Only a few ram read

Hi manjaro is only reading around 817 megs out of the 2gb that came with my laptop and while most thigns run ok i have noticed that the less ram read has shown a fair amount of performance drop compared to before, I would like to verify wether it is a hardware issue ie a ram chip in the ram stick died or if its a software issue and I could be wrong and maybe how it could be fixed? Thx :slight_smile: edit: I did noticee a performance drop undernwindows toobefire changing is but still would like a double check, however I do still get better speed under Manjaro than windows but still less than usual so just wanted to knw.

No operating system can make use of more than the system has to offer.

Check the system firmware on boot - the first page usually shows the RAM found.

Or use

inxi

Please provide Information:

My laptop is an early 2008 MacBook so I’m a bit unsure how I would access that information however when I ran screen fetch it showed me that only 817mb out of the available 2gb of ram was being used although do you think if I put the ram from another machine I had put ram in might fix the issue? Incase it is a chip that might have died on the ram ? When I open my laptop later I will send a screenshot of what the screen fetch mentions. Ty

Please don’t! post screenshots - if you are a new member, you are not allowed to anyway …
Screenshots have their use cases - but this is not one of them.
run inxi instead.

For example:
inxi -Fazy
in a terminal
and copy/paste the output
highlight it
and format it using the button </> above.

Ok ty :slight_smile:

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.15.25-1-MANJARO
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Uptime: 43m
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Packages: 1229
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Shell: bash 5.1.16
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Resolution: 1280x800
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ DE: Xfce4
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM: Xfwm4
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM Theme: Cloudy-Solid-SoftBlue-Light
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ GTK Theme: Cloudy-Solid-SoftBlue-Light [GTK2]
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Icon Theme: RetroWave-Icons
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Font: Noto Sans 10
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Disk: 20G / 111G (19%)
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo T8100 @ 2x 2.1GHz
GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM (CL)
RAM: 837MiB / 1957MiB

(I wrote screenfetch in terminal because while not much more inxi showed ram than screenfetch so I was a little confused, but here is the copy and pasted information :slight_smile: )

That would have provided much more info but oh well …

You have 2GB of Ram with 837MiB of it used - which is perfectly normal.
That is how I read what you chose to post.

3 Likes

ok, tysm.