Chromium file dialog is not using the default file manager

Now I’m nervous that Google did it again with their updates, without a means to reverse it. :disappointed: I’ll update my Xfce system and see if it happens to me too.

Try toggling the “prompt me for location” setting for your “downloads preference”. Enable-disable-enable-disable a few times to maybe “reset” a broken config file.

I tried that, I set the value to disable asking me where to store the file, and to save it the default “Location”. It download the file like it should.
I re-enabled the ask to save each file, and selected another directory that differs from the default “Location” setting, it fails to download any files.
But I found an odd quirk about the download dialog window, if I choose a different directory and then select the “create new folder” and then save the file into that new folder within this different directory the file will save into that directory/folder.

In the meantime, try a new Chromium profile with no extensions, fresh profile folder. See if it works like normal. (Just be careful not to accidentally delete your current profile, since it holds all your bookmarks, settings, and extensions.)

In fact, to be safe, make a backup copy of your entire ~/.config/chromium folder.

I tried the default “guest” profile and that had the same download file picker dialog GUI as mentioned before, same issue with selecting different directory to save downloading file as described before.
I created a new profile and that too had the same issue I’ve describe with the “guest” profile.

Again, thank you very much for helping me out!

I updated my Xfce system, including Chromium (version 101.0.4951.64-0.2).

No matter what combination I tried, I cannot re-create either of your issues.

1. My file dialog honors my “green” theme.
  2. Saving to any directory works without any issues at all.

What error messages do you see when you try to save to a non-default folder? :face_with_monocle:

If it helps, run chromium from the terminal, in case it outputs any errors the moment you try to save a file.

At first I want to say this is a permissions issue, but then why does it work fine under Firefox?

I ran a fresh process of Chromium in my terminal and tried to download any file and saved it in another directory, there was no output to the terminal when the file fails to download. I tried to download a file into the default “Location” directory and it too had nothing displayed on the terminal.
I decided to check the Task Manager’s “identify an open window by clicking it” tool and clicked on a Chromium open “save file” dialog and Task Manager pointed that it was an “xdg-desktop-portal-gnome” process. I tried that with Firefox’s open “save file” dialog window for downloading a file and Task Manager pointed to Firefox’s process instead.
So I searched on Google for “manjaro chromium xdg-desktop-portal-gnome” and found some links to people having issues with the “save-as” dialog not coming up at all: 'Save as' Dialog not showing on Chrome and Telegram (#4803) · Issues · GNOME / gtk · GitLab, the solution for this person was to downgrade xdg-desktop-portal-gnome. I would have liked to try that but in the “Add/Remove Software” I can’t seem to find older version of this to even try it. They also link to a reddit post about the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments/tn8m2x/save_as_dialogue_not_showing_on_chrome_and/i21huqj/, and how to replicate it and also get terminal output of xdg-desktop-portal-gnome, and I did that to see what happens when I try to save a file in a directory outside of the default “Location”.

/usr/lib/xdg-desktop-portal-gnome -v -r

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:32.666: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6100:3-36: No property named "-GtkTreeView-horizontal-separator"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:32.666: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6101:3-34: No property named "-GtkTreeView-vertical-separator"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:32.666: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6159:3-29: No property named "-GtkTreeView-expander-size"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:32.666: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6192:3-37: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-arrow-width"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:32.666: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6193:3-38: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-arrow-height"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:32.666: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6194:3-39: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-border-radius"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:32.666: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6195:3-38: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-border-width"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:32.666: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6196:3-37: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-shadow-size"
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.FileChooser
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Account
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.AppChooser
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Background
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Lockdown
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Print
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Screenshot
XDP: org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse schema not found
XDP: org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings schema not found
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/11-lcdfilter-default.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-dejavu-lgc-sans-mono.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-dejavu-lgc-sans.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-dejavu-lgc-serif.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-dejavu-serif.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-win32-aliases.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/44-source-han-sans-cn.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/44-source-han-sans-jp.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/44-source-han-sans-kr.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/46-noto-mono.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/46-noto-sans.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/46-noto-serif.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/48-spacing.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/57-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/57-dejavu-sans.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/57-dejavu-serif.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/58-dejavu-lgc-sans-mono.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/58-dejavu-lgc-sans.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/58-dejavu-lgc-serif.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/62-google-crosextra-carlito.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-kufi.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-mono.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-serif.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/66-noto-mono.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/66-noto-sans.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/66-noto-serif.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-unifont.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-bookman.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-c059.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-d050000l.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-fallback-backwards.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-fallback-generics.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-fallback-specifics.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-gothic.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-nimbus-mono-ps.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-nimbus-roman.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-nimbus-sans.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-p052.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-standard-symbols-ps.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/69-urw-z003.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/75-yes-terminus.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf
XDP: Monitoring /etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf
XDP: Monitoring /home/<name>/.local/share/fonts
XDP: Monitoring /home/<name>/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/fonts
XDP: Monitoring /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/fonts
XDP: Monitoring /usr/local/share/fonts
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts
XDP: Monitoring /var/lib/snapd/desktop/fonts
XDP: Monitoring /home/<name>/.fonts
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/TTF
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-code-pro
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-han-sans
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/adobe-source-sans
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/cantarell
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/carlito
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/droid
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/encodings
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/gsfonts
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/liberation
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/misc
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/noto
XDP: Monitoring /usr/share/fonts/encodings/large
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Settings
XDP: providing org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Wallpaper
XDP: org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.gnome acquired

