Mntray is disappearing from the system tray

I am sharing this. If you watch it, you will see the problem. I kept the mntray at default settings.

1 Like

For me, I didn’t get any news, I only get the error messages in the notification.
Screenshot from 2020-10-18 23-46-51

1 Like

I understand your problem. However I cannot reproduce it on my end.
Are you using some additional gnome extensions or something? (I see the “moon” icon thing is showing twice?)

@man_user
Different issue it seems. Could you make another thread for it?..

1 Like

One moon icon seen in the system tray is the Default Night Theme Switcher extension which I turned on.

Another moon icon is actually Gnome night light.

I use a clipboard indicator, internet speed meter and a cut off monitor extension.

But I already tried to solve the problem by disabling all those three extensions and it didn’t work.

Hmm, I’m pretty much out of ideas.
Do you have KStatusNotifierItem/AppIndicator Support enabled?

There seem to be two startup files also in the latest package, could you try:

sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/mntray.desktop

I just tried what you suggested and it didn’t help, I guess.

I am literally out of ideas too. :sweat_smile:

Current situation:

In a normal boot, mntray starts normally. If I reboot, mntray starts normally.
If I logout and log in, mntray does not autostart.

1 Like

Do have some “auto-save-session” thing active maybe (does this even exist in gome) ?

Maybe try to add a startup delay like this (make sure /etc/xdg/autostart/mntray.desktop file is gone):

echo "X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=10" >> ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop
1 Like

made sure /etc/xdg/autostart/mntray.desktop file is gone.

then did the echo one.

After that logged out and in. And mntray autostarted.

Then again logged out and logged in. Mntray didn’t autostart.

I am sorry. I think my problem is too unique. It is not solvable at this moment.

@MDIntisar,
I was checking your ~/.config/mntray/settings.json file and found % in the last line after }. Can you remove that and restart mntray.

"ErrorNotifications": true,
"DelayAfterStart": 60,
"SetCategoriesFromBranch": true
}%     <---------

Hope this will solve :sweat_smile:

Sorry. But I had already deleted all config files and then reinstalled mntray. But it didn’t solve the problem.

I can confirm that I have the same issue. No clue how to fix it.

1 Like

@moson I spent an evening trying different things (without satisfactory success) and I created an issue on your git where I put my findings.

Now I have your repo cloned and everything set up for building, so I can easily try anything that comes on your mind.

My programming skills are - well, ehm - not advanced (former student C and C++ developer here), so I will stay away from coding.

Thanks. I’ve replied to the issue at github.
I’m suspecting some issue with the lck file which is not properly deleted on logout.

I had the exact same issue with MEGASync - appeared to be clashing with pamac.

I have resolved the issue by checking “Hide tray icon when no update available” in pamac Preferences.

To be on the safe side, I also increased the autostart delay for MEGASync by setting X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=90 in ~/.config/autostart/megasync.desktop

Hope this helps someone…

This sounds similar to an issue with MEGASync. Have you tried this?

Replace the Exec line in ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop with Exec=sh -c “sleep 3 && mntray”

Credit to @Zesko if this works

1 Like

The startup delay should indeed help.
We did a lot of testing with @lakotamm. Ultimately it seems to be some gnome quirks…

There are a couple of ways to mitigate the issue via enabling certain extensions also, but the best for the moment is just to delay the startup as you described.

1 Like

I started experiencing this issue after the 2021-03-08 Stable Update. Just confirming that the startup delay suggested above by @smadgal / @Zesko does indeed work for me.

I started working on porting the app to Vala/GTK using XApp.StatusIcon. Let’s see how it goes…

1 Like

Installed mntray yesterday on an up-to-date Stable gnome installation and after rebooting a few times today, I experienced this problem.

Solved it by following @smadgal 's suggestion and this exact modification.

For newbies like me

Backup ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop :

cp -b ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop ~

Modify ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop :

nano ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop

Replace the line Exec= with the following:

Exec=bash -c "sleep 5 && /usr/bin/mntray"

Save Ctrl+O, Enter and Exit Ctrl+X

Try rebooting and then logging out. Check if mntray appears without fail and if everything works well, you could delete the backup file mntray.desktop that’s in your home folder.

EDIT: Removed sudo from the commands, because I realized we don’t need it and there’s no reason to risk unintended mistakes by applying changes with administrative privileges.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.