Non-working wifi for over a year,

Hello, hope im posting this correctly and in the right place, and doing the formatting right, i think this is how to do it… please dont bite my head off off, sorry in advance. im new to linux and such !!

so here the latest output from terminal:

Network:    Device-1:  Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac 
  Wireless Network Adapter   
  vendor:  Lite-On   driver:  
  ath10k_pci   v:  
  kernel   pcie:    gen:  1   speed:  2.5 
  GT/s   lanes:  1   bus-ID:  02:00.0   chip-ID:  168c:003e   
  class-ID:  0280   IF:  wlp2s0   state:  down   mac:  
  <filter>   
  Device-2:  Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI 
  Express Gigabit Ethernet   
  vendor:  Acer Incorporated ALI   
  driver:  r8169   v:  
  kernel   pcie:    gen:  1   speed:  
  2.5 GT/s   lanes:  1    port:  3000   bus-ID:  03:00.0   
  chip-ID:  10ec:8168   class-ID:  0200   IF:  enp3s0   
  state:  up   speed:  1000 Mbps   duplex:  full   mac:  
  <filter> 

And here is what i got about an hour earlier:

description: Wireless interface
                product: QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
                vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
                logical name: wlp2s0
                version: 32
                serial: 8e:37:33:09:3f:9c
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath10k_pci driverversion=6.1.31-2-MANJARO firmware=WLAN.RM.4.4.1-00288- latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
                resources: irq:137 memory:63200000-633fffff

I have had non-working wifi for over a year, and i thought it was hardware failure and but now i seems that i SHOULD work ?!?

can i somehow forcestart the thing if needed ?? as root in terminal or something =)

Hi @wena, and welcome!

We’re not here to bite your head off. If that happens, I think it’s instead you, biting your own head off. But I can point you here:

Hope you manage!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Please edit your post accordingly.

you may want to open a terminal and issue sudo dmesg > output.txt and maybe use a service like pastebin to post the output.

Card is recognized and driver is loaded, so it could be something on top of it. Other than dmesg which others request, try also:

$ sudo journalctl -u NetworkManager

press End key to move to the latest line, then you can slowly press [Page]Up to find some suspicious lines or just copy-paste some of them.

Thanks, this is great, Just the kind of help I need, I have no knowledge in html or anything. But I just marked the text i needed directly from Terminal and with a rightclick i had an option to “copy as html” and kinda liked the sound of that, yeah well

Yeah i have my system setup in english, I never like translations to swedish, which is is my main lang and Sweden is where i live, and I know how strange everything comes out and sounds when I and other swedes speak or write in english, I can spot swedish posters online, its something with sentence building that becomes weird, HA ! =)

I´ll get right on with fixing the editing in my post now when i have figured out how to do the ` backticks

Thanks again.

Hi thanks for helping.

i looked for pastebin in pamac , and after a dig for it in terminal i got a worrying warning

“DeprecationWarning: distro.linux_distribution() is deprecated. It should only be used as a compatibility shim with Python’s platform.linux_distribution(). Please use distro.id(), distro.version() and distro.name() instead.”

but there is something called “pastebinit” installed if i understand everything

i dont know, is this serious?

use the option preformatted text (the three ticks) as described below to paste content and btw. use it to provide the inxi information as also described in below

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    [HowTo] Provide System Information
    and press the three dots below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text. (use the option “preformatted text”)

:+1:

I’m also not English, yet I also prefer it for computer stuff. It’s just easier, but not everyone’s like that. Not everyone can be awesome!

There is no driver for your Wifi, it seems:

And according to this page it is included in the Kernel, if you use at least version 4.0. You can see which kernel you’re running, by executing:

uname -r

…in the terminal.

If you are running something greater than 4.0, then the module (driver) doesn’t get loaded for some reason. Which I don’t know what it is but could be that it’s blacklisted for some reason. Please provide the output of:

ls /etc/modprobe.d/

Have a look at [SOLVED] Wifi & Bluetooth (QCA6174 ath10k) not working in kernel 5.3.5 / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums .

Basically, if you run
dmesg | grep ath10k
and get
Failed to find firmware-N.bin' or 'could not fetch firmware files
you may be missing the package linux-firmware. Check if it’s installed, if not install it:
sudo pacman -S linux-firmware
and run
sudo modprobe -r ath10k_pci && sudo modprobe ath10k_pci