Don´t want BTRFS snapshots during an AUR update

It is almost on default settings, I have not set anything special. I installed Manjaro KDE in January with a BTRFS filesystem. By default timeshift takes a snapshot every day. I turned that off in the GUI. Now every update (pamac upgrade -a) takes a snapshot. I have not set this up separately.

I just don’t want a snapshot to be taken on an AUR update. I want to continue using pamac.

pamac upgrade && SKIP_AUTOSNAP=pamac upgrade -a

Maybe should it work like this?

I think it should be SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 pamac upgrade -a

Is there a rational reason you don’t want to make snapshots when installing AUR packages? That doesn’t make sense to me.

I think, when using many AUR packages e.g. 30+ packages, that would be a lot of work to create a new snapshot for each AUR package in a day.

Creating a snapshot manually would make sense.

Indeed if it takes a snapshot for each AUR package and you have many, then yes in this case I would understand. But I definitely would want a snapshot taken after all AUR packages are installed/updated.

On the other hand, with BTRFS snapshots are instantaneous so what’s the deal here?

Taking snapshots in Btrfs is almost “free”. The current status of the file system is noted without any additional effort. Only the release of free memory is delayed until the snapshot is deleted.

The effort for snapshots arises when they are deleted. Snapshots that are deleted after a short time (e.g. within a day) lead to an almost negligible effort.

In this respect, it would also be possible to create the snapshot (automatically) and delete it in the course of a day

The effort that arises when deleting a snapshot is exactly the effort that btrfs was able to save when creating the snapshot. So it’s almost a zero-sum game.

pamac upgrade && SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 pamac upgrade -a

Does not work. :frowning: I have a new snapshot. :sob:

He means SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 pamac upgrade -a.
But it does not help what I tested.

sudo SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 pamac upgrade -a works for me. You need to run sudo

Thanks I wait for the next update. :smiley:

Hmmmm… Is the build process as root?

Yes, that is what the readme said:

Autosnaphot can be temporarily skipped by setting SKIP_AUTOSNAP environment variable (e.g. sudo SKIP_AUTOSNAP= pacman -Syu)

Read the codeline, if you understand bash

I do not understand the answer. Where does it say in the link if it is built as root?

No, it has nothing to do with build package.

So I inserted the gpg key from librewolf-bin months ago with:

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com --search-keys 031F7104E932F7BD7416E7F6D2845E1305D6E801

I built librewolf-bin with “pamac build librewolf-bin”.

An update with “pamac upgrade -a” the build dir is /var/tmp/pamac-build-benutzer/. Works fine

But with “sudo pamac upgrade -a” is the build dir /var/cache/pamac. Pamac ends with GPG error

So it does not work with sudo.

I see, timeshift-autosnap supports pacman well, not pamac.
But pacman does not support AUR. Then try yay that would ignore timeshift-autosnap?

I have a look.

It will build the package but still use pacman to install it.

What are the “yay” command line arguments to

1. do only normal Manjaro updates
  2. only Aur updates

Or would it be like this?

pamac upgrade && SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 sudo yay

I guess sudo SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 yay -Syu --aur updates only AUR.

I refer to post Nr.3, and don’t use sudo yay !!!