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:48.166: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6100:3-36: No property named "-GtkTreeView-horizontal-separator"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:48.166: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6101:3-34: No property named "-GtkTreeView-vertical-separator"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:48.166: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6159:3-29: No property named "-GtkTreeView-expander-size"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:48.166: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6192:3-37: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-arrow-width"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:48.167: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6193:3-38: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-arrow-height"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:48.167: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6194:3-39: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-border-radius"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:48.167: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6195:3-38: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-border-width"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:42:48.167: Theme parser error: gtk.css:6196:3-37: No property named "-GraniteWidgetsPopOver-shadow-size"

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 21:42:49.495: g_list_model_get_n_items: assertion 'G_IS_LIST_MODEL (list)' failed

(xdg-desktop-portal-gnome:202351): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:42:49.495: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

This may be relevant.

Then I must ask, are you using Wayland or X11?

When it “fails” trying to save a file, does it just not let you continue? Does is flash and then revert to the dialog window? Is the button greyed out?

Using “echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE” it says I am using X11.

After I select a different directory from the default “Location” and click on “save”, the dialog window goes away and the progress for the downloading file does not start and the download page (ctrl + j) does not show any progress or failure or anything of the file being downloaded at all.

This is bizarre.

Can you try with google-chrome from the AUR, just as a test?

Installed google-chrome from the “add/remove software” and opened up google-chrome and tried to download a file, same behavior occurs with this browser also. It’s the same white GTK file picker GUI, same behavior of not saving a file in a directory that is not the default “Location”, turning on and off the “ask where to save each file” does not resolve the issue I’ve been describing.

It’s likely related to the GTK file picker.

But now I wonder why my own Xfce system does not face this issue? Fully updated, just as yours and the other poster’s.

And just for kicks, no issues under KDE either (though Chromium detects the environment and uses KDialog under KDE, rather than GTK file picker.)

I’m thinking this is more specific to the GTK file picker (and/or a related dependency)

So its not just me!
Thanks for linking me to another issue that was brought up by another user. And thank you so much for trying to help me out with this issue.
I guess its just a waiting game for them to update GTK file picker.

But mine works just fine (consistent theme, colors, and saving files). This is what confuses me.

I’ll see what “window type” it detects when I invoke a save dialog under Chromium with Xfce.

Well, hot dog!

I don’t even have xdg-desktop-portal nor xdg-desktop-portal-gnome nor xdg-desktop-portal-gtk installed. (None of them.)

Try uninstalling them and see if it resolves the issue?

Not sure of their purpose, but I’ve been using my Xfce system for a while now with no issues, without these packages.

To be clear, I do not have (nor ever have installed) any xdg-desktop-portal-*
packages.

EDIT: And here’s the bug report: FileChooser portal adds directories read-only (#41) · Issues · GNOME / xdg-desktop-portal-gnome · GitLab

Real bug report posted in below posts.

Which, once again, I don’t understand the need for these packages? Chromium behaves find without them, under Xfce and KDE, in which it uses the native KDialog or GTK file picker, depending on the environment, without any issues, and with full theme consistency and shortcut integrations.

Seems to be a bug in GTK:

1 Like

I’ll try it just to satiate my curiosity.

Thanks for the bug issue link, and I’ll be damned it does work when you click into the filename field and press enter. I guess that solves my issue and I’ll wait for their stable release to fix it.

1 Like

Since you’re on Xfce, you might as well give it a try and see if it also resolves the theming/color issue.

As mentioned above, on my Xfce system, no such xdg-desktop-portal-* packages are installed, and Chromium works great for me, including a consistent file dialog theme, and downloading files.

good morning
Although not much help (it tells me that it is solved) clarify that in my system if both packages are installed xdg-desktop-portal (flatpak)and chromium works fine, just to try different things different system to yours:
1)I have a non gtk theme applied to chromium(High Contrast Colorful),
2) also change the position of the accept box via dconf(xsettings) “dialogsuseheader=false”.

happy day to all

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.