Not able to download any files to sub directory folders

Since the latest update 5/13, When I download anything (on Google Chrome, pdf, images whatever) the save button does nothing when in sub-directories. Sometimes* it will end up saving 1 directory deep from home directory but not all the time so not sure what the issue is. As it stands, right now I have to save to the home directory and then move the files into the folders I want them to be at manually. I am thankful that at least that works as something seems to have gotten borked with the file system on the update, but still quite annoying as I have to move every file manually.

Something must be broken in regards to the GTK file picker (and/or a related dependency).

This apparently happens with GNOME and Xfce, with Chromium and Google Chrome.

So this might be a bug with the package xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.

On my Xfce system, it’s not installed and I don’t have the issues as described.

:point_down:

Interesting, So I removed xdg-desktop-portal-gnome and that removed, but can’t remove xdg-desktop-portal, I get the message:

could not satisfy dependencies:

• removing xdg-desktop-portal breaks dependency ‘xdg-desktop-portal’ required by flatpak

Removing just the xdg-desktop-portal-gnome didn’t seem to fix it

Interesting! I don’t use Flatpak, so that might explain why I was easily able to have a system without those aforementioned “portal” packages. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hm, so I take it that the issue lies further “up” towards the umbrella package.

EDIT: Wait. Which portal packages do you have installed?

Do you have xdg-desktop-portal-gtk installed, per chance?

I’m on Arch, and have experienced the exact same thing. I also use Cinnamon, so what others have suggested seems to be the case, i.e. that the problem is with Gnome.

The bug is even worse for me after the manjaro updates from May 24th.
Now there is no name in the Save Dialog name field. I’ve had lots of problems with GTK3 and 4 bugs. I have even switched LibreOffice to use Qt instead.