start, due to older versions of libraries in Manjaro (e.g. LibreWolf 100.0.1 cannot be installed at present, because required package gcc-libs> = 12.1 is missing in Manjaro) .

So, I join the request from this thread to add LibreWolf to Manjaro.

In what way is it unique?
Isnā€™t it just a Firefox rebrand with better security/privacy stuff?

Yes. High security and privacy level, with a superior performance, according to a reliable, general browser test WebXPRT 4 + my personal (subjective :wink: ) feel.

You mean this gcc-libs Manjaro - Branch Compare?
There is also an AppImage available Other Linux Installation ā€“ LibreWolf.

Using Stable branch with AUR package for sure is not ideal. Using the Unstable branch is preferable if you use AUR packages with frequent updates or updates you donā€™t want to skip.

Yes.
But as stability is one of my priority I will wait for gcc-libs >= 12.1 in Manjaro stable.
(Fortunately LibreWolf 100.0.1 is not a security update, so I could downgrade LibreWolf and wait).

There is a new update 100.0.2. This time it is a security Fix, both for LibreWolf and Firefox, so it is a stronger argument for adding this package to Manjaro.

1 Like

An official Flatpak, AppImage and 3rd-party binary AUR package are already available.

1 Like